Tired Exterior - Colour Ideas for Front Door and Shutters?
macintoshed
We just moved in to this 27-year old house. The exterior is very dated. The longer-term plan is to replace the siding, troughs, roof, etc. but for now I'm just looking for some colour ideas for the front door and shutters. Any other quick/easy/inexpensive ideas to make the exterior less dated would be appreciated.
Janis Aamodt
Flower boxes in black and shutters and front door and adding color in flowers and a green shrubs in font if paint grey with your favorite color for front door new hard ware and light or beef up your supports on the front still flower boxes always a winner
June 22, 2013 at 7:37am     
Sylvia
I would paint out the siding on the upper storey to more closely match the brick. I think the white siding on the top is what is making you feel like your house looks dated. I would also replace the brass accents and also the white light fixtures with oil rubbed bronze. Not sure what's going on with the mailbox but I think the post situation looks a bit strange. Replace the mailbox or spray paint it with oil rubbed bronze paint and attach it to the house. I can't see your garage door but I have a hunch it might be white. I would also paint this out so it blends with the brick colour. The garage is not something you want to highlight. As for the front door, hard to tell what colour you have there currently. I would change this to a brighter colour - maybe turquoise or pale yellow or something. Good luck!
June 22, 2013 at 7:40am     
macintoshed
Thanks for the ideas! The mailbox has been taken down and we've added some landscaping since this photo was taken. The front door is the same (yucky) brown as the shutters and the garage door is a cream colour, similar to the siding.
June 22, 2013 at 7:57am   
macintoshed
Also, kind of a silly question but where would the window boxes go? On the second-storey windows?
June 22, 2013 at 8:02am   
bluenan
Remove the shutters and remove the kickplate. Replace the small light with a larger oil rubbed bronze fixture and put a large black pot with an evergreen plant to the right of the door. A black bench to replace the lone chair will give the porch more presence. A nice mailbox mounted on the house will make a big difference. I know you asked about door color, but I like the black and if you make other small changes they will make more of an overall impact than just painting the door a color, and these changed will carry through to your future updates. It looks like you're in the process of landscaping, as well.
Cocoa VB, Garden Gate Ebony Doormat
Antique Envelope Mailbox
Cambridge Sconce
Mill Valley, CA
June 22, 2013 at 8:04am        Thanked by macintoshed
Sylvia
I have no idea about the window box idea!! However I would definitely consider painting the front door right away. It definitely needs to stand out more and that's a quick and easy fix. Once you change out the light fixtures and door hardware to the oil rubbed bronze you may find that the dark brown eaves and shutters don't look so bad. A darker greyish taupe for the siding and garage door will blend it all together.
June 22, 2013 at 8:13am     
bluenan
No flower boxes, your house should be more sophisticated, not cutesy.
June 22, 2013 at 8:19am     
kellyography
What about losing the shutters all together (they're not proportional and most likely don't function), painting the upper half, sidelights, garage, etc., a great dusty navy, and making the door and trim pop in a lighter shade of grey blue. Or flip that and make the darker shade go on the door and trim, and the lighter grey/blue on everything else. If my computer wasn't so slow, I'd Photoshop it to give you a better visual, but I've attached a photo of a brick house with grey and blue trim to give you an idea. A cool industrial light fixture can replace the dated lantern (which most likely matches the garage fixtures). With bright flowers and some cool landscaping, you'll have a house that doesn't look quite so much like 1986.

Magnolia Residence 03
Seaside Nostalgia Outdoor Wall Light
Maxim Wharf Outdoor Wall Light
June 22, 2013 at 8:20am     
The Color People
Paint the siding. The house separates into a top half and bottom half and that is what is really hurting it's appearance. You want to use a mid tone color that goes with the brick but a lot of colors will do that nicely. Then paint the shutters and doors in a color you are fond of to add the sparkle. Just painting them alone will not make much difference in how the house looks.

And of course landscaping of some sort even if it is just flowers.
June 22, 2013 at 1:01pm     
motownmom
I would probably remove the shutters, I think it's what is partially dating the house.

It appears the roof is similar in color to the brick. I personally like a bright door, because it's obvious the door, in shade, doesn't stand out. I'd probably use a nice mellow (not mustardy) yellow. I might even paint the areas to the side of the door the same color, whatever you choose, to make more of a statement colorwise.

If your long term intent is to replace the siding, I wouldn't recommend going through the trouble of painting it. It appears the gutters are a brown that semi-blends in with the brick and roof, so leave that for now also. If the cream garage door matches the siding, again, I'd leave that for now.

I'd probably add a couple of adirondack chairs or standard wood rockers for sitting on the porch, with a small table in between. They could be in a color that coordinates with the door. I also like gliding benches. We sit on our porch a lot in the spring, summer and fall and have a gliding bench. The cushions can pick up the colors in your door.
June 22, 2013 at 1:57pm        Thanked by macintoshed
face39
In the photo of course the door looks dark. Even painting it white would help. If you have the stomach for it how about some kind of yellow or orange. Something that would go with the brick. Whatever color you go with I suggest something light.
June 25, 2013 at 8:08pm   
jesse16
I would paint the siding a complimentary colour to the brick. If keeping the shutters, lighten dramatically and update hardware. I'd like to see the new landscaping
June 25, 2013 at 8:36pm   
need advice about front door colour and shutters and garage door
We want a different a stronger front door color; there...
Paint Colour for Front Door and Shutters
I need to help with paint colour for my front door...
Front door and shutter colour!!! please help!
I hope I can get some ideas--- Please! I've got an...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...
Hubbardton Forge or Le Klint Pendant?
I bought both of these pendants (top left of each collage)...
Teen girl trying to decide furniture layout
Hi, I just got my own room ad am trying to decide how...
Reposting possible lighting layout
If anyone could please give an opinion on the attached...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....