What do I do with this wood wall
megmcb
We are moving into a new home and have zero home improvement experience but are excited to learn! These photos show the wood walls in our new family room. Would love to get some ideas on how to paint them. Will they have that nautical/beach house look if we paint them white? and how do you paint them? the opposing walls are white painted brick that I think we are going to sheet rock over because it used to be the exterior of the house...and you can tell! Our family room looks sort of pasted onto the house. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Barnhart Gallery
Hmm. From the photos, I kind of like the pecky paneling. And the brick. I'd rather see you update the ceiling and vertical blinds. And I suppose if they don't look well in person, maybe then paint the brick and paneling. Hard to tell without seeing these in person...
June 21, 2013 at 12:54PM     
megmcb
How/what would you do to the ceiling?
June 21, 2013 at 12:58PM   
bluenan
I agree with everything you just said Barnhart Gallery! I think the pecky cypress style paneling already looks beachy. The flooring could use some updating as well as the ceiling and vertical blinds. Try some bamboo blinds on the windows to replace the verticals.
June 21, 2013 at 1:03PM   
moinouvelle
A house I purchased had the same paneling problem. I filled in the gaps with a type of putty that acts like wood and sanded then painted. You could not tell it was paneling. You can remove the dropped ceiling but I am sure you will find problems and will have to repair it.
June 21, 2013 at 1:12PM   
Drafting & Soil Monitoring Services LLC
Actually, a nautical theme may emulate a harbor or fishing locale along a river, bay or the ocean, like the Chesapeake Bay or the coast of Maine.
Walls can be red, white and blues. This pretty much make up a nautical beach decor and there's no restriction on how the colors are combined. Personally, I would like rustic white walls with a lightly ragged light pastel blue, almost "fuzzy" on the wall. (I hope you got the idea) Anyways, the walls may be light blue or dark blue; or three walls may be white with one red or blue wall for accent. Think dark woods for the floor, if your walls are lighter, to emulate wooden boats of yesteryears. Area rugs may be creamy white to balance the dark walls and/or floors. Are you a patriot? Then, swing the opposite direction with a red and blue patterned rug to contrast against white walls. Pictures may be of tall sailing ships or lighthouses.
June 21, 2013 at 1:12PM   
bluenan
If it can't be sheet rocked, they make a wood suspended ceiling that comes in natural and could be painted white. http://classiccoffers.com/index.cfm
June 21, 2013 at 1:22PM   
Barnhart Gallery
Fiddling around with the ceiling, floor and windows...and I couldn't resist adding a woodpecker for the pecky panels!
June 21, 2013 at 1:33PM     
BABY Girl Nursery PAINT color
Hello dear houzzers, I'm stuck on what color pink...
20' ceilings dilemma
we are considering painting our kitchen, hall and living...
Kitchen toe kickers
Hello, If I purchase a complete new cabinets and ask...
Calling all mid century modern enthusiasts!
Well, I tried to gather interest in my local area for...
How to decorate 20 ft high main wall over sofa?
Struggling over what to do with this huge space in...