Choosing new appliances
karenbellaire3
Two questions1) two ovens and a separate microwave or microwave/convection oven above primary oven?(looking at Thermidor) 2) French door on refrigerator? (Like the look but wonder if it is annoying to need both hands to open. Am assuming you generally open both doors?). Thank you for your thoughts.
Fred S
What are you doing for a cook top? Are you having a separate freezer?
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 8:29PM
karenbellaire3
36 inch gas cook top and freezer on bottom of refrigerator
0 Likes   June 23, 2013 at 8:38PM
Fred S
Ok, I have only played with that type of refrigerator a few times, but it didn't seem awkward or hard to get used to. Funny I can't remember having to open both doors, must not have been a big thing. The separate microwave is more about how much space you have, but I will say that everyone I know that has a micro / convection would never part with it. Unless you do a lot of big dinners, I would do the convection.
1 Like   June 23, 2013 at 8:53PM
ruth1841
I have a French door fridge and a double door fridge/freezer (two homes) and I much prefer the French door. We use lots of fresh foods and it works better for us.
1 Like   June 23, 2013 at 10:07PM
karenbellaire3
Thank you so much. I became concerned on both points when 1) was told that if the microwave has to be replaced, you might have to replace the entire double unit and that most people are putting in a double oven for resale potential and 2) that it is difficult if you re holding something to open the French doors. I am feeling reassured (I think:-)). Thank you.
0 Likes   June 24, 2013 at 5:16AM
We LOVE our french door refrigerator much more than any previous design we've owned. It is extremely convenient and well laid out. I don't always open both doors. If I'm just grabbing milk or something else that I know is in its usual place, I open just the door on that side.
2 Likes   June 24, 2013 at 5:27AM
I've never had a French door refrigerator but I just bought a new side-by-side and I love it. I had the freezer on the bottom before and it was a pain in my back!
1 Like   June 24, 2013 at 5:31AM
karenbellaire3
Heading back to the store today. Very much appreciate the input.
1 Like   June 24, 2013 at 5:40AM
Good luck to you!
0 Likes   June 24, 2013 at 5:51AM
jaeverhart94
Feeny--what kind of French door refrigerator do you have?
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 5:27AM
We have a GE Monogram cabinet-depth, stainless steel with two bottom freezer drawers. Love it, but it's a bit pricey because it is a cabinet-depth model.
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 5:32AM
jaeverhart94
Thanks, Feeny! I've been considering that one.
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 5:42AM
The only problem we've had with it in four years is that sometimes the ice-maker gets jammed and the mechanism needs a little jiggling to get it started again. Otherwise I think its design and sturdiness are excellent.
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 5:46AM
kathyjpm
We are remodeling kitchen and totally appreciate the challenge in choosing brands. I've spent hours on research and shopping. Ratings for all had to be good.

Needed cabinet depth refrigerator and settled on LG french door/bottom freezer b/c we have one (another brand, not cab. depth) at shore house and like not having to bend way down to find things on bottom in back, and bottom freezer is large and convenient. The one we chose has ice/water on door. LG makes the best use of space, does not use up left inside door space on icemaker.

We chose the LG freestanding, smoothtop range w/convection oven b/c I wanted appliances to match ( all stainless is not similar). I've really STRUGGLED with choosing whether to pay more for baking drawer, infared grill, slide-in model. On a cost-benefit basis, not convinced that those extras are worth 2 or 3 times the prices (we don't entertain much). I am going with single-oven range with micro above b/c I would only use two ovens maybe once a year. If you entertain a lot or are a major cook, you might want two ovens.

My current struggle is whether the over-the-range microwave should be the convection or not. I read nothing but positive comments about having one. Again looking at LG, but it only has removable round wire rack that sits on turntable vs a metal shelf. Seems like that could be a problem if you want to use rectangular dish that wont fit if it turns. I would so appreciate any feedback on this. thank you Fred S!
0 Likes   July 12, 2013 at 5:58AM
Have new white appliances, want to get new wood cabinets.
What would look best with white? Everything is stainless...
Will my new appliances function better in a new layout?
We've been in our home for a little over two years....
trying to decide on new kitchen appliances for new home
Want to see what double wall ovens, stovetop, and fridge...
How did you choose SS appliances??
I'm having a huge headache choosing K appliances. ...
Design dilemma
What type of curtain can I use print see below would...
Please help! How can I add to this room to make it seem more feminine
I started out with these chairs that are black framing...
I can't seem to commit to a dining room set please help
I feel like mama and the bears... this one is too soft,...
Need help with paint colors
We want to change the colors in our house but can't...
Need help with cleaning porcelain floor
I have just had a textured porcelain floor put down...