Need help on deciding on new plants in landscaping
ferrellgraphx
My husband and I bought this home last year. We have green grass now. Yay! However I hate the big purple bushes in front of the house. They are dark and dreary.The Japanese Maple is lost because of those bushes. I need to do something to reflect the craftsman feel of the home, while making the maple stand out. It's hard to see in the picture because it's dormant, but it is in the far left side. I have more photos of our home improvement pictures on my blog, http://ferrellgraph-x.blogspot.com/
Meghan
Just trim your bushes annually and you can avoid the overgrowth :)
June 23, 2013 at 12:20pm   
Red Berm
Could you let us know what zone you are in. Since this discussion is throughout the US it would be helpful to know so we can suggest the appropriate plants,
June 23, 2013 at 5:14pm     
jgferrell
I'm in Tennessee, zone 7. Here's a couple more pictures of the flower bed I want to redo. I can not stand the purple bush. And will rip it out this fall.
June 23, 2013 at 5:23pm     
Red Berm
Hemerocallis, Miscanthus sinensis, Rosmarinus officinalis 'Arp' all grow in your area. I would try a mixture of grasses (for motion in the wind) and low growing colorful shrubs.
June 23, 2013 at 6:02pm     
handymam
If you hate the big purple bushes, take them out.
June 23, 2013 at 6:13pm   
Sweet Caroline Garden Design
Lovely home. I would begn by taking out the overgrown purple shrubs and moving the boxwoods from the front of the border to the back on the left as a foundation hedge. Repeat on the right side and add colorful flowers in front of the shrubs -ornamental grasses, perennials and annuals. A nice flagstone walkway from the entrance to the curb would look inviting. If budget allows I would construct a stone fence around the front near the curb. If you want more shrubs and flowers and less lawn you could plant something like below.
I think your home would look more craftsman like if you were to paint the garage doors and gables a deeper earth color such as sage. Since the driveway is so prominent I would tone it down by scoring the concrete into sections and staining them . An example is below. http://pinterest.com/pin/314829830170979598/
June 24, 2013 at 8:02pm     
handymam
Thanks for the pinterest link Caroline! Going to stain my plain concrete stepping stones sometime! Hadn't thought of that! :)
June 25, 2013 at 5:25am   
Janis Aamodt
Location is key to type of plants trees evergreens and box woods are hearty and always green grasses are a soft edge to the trees hydrangeas hastas day lilies for edgings as far as flowering trees cherry white or pink .Chinese rose in yellow .lavender not close to house bees like them.a nice magnolia tree in the front or dog woods, white birch in 3s ,and weeping trees in 3s a few large rocks,a decorative fence with gate and arbor climatic e and or grapes or weeping Wisteria, endless mound up the land on corner or a kidney shape in middle with trees and flowers spaced with your rocks ,.
June 25, 2013 at 11:03am     
NEED HELP DECIDING ON SIDEWALK/LANDSCAPING
I really want to do a pebble path but not sure how...
Need help deciding a landscape design
We have a small backyard and our designer suggested...
Need help deciding on foundation plantings..
We've decided to rip out all the plantings in the front...
Need landscaping help with plant selection & layout for front yard
We would love landscaping advice for the front yard...
Fireplace Frustration
Hi! Looking for suggestions on what to do with this...
Looking for a medium color hardwood floor with little color variation
I don't want something too dark that shows every bit...
Porch patio door
Are vertical blinds dated for a porch patio door
shower remodel
We are replacing a 36" x 36" fiberglass shower in our...
Do you have a closed-in shower?
Do you like your closed in shower or is it claustrophobic?...