Enormous Wall - What to do with it?
Jennifer Cannon
Hello, I have a huge two story wall in my family room that we have never figured out what to do with. I've thought about covering it with barnwood since we do live on a ranch, however we are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and I'm afraid that the barnwood will be too casual compared to the elegance of the kitchen. Anyway, I welcome any suggestions!
Jennifer Cannon
I should mention we are currently in the process of remodeling our kitchen and adding a loft so we've decided to paint the rest of the house as well. Here is a picture of the work in progress.
   June 22, 2013 at 10:54AM
Jennifer Cannon
Does anyone have any ideas?
   June 24, 2013 at 12:39PM
Ciara Crewz
what will this new lofted area be?
   June 24, 2013 at 12:43PM
Jennifer Cannon
The lofted area will mainly be a kids area. There will be a TV and piano and couches and desks as well as a double sided fireplace that connects to our office. The loft overlooks the main family room. I've attached a few other photos of the area. One shows the two story fireplace that is directly across the bar portion of the big wall as well as a direct shot of the area under construction. The loft will be above and the new kitchen will obviously be below.
   June 24, 2013 at 1:21PM
Ciara Crewz
I would maybe do two tall book shelves at either end and frame in 3 large rectangles for chalk board paint! keep it grown up friendly with a floating shelf below with more traditional edge details.
Looks great so far!
Ciara
   Thanked by Jennifer Cannon    June 24, 2013 at 1:25PM
Brenda
I'm not sure you HAVE to do anything. I think it's okay as it is.

But if you want something up there, It is such a big space ... I would go to an architectural salvage center and find a HUGE piece of signage that appeals to you. you live on a ranch, so maybe something "feed store" related ...
1 Like   Thanked by Jennifer Cannon    June 24, 2013 at 1:35PM
Brenda
here's a Houzz inspiration photo with barn wood on the upper half of a two story room ... interesting look.

]
   June 24, 2013 at 3:10PM
Jennifer Cannon
All good ideas! I like the idea of an architectural salvage center. I'll check it out. Thanks everyone.
   June 25, 2013 at 12:21PM
Coastal Home Design Studio
We have beautiful art pieces that are very large (very large!). A few well placed pieces would look absolutely beautiful and fit well within that very large space.
   June 25, 2013 at 12:27PM
Your home is my home. My finish is more formal than yours, but basically we have the same house. My clerestory windows run all the way around the house.

I do not even attempt to decorate anywhere that is higher than eye level…so 6 to 8 feet off the floor. I love dark oils, particularly Hudson River School and I love fabric. So all the attention getting things are down where you see, feel and appreciate them.

I am sure you will agree there is nothing worse than some odd sized wall decor floating way up on a wall.

And, how do you clean all that stuff?

I know, we could put up a 8 foot wide black fuzzy stuffed spider and just get it over with. :>)
   June 25, 2013 at 12:37PM
Coastal Home Design Studio
People actually do it all the time, and its beautiful. Use a ladder to clean, its worth it! This piece is 42" x 99" and is elegant.
   June 25, 2013 at 12:55PM
Coastal Home Design Studio
Here are a few pics of large spaces....
   June 25, 2013 at 12:59PM
bubblyjock
If you like the idea of hanging something up there, how about a lovely big old Persian rug, which I think would complement the sophisticated rustic look of your kitchen.

It doesn't have to be immaculately flawless and new - some of the older more worn ones have oodles of charm (and are often considerably less expensive). It will also do double duty as a very effective sound-deadener (in such a lovely cavernous space, you might find it a bit noisy or echo-y with a crowd). And, unlike most artwork, it isn't shiny, so you won't get weird glints of reflected light bouncing off it (won't show the cobwebs, either, lol).

I found a pic sort of like I describe, although it looks more like a vintage Aubusson piece. Still, gives you the idea of how enriching a juicy rug looks on a wall:

1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 1:03PM
IMO, it is too commercial looking for me and just too far up and away to view it comfortably.

The stairway is different as the art work climbs along with you.

Jennifer, here is a great idea book that may give you some inspiration.

June 25, 2013 at 1:10PM