what size chandelier for a 24 foot ceiling in a living room?
mastewart50
we have a two story livingroom. There is a tiny paddle fan/light hanging there. what size chandelier would look better?
Besides the height of your ceiling, the length and width of your room is important, too. Measure the two abutting walls and add the two. For instance, if your room is 14 x 18, your chandy should be 32" anyway.

June 23, 2013 at 7:23AM      Thanked by mastewart50
I'd add some more inches to judyg's formula for the two story ceiling. How big is your room?
June 23, 2013 at 7:32AM        Thanked by mastewart50
Glad you commented on this Carolyn. When you are dealing with a two story ceiling, how much bigger could you go? The picture that I posted looks okay, but it definitely could be larger.
June 23, 2013 at 10:00AM      Thanked by mastewart50
I wish I had a formula, judyg. Maybe we can just make up a formula, adding 25% to the 32" would mean 32+8 which equals 40. So somewhere between 32 and 40 would be a good range for the diameter with a 2 story ceiling. What do you think?
June 23, 2013 at 11:03AM        Thanked by mastewart50
I think that formula works! The 32" is safe, but adding a little more will make safe a "wow".

Here is a beauty at 43" and I think this could work, too, because it is so simple.

Thoughts on this?

June 23, 2013 at 11:55AM        Thanked by mastewart50
It's a charmer!
June 23, 2013 at 12:08PM      Thanked by mastewart50
Fred S
I would also add the cosine of the angle of the diagonal of the room. Then divide by the inverse of the width of the main entrance into the room.
June 23, 2013 at 12:11PM        Thanked by mastewart50
Fred S
You really need to take into account how high you want to hang it first. Is there a balcony, or an upper window you want to see it through?
June 23, 2013 at 12:15PM      Thanked by mastewart50
Whispar Design
Fred I believe there must be an app for that :)
I am also interested to know, and hopefully relevant to mastewart's question, from the designers how important vertical substance of the fixture is when choosing a fixture for a tall ceiling in an open concept, especially taking into account what Fred mentioned about balcony/window views. By vertical substance I mean something like this photo as opposed to a more minimalist fixture that may get lost in the open space?
June 23, 2013 at 2:44PM   
All those factors mentioned must be taken into account. There's no formula for all that must be considered. Yes, we have to consider the height and width of the room and the chandelier, and the visual weight of the chandelier, to which you have referred, plus window size and height, and probably 18 other items. But, hey, that's why we make the big bucks! :) It's an art, not a science, though general guidelines are helpful when we try to explain something online.
June 23, 2013 at 7:02PM     
Fred S
I find that if you can get them to consider where it is going to be a focal point from, ie. a window, and how high they want to hang it, that narrows it down for them better than any formula.
June 23, 2013 at 7:11PM     
Brand new bathroom
Hello, I am renewing my bathroom and there is nothing...
Exterior paint suggestions
My 1959 bungalow needs perking up , Light rust terracotta...
need help with floor stain color
thinking of doing the walls a light gray tone and trim...
Houzzers help!
I've got to finalize my backsplash today. What do you...