Need help with accessorizing bathroom
lindacurly
June 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
small bathroom approximately 10ft by 7 ft. need help with window treatment, something for walls, towel choices, etc. walls are Behr emminence a medium blue, floor tiles are tan, desk and chest are there as storage because space elsewhere is minimal. considering shelves over toilet, different chair with desk?
thanks for any and all help
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
lindacurly
other side of bathroom
June 22, 2013 at 7:53am   
motownmom
I love blue so I approve your paint choice. I also think the cat matches purrrrfectly :)

You mention the desk is there for storage. Do you use it as a vanity? If not, I'd think you should consider getting a simple Ikea block shelving unit in white, like Expedit, Besta or Billy. They have baskets that fit into the open areas (Martha Stewarts fabric storage baskets at Lowe's also fit), they also have insertable doors that close the cubes.

If you need/want the desk there, I'd probably change out the hardware on the small table, vanity & desk to be silver toned or nickle, to match the faucet. I think they look nicer with blue & white.

Since your window does not appear to be frosted glass, I always like the look of cafe curtains on the lower 1/2 or 1/3 of a window. If the window frame is deep enough you can use a spring rod, if not, you can get rods that can be sized to fit and attach to the molding. It allows in natural light but provides privacy.

For colors, I have always loved blue & yellow together with white. Nice clean look and timeless. Depending on the decor in the rest of your home, a nautical theme might look cute here, or you could go the cottage route with the furniture you have in there. These would also go with the pictures you have on the desk, if you are intending to hang them in there. I also have the exact same white beach chair picture. Nice taste, LOL.

I think the chair is fine. If you choose to make or buy curtains for the bottom part of the window, it's very easy to unscrew a seat, replace or cover the seat cushion, use a staple gun to attach the fabric and re-attach it. It would give you a uniform look.
June 22, 2013 at 8:12am      Thanked by lindacurly
kellyography
I love the paint, and the use of a desk as a vanity. I agree with replacing the knobs on the desk. You could go with a brushed nickel or stainless to match the sink hardware, but you could also add some sparkle and color with patterned or glass knobs.

I'd get a larger, framed mirror to hang over the desk, put the photos and other framed items hung in a gallery wall configuration over the chest, and another piece of art over the toilet.

For the window, why not lose the blinds all together, frost the window with temporary contact paper, and if you still think it needs a little something, a roman shade in a fun pattern? If you want a warmer accent color, coral might look nice with the blue and white, or for a cooler accent, try a deeper grey in the same family of blues as your wall.

Pressed Flower Glass Knob, Pink
Bubbled Glass Knob, Clear
White Chevron Cotton Towels
Organic Wood Grain Towel
June 22, 2013 at 9:06am   
lindacurly
Thank you for the suggestions, I can't believe I totally overlooked the hardware, Another question, A mirror over the desk ? question about size and shape, would it look funny since the one over the sink is so " dinky" . Also I have never done a gallery wall , would it be best to have similar frames and do the pictures need to coordinate. I do like the grey towels, I was thinking more on the french line ( but don't seem to be achieving it) than nautical but that is okay too.
June 24, 2013 at 9:05am