condo sound transferance problems
Trish Kirkman
I live in a condo and am sound sensitive. I'm having issues with noise transference. Namely droning of fans and bass of music, that is not particularly loud. I don't have a lot of money what can I do?
HERE Design and Architecture
At a technical level, bass is very difficult to deal with when you are on the receiving end of it because it is basically the structure of the building that is reverberating. Short of providing some kind of physical acoustic separation ($$) or trying to drown it out with your own noise, you might consider asking whoever is making the noise to put their speakers on something soft (like neoprene) so that they don't touch the floor or wall or any rigid object that is connected to the floor or wall.
June 23, 2013 at 12:45PM   
HERE Design and Architecture
I should add that I hear you re: the sound sensitivity. Misophonia can be a real drag. :)
June 23, 2013 at 12:48PM   
Trish Kirkman
thank you for the response. I've talked with the people involved and asked for their assistance, it just made matters worse. I asked council for their help and of course they show up the one day there isn't an issue. Like taking the car into the shop or going to the dentist. I just need to find a solution that is cheap and will work to reduce the vibrations. I need sleep that I'm not getting. I'm using white noise at night and now that is getting irritating too. The only time I get peace is when the people above go away, which isn't often, but heaven when they do. they are nice people and I don't want to be an issue for them or my other neighbours either.
June 23, 2013 at 12:54PM   
HERE Design and Architecture
If the issue is primarily at night, you might experiment with relocating your bed and/or with using some kind of isolator under the feet of the bed. Try this website: http://www.acousticalsolutions.com/isolation-products. I have not used their stuff but some of it looks promising.
June 23, 2013 at 1:03PM   
Trish Kirkman
thanks, I checked their site, bit too expensive for me, but I really appreciate your help. Keep suggesting I'm open
June 23, 2013 at 1:25PM   
What type of door to use to minimize sound transfer from rental suite
We have a ground floor suite and there is an interior...
Condo sound reduction. Need to get creative!!
Hi all, I majorly need some creative ideas and any...
Bad Acoustics/sound problems!
We live in a bi level. The living area & dining area...
Tired of people entering our house via the kitchen door
We live in a house built in 1873. The house sits on...
Design help please! 8x8 bathroom
Hi there. We are a family of 6 with one bathroom....
Ready to choose pendant lights, backsplash, cabinet knobs or handles.
The flooring, cabinets and granite counters are installed. I...
Help me with my living room
I collect mirrors and have a wall of them. I will post...
Caesarstone Raven vs Piatra Gray
We are remodeling our kitchen and my husband and I...