Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helena3

How do I design my closet ?

Helen Nannas
10 years ago
We had two separate his and hers closet and decided to open it up and make it one. I want to put rods from top to bottom and put shelves for shoes. Here's a picture The dimensions are 42 x 73 x 98" high. What can I do?

Comments (14)

• suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    It is easier to explain it with a picture, so refer to my drawing below for the suggestions I am making:
    The back wall in my drawing is the top wall in your picture. This wall is 42 in. wide and that's where I would hang your long garments. I would put 2 shelves on top of the rod for storage. The recommend height for long garment is 66 in. (from floor to the middle of the diameter of the rod). You can have the shelves at any height you want.

The facing wall in my drawing is the left wall in your picture. I would have a set of 2 rods at 2 different heights for short garments. Between the 2 rods I would have 3 shelves. That's where I would keep my shoes.

A standard space allocated to hang clothes is 20 in. wide. That's why I made the rods and shelves 53 in. long so you have the 20 in. left at the back for your long garments hung in that corner.

If you need space for high shoes or boots, you may place your rod for long garment a bit higher so you can keep these extra foot ware under the long garments.

I chose to put your shoes at middle height because the space is a bit narrow and it may be hard for you to bend to reach the shoes below the garments.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Oops, I just realized that a part of the text was hiding behind the rod. Here's the plan with all the text showing:
  • PRO
    Dytecture
    10 years ago
    Closet spaces could be a personal design dilemma. Do you have any special preferences as far as cloth storage ?
  • Helen Nannas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I love your idea Suzanne! Because of the narrow space I think that will be perfect. I will do that. Also was wondering whether to put a door or just leave it open. Do you have suggestions. Thanks so much for the plan. I will post pics once its done.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Thank you Helen. I think, if you don't mind the look of an inside closet, I would not put a door, it will feel more spacious if you don't have one. If you don't like the look of hung clothes then I would add a door but would make it open outward.

As for the drawing, the theory is nice but I thought of it afterward late last night and you may want to test with your husband if he is tall enough to reach a rod placed 2 in. below the ceiling. Also, I reserved a space of 39 in. high for short garments, you may want to double check if this space is big enough for yours.

I hope everything will work fine. I will be happy to see pictures when it is done.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Helen, How wide is the open space for the door?
  • Helen Nannas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    The opening is 34" wide. For other garment that you mention is that an extra one and where would you put it? For the highness of the rods, I was thinking of putting the ones that you pull down. Do you know where I can find them?
  • Helen Nannas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I agree it will look bigger without a door.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Helen, I re-read what my previous comment and I don't see where I said for 'other garment'. Can you point it to me? I think it was a mistake.

I did not know that you can have rod that you pull down. If you find one can you post it for me, I am curious.

If you need extra storage for shoes, you could install an open cabinet on the left wall when you enter the closet. The maximum dimensions for the open cabinet would be 22 in. W x 6 in. D x 98 in. H. You could display your shoes on those shelves side ways just like you see in the stores. This would reduce the width of your entrance from 34 to 28 in. but I think it should not be a problem.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Helen, I googled: pull down rod closet images. See the link below. When you move your cursor on the image, it gives you the name of sites where you can get them:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=pull+down+rod+closet+image&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=uzLJUcW1EYj1qAH224GIAw&ved=0CC4QsAQ&biw=1422&bih=998

One of the image shows a pull down rod from Lee Valley:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware/page.aspx?p=69191&cat=3,40914,41358&ap=1
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    Helen, now that I see what a pull down rod looks like, I don't think it will work, your 42 in. deep closet is not deep enough for that.
    However, when I drew the plan above, it was 2 a.m. and I could not get into my bedroom to take the measurements in my closet because my husband was sleeping ... him :) . I have double rods in my closet so today I took the measurements and I can change the plan above with realistic measurements. I have other options for you instead of a pull down rod. I have to leave the house now and I will be back very late tonight. I will give you a new plan with new ideas tomorrow morning.
  • Helen Nannas
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    You've been so helpful Suzanne. You have some great ideas. I can't thank you enough. I laughed about the part to go measure but husband was sleeping... About the rod being too high I don't think it will be a problem because I will put only seasonal clothes on the bottom rod. Meaning I will switch from top to bottom summer to winter.
  • suzanne_m
    10 years ago
    I will be happy to see the pictures once the closet is built.
Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH