Painting Heywood Wakefield
mjmeacham
I love this piece but I don't think it goes with the rest of the room which is painted furniture, sheer curtains. Is it criminal to paint it? It's the original finish but not in great condition.
No crime in my book but you may recieve a few citations from others;)
June 21, 2013 at 9:04PM   
Ironwood Builders
Depends on whether you care what you can get for it later. Heywood Wakefield is collectible in its original condition and can be very expensive in some styles. Try looking up your dresser on eBay for a random sample of what it is worth as is..and then contrast that with the total loss of value if you paint it.
June 21, 2013 at 9:10PM   
mjmeacham
So true. Do you agree the styles are too different to mix?
June 21, 2013 at 9:11PM   
mjm - If I were you, I'd try to get the other pieces to work with it, rather than the other way around. Painted furniture can be very mcm - your chair has clean straight lines. Consider taking the painted elements to a different shade - one of them glossy mid-tone gray - like a classic french gray and the other to a deep shade of your accent color. If robins egg blue is your thing / blue-green, paint the other one a deep peacock. You don't have so many style points that you need to run away from the best thing you've got. Magic eraser plus restore-a finish and feed n wax and the dresser would be amazing. Curtains are cheap compared to paint and furniture. Your lamps and accent pillow fabrics tell me you do love modern style. That off-center window behind the bed isn't served with sheers anyway - you need to drape that whole wall in something opaque like twill grommet curtains, and then hang that beautiful nude with a huge art mat in an oversized frame on a cord in front of the drapery centered on the bed. Pull them open over the window for light. That will help your lack of headboard until you can build or acquire one you like. Upholstered square edges would be amazing.

Also, I can tell you have an overhead fixture based on the lighting - might as well have a modern ikea fixture hanging there over the bed to repeat the silver tones in all the other lamps. I mention these elements, because it seems to me that for $300 dollars at ikea /paint store in curtains, rods, frames, light fixture and paint/wax, your existing room would be transformed in a terrific way. Maybe that is a summers worth of projects and then you save up for new bedding as a Christmas present to yourself.
June 21, 2013 at 9:21PM   
Maryl Hershelman
Don't paint it...work around it...enjoy it's flaws.
June 21, 2013 at 9:40PM   
mjmeacham
Wow. Great suggestions. You are right. It is my best piece. And I do like modern but the modern night stands I liked were so expensive. What is mjm? I'm actually moving in a month so I won't have to deal with the asymmetrical window. But heavier curtains would be better. I guess I'm transitioning from shabby chic to something else. It's a sleep number split King so I haven't known what to do about a headboard. The painting suggestions you made would certainly help. Or maybe I should give those pieces to the grandkids and keep looking
June 21, 2013 at 9:41PM   
mjmeacham
Oh. Mcm. Mid century modern.
June 21, 2013 at 9:44PM   
mjmeacham
So what us the best way to incorporate a Heywood Wakefield dresser into a bedroom scheme?
June 22, 2013 at 8:12PM   
Are those chairs heywood Wakefield or Eames?
I have a set of chairs like those, looking to complete...
Help Identifying Heywood-Wakefield Chair Model Number
Hoping someone can refer me to a source that can help...
First timer
i just bought my own home. and First i need help with...
"Need decor advice for new home"
I have a clean slate to create a polished casual open-concept...
I need advice on what to put in my kitchen where the washer and dryer
I did a small remodel in my kitchen and I'm left with...
How to blend in VINYL window frame colors?
I have a great room with wood clad 14' cathedral ceilings...
What do you think of folding screens in the living room?
What do you think of using folding screens in the living...