Need help please in picking wood cabinets
mimicherylof6
Great room, kitchen and dining room all open. Great room will have built in book shelves and media center. Dining room will have built in hutch/buffet. Granite slab picked is Astoria. We are not wanting white cabinets. The doors and trim are white.
We are building for the first time and I am over whelmed!
I know they aren't to be matched does this blend or look good together? Help is appreciated. Thanks!
Barnhart Gallery
Hi mimi -- Congrats on your new place. Have you spent lots of time searching the photo library on houzz? I'd suggest searches like "white trim dark floor kitchen," change up the search words as you go, and hone in on what looks best to you. I see you have two photos in your ideabook already -- that's a start. Keep going, and the best choice for you will become more clear. Good luck!
June 21, 2013 at 7:59am     
Nancy Hehmann
I think the combo will look sensational!
June 21, 2013 at 8:03am     
mimicherylof6
Here is pic of the toffee we liked and a toffee for more contrast. Will the toffee make the rooms seem to dark and small? There are big windows and a sky light
June 21, 2013 at 11:50am   
mimicherylof6
Oops the one on right is nutmeg
June 21, 2013 at 11:51am   
reddoordesigner
I think it's a beautiful combination! The woods work together and the light counters will help keep it from feeling too 'heavy'. I say go with the finish you love, don't compromise for a lighter one if that's not really what you want.
June 21, 2013 at 12:31pm     
mimicherylof6
Thanks so much for your input. We decided on white for the kitchen after spending hours on Houzz looking at pictures, the white appears so light and fresh in the kitchen. The bar stool side of the kitchen to be in the wood that will be in the great room book shelves and dining room hutch and buffet. What is your thoughts on these three with the hickory hand scraped distressed floors and the Natural brown glaze, nutmeg brown glaze or Toffee brown glaze? Thanks!
June 23, 2013 at 11:17am   
mimicherylof6
Select hardwood floor co. We have our wood floor my question was wanting opinions on cabinet choices. Granite and hardwood floor are picked and very happy with. Thanks though!
June 23, 2013 at 12:55pm   
Nancy Walton
I like the nutmeg finish. It coordinates with the wood floor, and provides a little bit of contrast.
June 23, 2013 at 1:03pm     
I prefer the natural brown glaze.
June 23, 2013 at 1:17pm     
Nancy Walton
Oh yes, that's the one I meant, too. Couldn't see the sign. It doesn't have the reddish tones the others do, so it's more of a neutral.
June 23, 2013 at 1:24pm   
mimicherylof6
Carolyn and Nancy, how do you think that will look with white kitchen cabinets and then the side of the island that is by the great room (where one will be sitting on bar stools) in the wood glaze along with the built ins in the great room and dining room?
June 23, 2013 at 1:42pm   
Nancy Walton
I think if you're going to do the island in the natural glaze, it should be the entire island, not just one side.
June 23, 2013 at 1:47pm     
I like the dark/dark combo with lots of white on the trim and the walls.

June 23, 2013 at 1:48pm   
mimicherylof6
Nancy, the other side of the island is in the kitchen where I would stand doing dishes, dishwasher there, cabinet with pull out for trash and recycling and drawers. Along the wall would be my refrigerator. Cabinets. Stove top, built in oven microwave and cupboards. Looking at pictures I saw the side that was in the kitchen the same color and the side that was in the great room like the great room built ins. Oh is this overwhelming! It is so consuming:)
June 23, 2013 at 1:59pm   
Nancy Walton
I think it would look too patchworky, like you didn't have enough of either cabinet to go all the way with either.
June 23, 2013 at 2:01pm     
Nancy Walton
If you wanted white in the kitchen, then do something like a stacked stone on the other side.
June 23, 2013 at 2:02pm     
reddoordesigner
I agree with Nancy, the whole island should be one or the other. I've seen many kitchens with white perimeter cabinets and wood island and it looks great! Plus the lower island cabinets are going to be more likely to get stuff splashed on them as you dump stuff in trash, etc so if they're darker they'll be less fussy to keep clean (or if you run out of time to wipe them down it won't be so noticeable :)
June 23, 2013 at 5:51pm     
Absolutely, please make the island cabinets all one color!
June 23, 2013 at 6:39pm     
curlycook
I agree, do the entire island in the natural wood with the white cabinets surrounding it. It will look fantastic. Your floor is beautiful!
June 23, 2013 at 6:57pm     
"Need help picking cabinet color with wood floor"
HELP PLEASE! We are building a home and I am overwhelmed...
Need help. Picked a cherry wood for cabinets
Picked a cherry wood for cabinets.. Have not picked...
Need help picking a cabinet color to go with oak cocoa wood floors
I have oak cocoa wood floors and need to pick a contrasting...
Need help on picking a wood and stain for my new kitchen cabinets
I have golden oak stain and hard wood floors. The trim...
Bedrooms in a Grade II listed house
Could I please have comments/advice of placing the...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...
Need help choosing quartz countertop. designers Needed!
Hello, Could someone with design expertise please help...
Cozy living room
How to achieve a very cozy inviting warm feeling living...
Bedrom Update
Here is the original thread.. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/535749/Bedroom-Help. I...