I hate these cabinets- help!
jenjencopps
Just bought my first post-divorce home and the seller just put these laminate cabinets in a few months before. I don't have the financial flexibility to remodel.
njmomma
Take down the cabinet doors and replace them with updated doors.

My neighbor had this kitchen and tried to paint the wood at the bottom of the doors white to update them.. It was awful.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 2:11PM
jenjencopps
Shoot. That's an idea I had too - paint the wood black.
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 2:19PM
morganskinner
In my old house I got in recycled kitchen doors because we kept the shell of the cabinets and we sanded down the doors and painted them a duck egg blue and put new handles onto them. And it looked better then half of the show kitchens you get these days. The best option is to buy old recycled doors for them and sand them and paint them again a colour that you want. That's if you have a low budget or you don't wish to buy brand new.
1 Like   June 23, 2013 at 2:20PM
Laura
Her is what one blogger did with hers. They look wonderful! http://simplychictreasures.blogspot.com/2013/01/1980s-melamine-cupboard-update.html
5 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 11:36PM
Kivi
Great link Laura..
2 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 3:44AM
jenjencopps
Laura this is perfect!!
I went to my local habitat for humanity restore and saw they have loose doors but I love this more! Thank you!
0 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 3:56AM
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
I think painting the wood black and even changing the counter to black, gray or a white quartz that looks like marble - when you have the funds - could look really good. The trick to painting the wood is to do proper prep first and then take your time and use thin coats until you get the look you want. Your local paint store should be able to direct you. I have used both Cabinet Coat and Aura by Benjamin Moore with great success. Both have a different look but the cabinets look brand new.

Good luck in your new home.
2 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 4:06AM
Jackson Construction LLC
If you have limited finances you can always do it yourself. All you need is some basic items such as sandpaper, paint etc. They are all available in local hardware stores and don't cost much. This is the cheapest alternative to remodeling services.

The refinishing process is pretty straightforward - strip the paint, repaint the surface and the cabinets will be as good as new. There are many manuals and picture guides in the internet regarding how to perform such repairs. Try googl-ing (or bing or yahoo) something like "Kitchen Cabinet Painting" and you'll see how many guides there are.

p.s. Some of the guides may seem difficult but if you try them you'll see how easy they actually are. My advice is before trying to paint the cabinets, exercise on some similar surface to practice your painting skills. If you experience some difficulties, I believe that the Houzz community will be more than happy to assist you!
1 Like   June 27, 2013 at 4:09AM
jenjencopps
What a treat it is to wake up to all these helpful tips and advice! Thank you so very much!
0 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 4:12AM
Why not just remove all the doors, paint the insides and give it the look of open shelving?
2 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 5:06AM
kris2008
OK. Call a cabinet maker. The cupboards don't look too bad. Have a lift and slide door put over the microwave and the "wooden" laminate ends covered or re panelled with the same material as your cupboards. Maybe an over lay of stone look for the bench tops. Good luck, this will be an inexpensive way to go and I believe will look great. Cheers. Kris
0 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 5:09AM
Sorry, I hit the submit button too soon. This is what I'm talking about by removing the doors:
1 Like   June 27, 2013 at 5:15AM
Jennyjen, is that an appliance garage in the corner? If so and you don't need it to hide a lot of stuff consider removing it - it will give you more counter space to the left of the stove and make the counter seem larger. Also, if you are planning on replacing the stove consider a slide in. That will also make things more seamless.
0 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 5:54AM
I hate my kitchen Cabinets--HELP
We are working on our kitchen bit by bit. So far we...
Help! Hate these cabinets but can't afford to replace at this point
Any thoughts on how to make this kitchen more palatable...
Help! I hate my bathroom...need your help.
The bathroom makes poor use of space. I need a new...
I need help with my mantle and tv area. I hate it!
I would like a more higher end feel to my mantle and...
Help with my dinning space
How to decorate my dinning space
I have a new black sofa what wallcolor do I buy
my wall are medium beige and my table brown wood carpet...
outdated tudor room needs help
This room has good bones but both the ceiling and the...
Ask
Small space between the ceiling and the cabinet