Master Bedroom and Ensuite Bathroom Design Dilemma!
aly1331
The space I am going to convert is a second living room off between the den and formal dining room. The dimensions are 24L X 14W/16W. My design dilemma is trying to maximize the most out of both areas within the space I have. I would like the bedroom area to not feel too closed in and need to design the bathroom layout to see where I should focus to achieve the overall goal. I would like to have a four piece bath set with a water closet toilet area.

The pictures are of drawing of the full space and of the bathroom design I have now. There is a 3’ hallway to be created with the bathroom on the left and one closet on the right hand side. The hallway I will put more towards the dining room in the grey wainscoting space of the attached photo. I think this is the best position as on the other side of the post by the speaker feels too close in the den area.

My estimated measurements right now are:
Double sink custom depth depending on space but 6’W
Tub (Kohler Greek) 4’ x 3’
Shower 3’ x 6’
Water closet 3’ x 4’

*Anyone with layout ideas have any recommendations to the design I have?
**Is a 3’ walkway in the bathroom sufficient?
***Is there anything I'm forgetting in my design?

Thank you in advance! Hope you can help!
suzanne_m
I just want to confirm with you: Is the closet on the right side for the master bedroom use?
June 24, 2013 at 8:24PM   
aly1331
Yes the closet on the right side 7x2 will only be for the master bedroom. Thank you!
June 24, 2013 at 8:27PM   
suzanne_m
Aly, you seem to have 2 entrances:
1 from dining room to master bedroom (through sliding glass door)
1 from dining room to master bathroom (entry at the top of your floor plan)

Do you want to have access of your master bathroom through your dining room? Is it a bathroom that guests will use? If yes, do you want a door between master bedroom and bathroom?
June 24, 2013 at 8:47PM     
aly1331
Thank you Suzanne, let me clarify that the sliding glass door leads to an outdoor patio. The only entrance to the master will be through the proposed new hallway at the top of the floor plan and is currently planned to be created on the grey wainscoting wall photo and the old opening will be closed. No guests will need to use the master bathroom as there is another more convenient location in the house. Hope this helps give you a better idea of the layout.
June 24, 2013 at 8:53PM   
suzanne_m
Aly, I am still playing with your floor plan. So far, I did not come up with anything better than what you have drawn though I find it is tight. I drew your plan with allocation for 4 in. walls. Also, for the toilet area to be to code you need minimum 30 in. x 54 in. You had 36 x 48. I enlarged it to 34 x 56.

Also, in your plan, you have a tub that is 36 in. x 48 in. Are you flexible on the dimension of the tub? Could it be a standard one 30 in. x 60 in.?
June 26, 2013 at 7:08AM     
suzanne_m
Aly, I modified a little bit your plan above to give you more space to move around in front of the vanity. The cost to that is you have a bit less space in front of your closet close to the fireplace. I think it is a good trade off. I changed the dimensions of the tub, I don't know if that work for you.
June 26, 2013 at 8:54AM   
aly1331
Expanding the toilet area for code expectations and the 4 inch walls is good to know, thank you. So that has made the bathroom a bit larger expanding to the bedroom space which will have to be done.

Mentioning the tight layout what would you recommend changing? I keep measuring around my current home a 3' walkway in the bathroom seems functional but not spacious. I am leaning towards expanding it to 4'. What are your thoughts on that? That would leave roughly 4.5 feet between the foot of the bed and the wall from your scaled drawing.

The question about tub sizes. The only reason I was leaning towards a shorter tub was to keep the overall dimensions short. What are your ideas or pro/con on using a standard tub instead?

Thank you again, I appreciate your help so far. A different perspective and someone who has more experience is such a valuable resource and I'm thankful for websites like this.
June 26, 2013 at 9:15AM   
the CAD Studio
Aly1331

I’ll give you my take on it

I think you will regret having only a 36” Clearance in the bath. It should be min. 48” to not feel cramped.

A 48” tub is just about useless, unless you plan on doing your laundry in it. A standard 5’ tub is fairly inexpensive and I would strongly recommend going with that. As a Guest bath the shower could be decreased
a little to accommodate a bigger tub
The W.C should be at the least 36” wide as you have it. Less than that makes it so hard to install it and service it

I would consider taking some of the upper right closet for a Towel closet. 16-20” will normally suffice.

I would also separate the bath and bedroom with a door….. an exhaust fan can only do so much……

Hope this helps
Best wishes.
Olav
June 26, 2013 at 9:57AM     
suzanne_m
Aly, thank you for the confidence you have in me. However, I must tell you that I am not an expert. I love drawing floor plans and I have done somes that I posted on houzz. Some experst, gracefully corrected some mistakes I have done, that's how I learned that a toilet to be to code must have at least 15 in. on both side from the center of the toilet and that you must have 24 in. space in front of the toilet. Before you start any renovation, you will need to consult a professional to ensure that everything can be done to code. They also need to check if they can install the plumbing where you need it.

I agree with everything the CAD Studio said except that I believe the closet on the right is a closet for bedroom and not a towel closet, right? If it is a towel closet then yes you could reduce the depth of it but if it is a bedroom closet then leave it at 24 in. deep.

In my floor plan, 1 square = 6 in. so according to the plan, you have 6 ft 2 in. left between the foot of the bed and the wall. I find it should be ok. The only place that it is a bit tight is between your closet and fireplace. I don't know if it is a flat fireplace or if it sticks out by a lot or little. You have 22 in. space which is not bad. You will have to decide the type of doors that suits best for that situation ... maybe sliding closet doors.

I changed the plan to allocate for a door for the master bathroom. I would recommend 2 double glass pocket doors so it still feel airy.

I enlarged the private toilet area from 34 in wide to 36 in. It will be more comfortable.

I am more of a shower person than a bath person so what would make happy is a simple soaking tub. You can find some that are 2 in. wider than the standard and they are deeper than standard which is good. As for the length, I would recommend that you go in the stores and try them, you don't want them too long because you will slide. I think 60 in. is a good length but it is better if you try them first. In my floor plan, you have flexibility on that. You also have flexibility on the width, however, I would not go beyond 36 in. wide because for each in. you enlarge the tub, you have to reduce the length of the shower and you use space on the floor. If it were me, I would probably go with a 32 x 60 soaking tub.

I drew a wall between the tub and the shower but I don't really see it as a wall, it would be more like a tub surround where the shower glass would rest on it. I showed you one example below just to give you an idea. There are tons of different ways to install a shower beside a tub. You would need to browse bathrooms on houzz to see what you like:

Just in case you wonder, in my floor plan below there are 2 different thicknesses for walls. An interior wall is 4 in. thick while an exterior wall is 6 in.
June 26, 2013 at 12:41PM   
suzanne_m
Aly, I want to bring a change to the bathroom layout above:

I put 2 pocket doors (22 in. wide each) because a wide opening to the bathroom, it is more spacious. However, doors standard come in sizes : 24, 28, 30, 32 and 36. You can have a 22 in. door but it would be special order. I believe you may be able to insert 2 doors 24 in. wide but you would need to ask a professional to see if it is too tight since the width of the vanity is 24 in. and the door has to fit into that wall. Also, having a pocket door sliding in that wall means that you can't have a light switch at that location. Below, I moved a bit the door for the toilet so you could put your light switch there if you choose to a 2 pocket doors for the bathroom. The other option would be to have one pocket door 36 in. wide.
June 28, 2013 at 9:54PM   
OnePlan
nice work Suzanne M !! I've noticed you come up with some awesome ideas on the threads ! you should consider working in this field !!! you'd be really good !!! You are very spatially aware and have a good eye !!! :-)
kindest regards
Karen at
OnePlan
June 29, 2013 at 12:58AM   
suzanne_m
Thank you Karen. This is very nice of you to say that. I am very flattered specially coming from a professional! I must say, I love making floor plans! It is a bit late for me to start a career in that field but I enjoy very much doing it as a hobby. I am always very happy when I find a floor plan dilemma on houzz. I wish I could find more.
June 29, 2013 at 1:25AM     
the CAD Studio
@ suzanne_m.
I think you misunderstood the towel closet idea. The idea is to take only 16-20" of the upper part of the closet for a Towel closet. The depth of the closet would remain the same, and the lower part of it would serve as a regular closet for the bedroom in addition to the other bedroom closet
Another thing you should change on your design is the door to the W.C. It should swing out. There is no way you will be able to go into the W.C and close the door....without squeezing up against the wall....
Food for thoughts

Olav
June 29, 2013 at 3:58AM   
the CAD Studio
@ suzanne_m

It is never too late, hon. If you have the desire, only you can stop you..... Dream big, work hard, pray often.....
June 29, 2013 at 4:00AM   
suzanne_m
the CAD Studio, thank you for your encouragements.

I am glad you correct me about the towel closet. I thought it was weird that you consider this space to be a towel closet. It is a great idea to reserve a space of the closet for keeping towels. You are right for the toilet area, the door should open outward.

Aly1331, I realize that no space was reserved for a towel bar. You could put one on the shower door.
June 29, 2013 at 10:22AM   
Help with Master Bedroom/Ensuite design
Hi, we are just about to kick off the last room in...
Master bedroom & bath design dilemma
We are remodeling our master bedroom and bath. Should...
Master Bedroom Design and Niche Dilemma
NOTE: This attached pics are the previous homeowners...
Master bedroom Design Dilemma!
Help! I need to choose a carpet for my bedroom and...
Master bedroom design dilemma!
I have recently purchased a house and I need help with...
Need help with this master bedroom redecorating
We are so excited to get to redecorate. Does the picture...
Living room makeover.
Really would like to dress this living room up for...
Need help for my downstairs livingroom!
Hi. I really need som help with my downstairs livingroom....
Search for a certain type of pendant -- so close, but can't find!
I have a country kitchen, the look of which I'd like...
I need help with a fireplace.
Can I please get some ideas to "update" this tired...