Help! What would you do to make the face of this house beautiful?
Maria Josee Wilson
We're seriously considering buying this country home & we want to update the front. We love cedar & rockwork.. Color suggestions also? Any ideas are appreciated!
houssaon
Would you like to paint it? What is your style? Modern, craftsman, country? Where is the cedar and the rock work?
June 20, 2013 at 9:39PM   
Maria Josee Wilson
No we are thinking some cedar & rock work, we are going for a more country feel
June 20, 2013 at 10:01PM   
Mohanraj S.Sekar
Ok. Here is a horribly, saddening drawing I made on MS Paint. But I hope you can understand my idea.
I see 2 thin post underneath the house as support. I would suggest widening them then adding some stonework between the posts. Also, the same stonework can make two not-so-wide, but wide enough short poles, with garden lamp to flank your stairs. A concrete (or brick like) touch to your stair handles. By the way, the green splashes on my picture is supposed to be plants or bushes. Lavender or blue hydrangeas would look great on a flower bed in front of the posts underneath the house. The look good in a different colour though. I'm unsure of what... But I'll comment when I get that figured out. Do let me know of what you think of my idea. I'd love to know, and appreciate the feedback.
June 20, 2013 at 11:09PM        Thanked by Maria Josee Wilson
Fred S
I like the lamp idea, but maybe do that stone all the way up the deck posts too instead of filling in the rest. It would be more cohesive.
June 20, 2013 at 11:31PM   
houssaon
If I were buying this house, I would want to put a screened porch on the front. I would extend the roof and the beams out and maybe enlarge the deck to make a screen area. I'd have the steps in the middle of the area, rather than to one side. I would switch out the windows to more country ones instead of one big plate of glass.

a house of six gables - the exterior, Farmhouse Cottage - Exterior, and Evening on the screen porch are some examples.
June 20, 2013 at 11:53PM        Thanked by Maria Josee Wilson
nancy22032
Painting the stairs and deck railing white would brighten things up a great deal whatever color you might decide to paint the house. Add a new door like the cross buck ones with small paned windows in the upper half with more framework around it and an old fashioned carriage style light beside it would help. Stone pillars to support the deck would certainly change things. You could have planter boxes of stone along the front but I'm afraid the local wildlife would frustrate much gardening. Oh those gorgeous trees - how I wish I was back in Oregon!
June 21, 2013 at 2:42AM        Thanked by Maria Josee Wilson
Fran and Rowena at Dilbeck Real Estate
One idea is to make the front door more "important" by painting it with an accent color. How would you feel about painting it a deep green (forest green) to have it stand out?
Make it more "friendly" and "inviting" by the addition of greenery and decor on the front deck.
Enhance the beauty of the natural surroundings and enjoy!
June 21, 2013 at 3:47AM        Thanked by Maria Josee Wilson
Judy M
I would change the direction of the stairs.
Park cars to left of house and have the stairs enter from that side of the deck instead of the front of deck.
Paint deck rails white (or replace them with white vinyl ones) it will make it look more like a porch than a deck.

Paint the house and change front door.
June 21, 2013 at 3:55AM     
Maria Josee Wilson
Wow, thanks for the feedback everyone!! All great ideas!
I'm thinking we are going to extend the roof on he front & have a covered porch/deck..
Rock work on the bottom and going around both sides of the house.
An arched front door.

In response to painting it deep forest green, I LOVE IT! Yes were really leaning towards the Cedar/Forest Green look..

I would like to stay away from white anything if possible, I love a warm cozy feel, browns are lovely too..
No whites or blues, too cold for me! :)
June 21, 2013 at 8:36AM     
Maria Josee Wilson
P.S. we would definitely be replacing the windows!!!
June 21, 2013 at 8:37AM   
DMH DESIGN
MJW-If you are going to extend the roof, work with a designer to make certain that you are compliant with all zoning and building codes and any snow loads(?) in your area. If you intend to cover the entire deck, I would consider that this will create a very dark outdoor space much of the year. I would consider adding a series of skylights on both sides of the roof ridge, to remedy this issue. I would also vault the roof, and not build any gable end wall, which will choke off the natural light even further. Make certain that the deck is sound in terms of both structural integrity and wear. The roof structure will be integral with the deck, and you don't want to be tearing up the deck to repair deck issues after you have spent a considerable sum of money to cover it over. The second and third photos are a recent project of mine that illustrate the skylight and open gable idea I speak of--and the gas fueled outdoor heater for spring and fall use. Happy Houzzing.
June 21, 2013 at 1:57PM        Thanked by Maria Josee Wilson
Maria Josee Wilson
Wow, that's beautiful DMH, definitely inspiring, you've opened my mind up a bit more for ideas :)
June 21, 2013 at 2:55PM     
DMH DESIGN
You're welcome. Are you located in the NW, U.S., by chance? I would love to consult on your project.
June 21, 2013 at 3:49PM   
Mohanraj S.Sekar
Maria Josee Wilson, we'd love to see how it turns out! :D
June 21, 2013 at 8:55PM        Thanked by Maria Josee Wilson
sweettealady
Or just extend a pergola off the existing beams,but either way I love that gabled roof from DMH and stone idea from mohanrajssekar but extended,like fred said...Relax and enjoy it,too,tho,that's why you love it
June 21, 2013 at 9:08PM        Thanked by Maria Josee Wilson
nwduck
Possibility: Do a lower open deck infilling the space between the existing deck and the ground with stone work veneer wall (eliminating the "hi, I'm on stilts!" thing). Perhaps rework the stairs into an "L" shape going from lower deck (stairs ascending right to left, landing, then stairs up to the existing level). That might give it a bit more interest. Also, Nancy 22032, we miss you too.
June 21, 2013 at 9:11PM        Thanked by Maria Josee Wilson
Ultra-tec Cable Railing by The Cable Connection
June 23, 2013 at 8:09AM        Thanked by Maria Josee Wilson
Maria Josee Wilson
@DMH No, I am in beautiful British Columbia, Canada :)
June 26, 2013 at 4:09PM   
DMH DESIGN
My loss, your gain :)
June 26, 2013 at 5:21PM   
DMH DESIGN
Maria, my pleasure. I hope that this all comes together nicely for you and yours.
June 28, 2013 at 1:14PM      Thanked by Maria Josee Wilson
Best way to have shower tile installed
I am having my shower completely resized and retiled....
Am I going about this the right way?
So my daughters are getting a bit older, nearly 6....
Need help completing dining room
Need mirrors, artwork, and table suggestions
Exterior paint color suggestions
Hello all, We have been renovating this beautiful...
In which direction should I run my wood floor?!?!
My initial thought is to run in lengthwise from the...