New house - paint color
tkln
Hi everyone...my first Houzz post so please be kind. :)

We are in contract to buy a house, closing is in just over a week. The house has a central open living area - kitchen/living/dining in one big room with cathedral ceilings. The ceiling and trim are wood; there are skylights and tons of windows so lots of light (the kitchen/dining side face east, living room faces west). The walls are currently white but we would like to add some color. The ceiling and trim is throwing us off - we've only ever had white ceilings and trim before so not sure where to go with this.

We were thinking of a taupe or grey...we don't want to go too dark but definitely want some color. We don't have any furniture yet, asides from our sectional sofa which is a light brown. Looking at dining tables with dark reclaimed wood tops, but asides from that we are open. Any ideas?
(sorry, these aren't the best photos, I have more on my camera I need to pull off).

Thank you!
Lucy
Anne
Beautiful space, congrats! Wall color could be most anything you like....sage, pale yellow, creams, light greys, an accent wall in deeper reds, this looks like fun!
June 24, 2013 at 12:04pm        Thanked by tkln
tkln
Thank you! The master bedroom is painted a creamy yellow and though it has white ceilings, I wasn't in love with the combo with the wood trim - almost seemed too washed out? That's why I was thinking something a bit deeper for contrast?
June 24, 2013 at 12:16pm   
diver49
I also agree, it's a beautiful space. I think the ceiling and the wood trims bothers you because of the current wall colours; not nice at all if you ask me.
So since you have lots of light, I would paint a couple of walls very dark colour like grey and then let it like that for a few days and you will know then what lighter colour you would like to have in your room.
Not that many homes have enough light in so they can go with dark colours; but you can.
Have fun with it, it's only paint...
June 24, 2013 at 3:46pm      Thanked by tkln
grannythedecorator
It would be a big job but I'd honestly white wash the ceilings in a white or off white....if you can log onto HGTV and then find Sarah Richardson's work you should be able to see how she transforms the knotty pine etc. into something so fresh and more up-to-date....I love the way she decorates....I also realize that often the look of "wood" is more a guy thing than a girl thing....we live in a 168 yr. old home that we spent 2 yrs. restoring...stripped all the wood throughout (doors/windows/baseboards etc.) to have the wood colour....well, would you believe it, we now have it all painted white and love it so much more....I guess it just depends the looks that you like....I have some family struggling with that very issue right now because how major the job would be but I believe well worth it in the end....hopefully you are able to access Sarah Richardson's work....I love what she does....have fun and let us see the final pictures too!
June 24, 2013 at 4:00pm      Thanked by tkln
LM Designers
The ceilings will be very difficult to paint considering how high they are. A wall color that complimented the wood instead of the severe white would tone it down. I try to live in the space for a year before making big changes and painting the ceilings will be a big change. You might like them when the walls are painted a different color.
June 24, 2013 at 4:16pm        Thanked by tkln
Carol Spong Interior Design
A midvalue sage or even emerald green would be great; or in the other direction...brick red. I can barely make out the countertop color and would include that in the decision making as well.
June 24, 2013 at 4:21pm      Thanked by tkln
tkln
Thank you everyone for the thoughts! I think I'd like to do as LM Designers said and wait awhile before considering painting the ceiling...I do like the wood ceiling, I just wish it was a darker tone. But that might be something we could consider doing as well.

Here is a closer-up photo of the kitchen that shows the counters better...they kind of have a mish-mash of colors in the stone - a little blue, gray, green...I spent some time on Benjamin Moore's web site and I was drawn towards BM Stone and BM Escarpment, but of course hard to tell from the screen. :)

For a red, would you do the whole room in red?
June 24, 2013 at 4:48pm     
Lkristine
All things considered, I think BM Mistletoe would look very nice in your kitchen.
June 24, 2013 at 5:05pm      Thanked by tkln
LM Designers
Your cabinets and granite are beautiful and look like good quality. You have my favorite knobs of all time as well. Hard to get customers to use the wood knobs but I love it. You have full overlay doors and drawers in the most popular door style currently.
June 24, 2013 at 7:22pm      Thanked by tkln
lhutch13
You have a lot of wood. I wouldn't go too dark, you may feel like you are in a dungeon.
June 24, 2013 at 8:28pm      Thanked by tkln
I think you should consider Olive Drab
June 24, 2013 at 8:42pm      Thanked by tkln
ReMax - Lisa
I like the wood ceiling, but I would consider painting the trim out in white. Then it won't feel like so much wood, because everything is currently framed in wood. I think a soft sage green is lovely with that tone of wood, but you have an open slate to work with. I actually wouldn't paint the kitchen until you have chosen your larger pieces of furniture and then make some decisions. You can live with the white for a while until the big stuffs bought.
June 24, 2013 at 8:51pm      Thanked by tkln
joycealaina
love your wooden roof. I would add fun color, your choice would work. to open the space over the wood, add white beams, or whitewashed decorative folksy painted patterned beams
June 24, 2013 at 9:06pm      Thanked by tkln
Mosaik Design & Remodeling
I would do a light "greige" a combination of grey and beige. It looks like you have that color in your rug and that it would work with your countertops as well. I have paired it with warm wood like yours before and it works beautifully. This somewhat cooler tone will add balance and elegance to your space.
June 24, 2013 at 9:10pm        Thanked by tkln
joycealaina
red was my first thought. put up something red on the walls, like a piece of cothing, or something painted already and live with it for awhile. as a retired professional I have found folks put too much pressure on themselves to try and image such a spance without using around the house, or anywhere for props. changing the patterns, red on white, white on red fabrics, etc. could be really fun. just play with it, you'll have fun.
June 24, 2013 at 9:10pm      Thanked by tkln
I agree with you that painting is a terrific idea.

Margo has got it - the wonderful thing about greens - especially the khaki / drabs is that they really are neutrals so you can later select your color scheme - they don't dictate where you go like the other color options. A straight gray is going to feel like high contrast, whereas the right green will feel like the earth - gray, and brown and green and great with the wood because it has some yellow in it.
Here's a few of this kind of shade for you to test - paint some foamcore and move it around the room to see it in morning and night lighting against the stone, against the wood, and so forth. I think this one will give you enough color but still keep things light - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7638-jogging-path/
another to test - a deeper one that would be wonderful in your space / a bit more green - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7748-green-earth/
or the compliment to the first / jogging path but deeper is rushing river - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7746-rushing-river/ it would give you more drama, but it isn't too dark in a room like this that has skylights and lots of windows. All of these can give you a very striking modern look, but you can still take your color scheme in any direction as this will be a neutral backdrop.

I think the wood will grow on you - I'm often a fan of painting or antiqueing wood, but not here - the quality shines through. The other really terrific thing about this shade of wood floor is - it hides all the dirt / is literally dirt colored.
June 24, 2013 at 9:13pm        Thanked by tkln
avemaria
My dear Lucy, that granite is STUNNING. I agree with others' posts, that it may be good to wait a while and live in the space before painting walls or staining/whitewashing the ceiling. If this were my kitchen, I'd eventually paint the walls a color that picks up on that granite and doesn't fight with it. Good luck with your impending closing, and have fun with your new home. Oh, and don't let those "unkind" posters intimidate you. Their comments are not worth reading. :)
June 24, 2013 at 9:18pm      Thanked by tkln
collettec
A gorgeous room. Congratulations on your purchase! I would leave the ceiling as is. It complements the beautiful cabinets. So many ways to go with color. Given your countertops, one would be a blue gray. One possibility would be Benjamin Moore's Georgetown Blue: http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/dc-31
June 24, 2013 at 9:49pm      Thanked by tkln
tkln
Wow, thank you so much for all the comments! What a nice surprise to wake up to. :)

When we first saw the house I loved the room and all the wood...then I got nervous because, yeah, it's a lot of wood and all in the same tone! I personally would love to not paint for awhile, live with it, see how the light works in there through summer/fall/winter, etc. My husband however refuses to wait and wants to paint before we move in. I figured it's not the end of the world, we can always change the paint color down the road if we aren't happy with it.

Painting just the trim is in an interesting idea; I guess we can see how things work and keep that as an option.

Love the paint suggestions so far, and also the idea of painting a piece of foam core and using that for a guide! Will definitely try that.

Since the wood has yellow in it, would you go with a warmer neutral or a cooler neutral? Or would either work?
June 25, 2013 at 4:54am   
ReMax - Lisa
Personally I would stay with a warm tone. Have a look at BM clay beige. It's. great neutral that works well with beige and greys.
June 25, 2013 at 6:32am      Thanked by tkln
Suzy Ivancic
I would repaint the ceiling and kitchen in a white and then different shades of greys on the walls
June 25, 2013 at 7:08am      Thanked by tkln
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
With the warm, blonde stain that you already have, I would suggest more of a light citrus or moss green color for contrast. Grey is a safe neutral but will "deaden" the room, so to speak. Light browns will offer a rustic look, but if you're wanting rustic, a rusty red is a great choice if you're feeling bold. Though, a citrus or green will be brighter and more cheerful and will enhance your beautiful natural lighting, tall ceilings, and blonde cabinetry. Also, leaving the ceiling white or an off-white makes the room feel even bigger!
June 25, 2013 at 7:16am      Thanked by tkln
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
Here's a light (matte) moss-like green color applied to your walls:
June 25, 2013 at 7:18am      Thanked by tkln
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
And here's a citrus:
June 25, 2013 at 7:23am        Thanked by tkln
tkln
Thanks so much for the photos! (and LKristine as well!) I didn't think I'd like the yellowish color but that's not bad!

This photo is one I had added to my ideabook...what do we all think about this? I'm going through all my photos now lol.

June 25, 2013 at 7:38am   
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
Let me color match and I'll post a picture with that color in your kitchen. I'll be just a few minutes.
June 25, 2013 at 7:40am      Thanked by tkln
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
It looks okay, though it seems to fall somewhat flat. To liven it up, you'd need to add some color via accessories and pictures.
June 25, 2013 at 7:50am      Thanked by tkln
felixgrantham
Please, don't go gray! It's more appropriate for high rise condos than for houses like yours & I found it hard to live with in the past. With the yellow tones of the wood, I like a sage (darker than the moss green) or pale rust.
June 25, 2013 at 7:52am        Thanked by tkln
Carol Spong Interior Design
All these colors look flat to me. I would choose something with more pigment in the paint. Definitely get SEVERAL samples of foam core and put them around in the different lights. i don't know what part of the country you live in, but that ,too, has a bearing re: the light during the day. The wood ceiling CAN eat light but it looks as if the finish is glossy and the ceiling height begins at 8'?
June 25, 2013 at 8:01am      Thanked by tkln
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
A sage green (or perhaps even a darker pigment, like Carol suggested):
June 25, 2013 at 8:06am   
tkln
Thanks so much for the mock up, and yes, I agree, it's kind of flat and blah. I would like to have something a bit more saturated if we can do it.

Carol Spong - we are in North Central Vermont, so yes, winter will be darker but the snow makes it not feel so bad! :) The house is on ten acres and all open near the house, so it should get light all day. But of course, I've only been there limited times so it will be a learning process.

Hm, you know, I'm not sure what the ceiling height starts at...when you walk in the foyer is a standard ceiling (there is a closet, half bath, stairs and a pantry in that area) and then it opens up here.
June 25, 2013 at 8:07am   
tkln
Ohhhhh B.L. that's pretty nice! I do like it darker! Thank you!!!!
June 25, 2013 at 8:08am   
tkln
Ironically the foyer is a green but I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but I do like the way it looks in that mock up a lot.
June 25, 2013 at 8:10am   
stina4
Like the color in kitchen but feel you have too many chairs around your dining table take two away an you will have less cluttered look. Just my opinion. Love all things lighter !
June 25, 2013 at 8:14am      Thanked by tkln
joansahmed
Instead of grey or taupe, what about butter yellow. It is a great neutral and would go well with the wood. It make a home glow.
June 25, 2013 at 8:18am      Thanked by tkln
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
The foyer already has a nice mossy color, but the slight lack of pigment washes it out and doesn't compliment the blonde tones in the wood as well as it could (hats off to Carol). A darker, sage green would look wonderful and would balance the colors in the room.
June 25, 2013 at 8:25am      Thanked by tkln
tkln
Stina - that's the current owner's furniture, we don't move in for another week! :)

I do like the yellow that B.L. Rieke mocked up above...I will definitely take it into consideration! The rust color has me intrigued too...

How does anyone choose paint?! lol...so many choices!
June 25, 2013 at 8:26am   
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
Choosing the paint color is one of the trickiest parts of designing your home. It's very easy to go too dark or too light, or too opaque, etc. But don't get discouraged! The best way to see what YOU will like best is by making mock ups or painting a color swatch on the wall, preferably close to the wood so you can see if the paint compliments the stain and vice versa. Finding the right color is time-consuming, but once you find the perfect color, you'll enjoy it for years.
June 25, 2013 at 8:30am      Thanked by tkln
tkln
Yeah I agree, I don't like the foyer color nearly as much as the sage green you mocked up for me (thank you again!).

We will definitely test out a bunch of colors before diving in, that's for sure!
June 25, 2013 at 8:42am     
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
Because you're interested in what a rust color could look like, I did one last mock up for you. Hopefully this will eliminate (or inspire!) some options:
June 25, 2013 at 8:45am      Thanked by tkln
avemaria
B.L. Rieke's "citrus" is my fave of the mock-ups thus far. That yellow is so happy. We live in Northern Illinois, and have a few rooms in Pratt & Lambert's "Italian Straw", and they just glow even in the greyest winter days. Good luck with your decision making, new owner, and remember, paint can be pretty easily changed if you find your first pick is not the best.
June 25, 2013 at 8:47am      Thanked by tkln
tkln
Well first, thank you once again for the mock up! I'm not sure how I feel about it! I don't hate it, it's an interesting option. Might have to add it to the list. :)

And yes, I agree 100% - not too concerned since paint is so easy to change!
June 25, 2013 at 8:58am   
Need help finding the right outdoor rug
Hi I'd like to have ideas what is the best color for...
Bathroom help requested
I'm struggling with our master bath. It's huge and...
Paint color
I'm looking for a beautiful very pale blue color preferably...
HELP! 50 shades of gray paint dilemma!
We are refinishing our basement family room. I used...
Chandelier Height in a 2-story Foyer
Can you recommend a height for my chandelier that will...