Buying a house that needs some help!
Amanda Gilliland
I'm in the process of buying a 1989 house that has mostly original finishes. I've always had white trim and the dining and formal living hall and stair rail are all stained wood trim. I have no idea of a color that would work with that. I thought about unusual grey from sherwin williams but was hoping to get an opinion from someone who knows what they are doing. (I'm stripping wall paper too) the carpet is a very light green which is throwing me too.
last dilemma is that they painted all the trim int he kitchen and family rom at upstairs this grey color that makes it hard for me to determine what color is best. help please!!
last question is what are your thoughts on the kitchen? the floor is terrible (linoleum tiles) and my husband is all about the natural cabinets. I was thinking off white cabinets with the antique glaze and paint the island a color? but he likes that natural color? whats a good compromise? my furniture is french country
tweva
You bought my house! Ha, seriously - had many of the same problems.
Personally, in the dining room I would ditch the plantation shutters and paint all the trim white or whatever suits your personal color aesthetic, remove the wallpaper and dated chandelier. The wood trim dates the room. If you have the budget, consider stripping and sanding the floor and having it stained a darker color.

In the living room I'd do the same - remove the shutters, paint the trim. Do you like the green? If not ditch the carpet. There may be hardwood under the carpet did you check?

I painted over miles of almost the same color in the 'den' or family room. Uh I didn't like it - depressing. I'd paint all the trim, remove the ugly ceiling fan and put in a modern day light fixture/chandelier. Again, personally I don't like oak floors - I'd refinish/stain them

Your kitchen depends on your budget. Like everything. You can put engineered hardwood down over your linoleum, or rip it up and tile it (lots of work). Again, I'd ditch the ceiling fan and put in a french country chandelier, change out the knobs and paint the trim. If you are keeping your cabinets for budget reasons, you can degloss or remove the finish and pickle them (lighten) or glaze them.

Good luck!
June 22, 2013 at 5:24am     
Genevieve
In order for me to help I need a colour ,sofa ,fabric anything that you will be using in the room would be of great help .
June 22, 2013 at 5:30am     
motownmom
It's a lovely home.

I've always personally thought that wood colored trim "cuts" into the room in a way that white trim does not. It's purely a personal selection. If I were moving into this house I'd paint the moldings white, which sounds like what you are familiar with. Do you like the paintcolor on the paneling/beadboard in the room with the fireplace? If not, I'd also paint that white. I think it is a cleaner look, but again, that's a personal preference. You have a lot of light & windows, so if you keep it the color it is, it's not dark.

Do the rooms depicted in pictures 1 & 3 run together? It's hard to tell how this all flows. I can see the kitchen through the door in the first picture, so assume this is the dining area in picture 1.

People may disagree, but I think it's hard to find a color that DOESN'T go with wood. I personally like pale butter yellows and soft blues. A pale butter yellow would go in the room with the green carpet if you are keeping the carpet.

As for the kitchen, I would happen to agree with you that the cabinets would be better white or offwhite with a glaze, but I happen to like white or off white cabinets. It's a less stark option with white appliances. And yes, the island can be a different color than the cabinets. I've seen that look in many places. I'm not sure there is a compromise between keeping the cabinets as they are, or white. Depending on the colors of your kitchen table and the fabrics, you could do JUST the island in a distressed look and play that up? Choose any color you like that will create a coordinated look with what you do in the other rooms. If that is a butcher block top, you can do yellow, white, or any other color that would look great with your other decor items. For the distressed look, chalk & clay paints are popular now. That's what I used in my kitchen.

I just redecorated my kitchen and thought long and hard about the colors I wanted and looked at probably thousands of pictures for ideas. To me french country is similar to cottage, but in a more refined way. Just search for french country kitchens if it's important to you to match up the decor with the furniture you have. It's also not hard at all to paint your own cabinets, I've done it twice. Time consuming, yes. Hard, no.

I like the shutters. I'd personally like them better if they were white, but they'd be a major pain to paint. They aren't cheap which is why I don't have them in my home, LOL.

Enjoy making your plans and executing them!
June 22, 2013 at 5:38am     
Amanda Gilliland
I have sage green couch and recliner for the family room with a brown light blue and green rug, I'll add a pic of the rug for the room with the fire place
pic 1 is the dining to the left of the foyer pic 2 is the formal living to right of the foyer
I have only 1 dining table and a hutch which is a wood top with white french country bottom and no breakfast table so I'm wide open on colors. I want to keep the shutters, they are very expensive and I figured keep them natural to match the front of the house which is all that trim. biggest concern is finding a good color to match that grey trim and that wood trim. ultimately I'd update all cabinets and counters but at this point Im trying to figure out paint as that's what I can do immediately... until I recover from sticker shock on how much it costs to actually buy a house up front!! lol
June 22, 2013 at 6:04am     
Judith Bruton
When I am at a loss for ideas or my mind does the mental block, I fall back on a Internet search engine (Google or Bing) and type in "images of..." and to be honest, there are so many different looks when you use the term "country french decorating ideas". Hope this helps!
June 22, 2013 at 6:21am     
catieb
Men always want the cabinets to stay with the"real wood" look. Don't know why but I've heard it countless times. Perhaps you can keep the bottom ones stained and paint the uppers. Although I'd stain the cabinets a less dated stain color.
June 22, 2013 at 6:53am     
Janis Aamodt
Of course white trim is refreshing but your gray will work well with natural brining up to modern and fresh also carry that Grey to your cupboards with a light glaze over the top, I then would use a marble in grey whit tone for counters and hardwood floors to pull in the dinning room but you could stain all the wood darker to Match a darker wood floor! This is all neutral so most of your favorite colors to pop threw the dining room and kitchen like in chair art and drapes .
June 22, 2013 at 7:03am     
Janis Aamodt
Ps white accents will also give a cottage or Nantucket feel
June 22, 2013 at 7:05am     
Genevieve
Now the dining room, if your husband wants to keep the wood let him for now :) looking at an empty room and all that bare trim is a bit much but when you have painted or wallpapered the walls it will look totally different .

This is what I have in mind for your s if you like you could carry the same green of the living room with it .

]

Click on draperies project 2
http://www.juliawesthome.com/58p_window_coverings.htm
June 22, 2013 at 7:39am     
Vivian
What you are working with is a red/green palette. The wood is actually a very reddish brown. The walls would look nice in something like Benjamin Moore Colorado Clay or Nutmeg and the wood trim will "blend in" better. Are you using your own furniture? And do you want to work with the current flooring or are you considering changing them all. White trim is in vogue currently but it has come and gone in the past just like the "wood" changes from lights to dark. If you are planning staying there for a long time, only make changes you move you closer to what you love or you will want to move again because it is still not "your" house. If you know you will never love red/green, change it for sure.
June 22, 2013 at 7:49am   
This house needs some detail and character, help!
Just purchased this house and know that it needs some...
new house in need of some design help
We are moving into our new home in 5 days! I'm so...
Need help putting some 'pow' into the front of my house
I am going to be replacing the cedar siding with a...
I need help giving our house some curb appeal!
Help! I am lost on how to landscape our front yard....
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Advice on wood paneling please!
I have never worked with wood paneling before but I...
To paint wood beams or not to paint wood beams
In a dilemma! We have recently moved into our new...
Any help for my room? Thanks!!!
Hi, I'm hannah, I am going to be a junior this year...
Backyard Advice Please :)
My yard is in dire need of change and I would really...