Please help! we need a solution for our kitchen/dinning room layout
cnranford
If you had this tiny kitchen layout, what would you do? Our kitchen connects to our dinning room, and we are unable to expand, also we don’t have alternative space for our dinning room. Please help me with ideas, would like it to be roomier and allow for a better flow. Currently only one person can be in the kitchen at a time. Thank you, your ideas are much appreciated.
Stanton Designs-online design services
Do you have a budget for this project? You could expand and still have room for a table.
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 5:31PM
Hard to tell from the pics, but my first inclination is to take out the peninsula and extend the base cabinets all the way along the window wall to where you have the corner cabinet.
1 Like   June 22, 2013 at 6:05PM
This looks like a well finished kitchen even though it's on the small side. If budget allows then a complete remodel may be required with a L-shaped layout.
1 Like   June 22, 2013 at 6:18PM
Fred S
A floor plan of the kitchen and surrounding rooms will be needed to give any intelligent feedback.
1 Like   June 22, 2013 at 6:27PM
JWinteriors
From what I see, remove the wall dividing the kitchen and living room. Wrap your kitchen around all walls in kitchen and dining room. Add a huge island that seats 4 people comfortably. You will have maximum storage as well as room for several cooks in the kitchen. Your open floor plan will make your living space look enormous.
2 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 6:46PM
cnranford
I'm adding a couple of more photos, just to give a better feel for how tight our space is. We love our small house, I'm just hoping I can have some help in the kitchen:) Another problem for us is feeling comfortable sinking big money into a remodel for a kitchen that's attractive and is quite the triangle.
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 6:58PM
Fred S
Those look more like stairs than living room.
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 7:01PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Is that a door going down to the basement in your kitchen area? If so, can you eliminate it and use another access possibility? How tall are your ceilings?
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 7:11PM
Fred S
Need a picture looking at the refrigerator. That corner needs help.
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 7:15PM
cnranford
Yes it is a door leading to our basement, and without getting too creative I don't think we can relocate it. Our ceilings are 7'10"
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 7:38PM
Fred S
Did you buy the house this way?
0 Likes   June 22, 2013 at 7:49PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Do you step down onto a landing and then turn to go down to the basement? What is on the other side of the kitchen? If there is another room, can a door be placed on the other side of the landing in the wall of that room?
1 Like   Thanked by cnranford    June 22, 2013 at 8:00PM
JWinteriors
I now see the whole dilemma...wall must stay. Cabinetry could still wrap around all the way to the entry door counter height table would fill center...the peninsula is what confines the space. Use your uppers and base cabinets to save money. Add more of them to finish the space. Add a chandelier over the center of the new table. Under cabinet lighting under all uppers
2 Likes   Thanked by cnranford    June 22, 2013 at 9:02PM
Fred S
The cabinets originally went around the room. That is why the window is the height it is.
1 Like   June 22, 2013 at 9:13PM
cnranford
I really appreciate all your comments and I'm so thankful I found this site. I recently paid a Kitchen Planner their consultation fee and she told me I needed to go to contract with her before she gave me any ideas. Wow, Fred you may be correct. We bought the house with the kitchen renovated. @Scott Design once you open the basement door there are three steps leading directly into our basement. My only concern with wrapping the kitchen around the room, is that I'll no longer be able to fit our dinning room table. I need to fit 6 people plus this is the area for homework and bills. I was thinking of some how moving our radiator and doing some kind of bench seating on that wall. We have a small budget between 15k to 18k and in my area (ny metro) that's considered small. Thanks again for your time.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 7:15AM
Fred S
Scott designs and myself keep asking about the corner with the stairs, because we think it may be the best solution. The previous owners didn't like what everyone else seams to want to suggest and paid good money to move it. Just like the window, Scott designs and I are seeing a very real possibility that nobody else seams to be looking hard enough at. You won't even take a picture of it. It is the elephant in the room everyone wants to ignore, but it is often the least costly and most appropriate fix.
1 Like   June 23, 2013 at 11:27AM
cnranford
Here's a photo of the basement door open, please let me know if I need to take another photo from a different angle. In the basement, adjacent to the stairs, is a small closet. I'm interested in hearing more.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 1:39PM
Fred S
Thanks. So this is like w split level? The reason I always ask for a floor plan sketch right away is so I don't have to ask so many questions that might sound dumb from where you are standing. Moving the stairs could make it a 3 person kitchen. My next thought is could they be moved to the other side of the upper stairs? So the real question is: do you like the idea of your table being in the middle of the kitchen, or would you rather explore other alternatives? It looks like a very narrow stairs now that I get a clear view of it.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 1:56PM
cnranford
I'm happy to take as many photos as needed and i can try to take measurements if that helps too. We don't want to over invest in our kitchen since we bought our house at the top of the market and in the end it will still be a small house. I'm willing to comprise if it makes our remodel easier and helps cut costs. I'm not a big fan of the table in the middle of the kitchen but I'm open to it if its the best layout.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 2:20PM
Fred S
From the basement, a picture of as much basement wall as you can looking at both stairs, and another from the stove looking at the stairs door shut and more floor.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 2:22PM
Fred S
If we could loose the stairs and put the range in the middle of that wall, and a butcher block insert where the stove was, instead of replacing the top, would that be comfortable?
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 2:26PM
cnranford
Here's some more photos, one's of my basement wall, you'll see the closet door I was referring to. This is the only entrance to our basement. The other photo is taken from the stove area. If we move the stove to the middle where would the refrigerator go. Also, I believe we'll have to replace cabinets, the previous owners only refaced the old ones and I can hardly fit anything in them. The big question is do I have options for my situation keeping with in my budget and my next question is should contact a GC, Architect or Kitchen Planner? My husband think we should live with it, but even our dinning room is tight and we have to squeeze in to that space as well.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 4:50PM
Fred S
Regardless of the budget, it is good to research all the possibilities. Look to the long term. No use spending money on a band-aid just to do something different later. My approach is always cost conscious. This is why I suggested trying to live with the current counters for now. In order to move the stairs first and not break the bank. How wide are the stairs from the refrigerator to the other side? And how wide is the cabinet to the left of the stairs?
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 5:46PM
cnranford
The stairs measure from front of fridge to wall 37 inches. The cabinet you're referring to is a blind corner cabinet, so it goes back pretty wide, so its 56 inches. Thanks for your thoughts, I hope this helps
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 8:04PM
Fred S
Yes it helps. Can you tell me how much of the blind cabinet actually sticks out. And how wide the refrigerator is, it seems to be 24" deep by 30" wide. Then I can see if my two hopeful options might work.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 8:43PM
cnranford
The blind cabinet, sticks out 31.5" and the fridge is 26 deep x 35 which seems odd? I know it's counter depth.
0 Likes   June 24, 2013 at 9:30AM
Fred S
This is just the simple version for now. But hopefully you see how it opened up the area. It would take more research to see what all is re-useable for now. It almost looks like the stairs was on the other side of the upper stairs at one time. The odd wall or foundation to the left of the basement closet makes me think there was already room allowed for it there. It would stick into the family room 24"-30" with a short rail.
1 Like   Thanked by cnranford    June 24, 2013 at 1:32PM
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
Hi cnranford...........I don't know the dimensions or exact layout of your room. They would be helpful. I agree that the peninsula is making your rooms look and feel smaller, but it would be expensive to completely redo the layout. I might, however, take down the upper cabinet above the peninsula. That way, the sight line between the two rooms would be open and it would feel bigger. You could also replace the upper cabinet doors in the kitchen with glass door fronts. You can use obscure glass if you are worried about thing looking messy. In the dining room, I would talk to an HVAC guy, and see if that radiator can be moved. If you also eliminated the corner built-in, you could do new built-ins on either side of the window with a bench in between creating a banquette of sorts. The attached picture is , of course, grander than what you would have, but it gives you an idea.I have also installed a banquette seat over the radiator with slats to allow for the heat. Ask the HVAC people what can be done. BTW, your house may be small, but it looks adorable.
1 Like   Thanked by cnranford    June 24, 2013 at 2:41PM
cnranford
Thank you Fred, I appreciate you providing me with an idea now I have a few options. And thank you Madden, Slick & Bontempo our house means a lot to us. To some people it may seem like a starter home but we would like it to live in our home for a lot longer. I love the example you attached but my space is a lot smaller. I'm not sure if I'm measuring correctly but for a rough guideline the dinning room/kitchen is 10.5 feet wide and 17 feet long. Should I start with finding an architect next or whats my next step? From what Im understanding from everyones advice in order to keep expenses low I should keep the same general layout and appliance in the same areas.
0 Likes   June 24, 2013 at 5:50PM
Madden, Slick & Bontempo, Inc
cnranford..... I don't think you need an architect. You're not doing anything structural. Find a good design/build contractor. A banquette and table actually takes up less space than a table with chairs so don't count it out. Good luck with your project!
0 Likes   Thanked by cnranford    June 24, 2013 at 6:14PM
Fred S
Talk to a contractor about moving the stairs, and talk to a kitchen designer where you would buy the cabinets from for the rest.
0 Likes   Thanked by cnranford    June 24, 2013 at 6:16PM
Need help for my Kitchen/Dinning room
Hi, I need some interior ideas for my recently built...
davinder22
Please help with 50's kitchen/dining room layout
We are remodeling cape cod 11' x 11' kitchen with adjacent...
lmacko
Love Hawaii? We Need HELP!!! Colors for Plantation kitchen/dining room
We have a 1950's Plantation house in Hawaii and are...
greeneyemoon
we need help refreshing our kitchen without changing the layout?
Any ideas for updating the look of our kitchen without...
sarahfilleul
Blinds
We have 3 separate windows that look like 1 large picture...
jhubley1
Converting 3/4 bath to laundry/powder room. Vanity top suggestions?
Mudroom off our garage was linked to kitchen on one...
deborahjarman
rredpenn
Need help with where to mount lighted make up mirror
We are remodeling our master bathroom and don't know...
jimnancy1
55 days and counting till baby arrives. Need nursery help ASAP!
My baby is on his way in less than two months, and...
Kim Meehardt