help with master bedroom.....paint furniture, new?
Alicia
we remodeled and I love this paint throughout the house but the Master Bedroom is just not happening for us......any ideas?
Alicia
another view....
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 1:22AM
carolins
Your furniture is beautiful. I wouldn't paint it and wouldn't buy new (unless you're bored of it). But I think we can make this a GORGEOUS bedroom.
I'll have a think about it.

Can you put the bed on the tall dresser wall?
4 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 25, 2013 at 1:50AM
carolins
And some more ideas. I think the window treatment in this first one is gorgeous for the style of your furniture. Roman blinds with curtains on a thicker wooden rod (thicker and wider than the one that is currently above the window to your patio).

Could you post even more pictures of your bedroom? We can't yet see every angle of the room. I'm missing the corner to the right of your bed.

Client Photos

Kathleen Burke Design
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 2:04AM
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 3:01AM
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Hi Alicia. It's a lovely space. What style are you looking for. The fireplace and furniture are quite traditional but that doesn't mean you can't inject some contemporary prints and make the room a bit more upbeat. The photos carolins above are lovely if you want to stay in the traditional style.

You may want to consider a consultation with a local professional just to help you narrow down your direction and give you some ideas. They are usually in tune with what is currently in vogue in your area or country and can make recommendations based on your style and budget.

Can the bed go on the wall where the dresser is so that both end tables fit beside it?

Consider taking your draperies right to the ceiling or two to three inches below as that will reinforce the height of the room. Also consider using a roman blind in conjunction with a stationary panel. Not sure if cascades in swags are in style where you live, not so much in Toronto, but if it's something you love then take them up higher above the window and take the cascades to the bottom of the frame or the floor.

If you want to keep the gray chair find a fabric that has the green and the gray in it like the one in the image below. It doesn't have to be "that" particular fabric or that style but it would be nice if it has the two colours in it.
You could choose a beautiful piece of art and then draw your colours for the room from that particular piece. Again, hard to make suggestions without knowing you and your style.

Consider something larger over the fireplace. Either art or a large mirror.

To paint or not paint your furniture depends on the direction you want your room to take. You will definitely get varying opinions on that question. It's lovely as is but if you want something really bright, new and fresh then having it professionally refinished in a lighter colour could be an option. Again, just general ideas to help you see what the different options would do in conjunction with the colours that are showing up on the computer screen.

Good Luck.
6 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 25, 2013 at 4:14AM
creeser
I think you have a gorgeous room and furniture, you just need to add a little drama. Rich drapes at the windows like the ones shown in carolins second photo. Hang them from just below the ceiling. You definitely need some art work and an ornate mirror. Unless you need the ceiling fan, I would think of changing it out to a chandelier. I don't know what type of lamp you have on the night stand, but something sparkly there would look nice as well.
2 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 25, 2013 at 4:21AM
Alicia
Before we remodeled we DID have our bed on the large wall......we moved the door to the bathroom and totally changed the way the room looked (I'm afraid to post the "before" picture b/c honestly they look better than the "after" :/ ) but I will. We were never really able to enjoy the fireplace b/c there was not that much space. So we changed the entrance to the bathroom, so that our room could have the bed facing the fireplace and outside. I just have not found the "this is it" like I have with the rest of the house.....thank you for taking the time to help, b/c I need it! :)
6 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 6:08PM
Colleen Stocks
I think some crown moulding and some artwork would do wonders. Beautiful room though.
3 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 25, 2013 at 6:31PM
Alicia
Carolyn C, My style is more Traditional to Casual Comfy. I will post some pictures of the rest of our home and that may give you a better idea.
2 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 6:48PM
Jennifer Scully
I think you have a beautiful room. Wallpaper would do wonders. I like your bed on the larger wall. If you need furniture, a secret designer resource is www.discountdesignerfurnishings.com. You can click on all the manufacturers' sites and request discounted pricing on any item.
3 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 9:19PM
Perry Mirocha - Professional Organizer
Take a look at my profile page for color choices and some inspiration! I would paint the set black.
0 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 25, 2013 at 9:23PM
studio10001
I think replacing your accent color (and there are nice strong choices above) will go a long way here. I'll suggest denser fabrics for the bed, cushions and drapery panels, an ottoman and throw for the chair, and if you must leave the bed where it is, the addition of an upholstered bench,all to pick up the third color. I agree w the addition of glittery bits via mirror/lighting choices ( new lamps?) and bedside baubles, and would encourage the use of strong frame choices you have begun with for walled art. You might consider changing the color of the large photo to a sepia or black and white, as well.
2 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 25, 2013 at 9:47PM
Curb Appeal Renovations
I also think that your room is beautiful and you have received some great ideas. I understand your problem and I think bringing some warm colors would look nice. Look at some pictures and see if anything jumps out at you, go with your heart and makes you feel Home.
1 Like   Thanked by Alicia    June 25, 2013 at 9:57PM
bumblebee728
I really like the style of your home, your bedroom with the fireplace flanked by windows reminded me of one of my favorite bedroom photos shown below:
3 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 25, 2013 at 10:19PM
lshawinfo
I love how the pic by bumblebee728 displays a larger/more prominent fireplace. Maybe, in looking at your current photos, that, along with substantial drapes & then stronger pattern on bedding, it would feel balanced?
2 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 25, 2013 at 11:06PM
siennasaddler
Can you take pictures of all four walls? That might help in determining furniture placement, though I think you have a great sense of style from the pictures!
1 Like   Thanked by Alicia    June 25, 2013 at 11:59PM
Serra Design Inc
Hi Alicia, i would chime in however I think you are in good hands with both Carolins/Carolyn
1 Like   Thanked by Alicia    June 26, 2013 at 10:33AM
Dezign Studio Inc
How about placing the bed as before against the large wall , but moving more towards the door, removing the desk. Then although you do not face the windows, you still have more space around the fireplace. The dresser and desk can go back to the wall opposite . You can flank the fireplace with two chairs, but if you need just one chair then the desk or dresser can go on the other side of the bed ,near the window .
2 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 26, 2013 at 12:00PM
carolins
Hmm... I did like the bed on the long wall. The wall that it's on now seems too short, but you know best what feels good in your room. I do like Dezign Studio's suggestion of furniture placement, but I would really like to see that one corner of the room that we haven't seen yet. It's the bottom left area of Dezign's drawing.
1 Like   Thanked by Alicia    June 26, 2013 at 1:02PM
Alicia
ok! in just a minute.......I broke my elbow....ouch! so it has not been easy to make the bed ;)
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 5:44PM
Alicia, sorry to hear about your elbow, that must have hurt.

I understand you wanting to look at the fireplace and the view. You have to decide on option 1, the bed where it is or 2 moving it back and as suggested. The orientation of the room seems more suited to the original layout. I would consider Dezign's suggestion to move the desk so you can move the bed further left along the wall to give you more space by the fireplace. If you want to keep the bed where it is, consider two swivel chairs in front of the fireplace , facing each other with a small table in between. You could then swivel to enjoy the fireplace and the view, as well as enjoy it from the bed. You could tape the size of the chairs and small table out on the floor so you can see how it fits as I don't really know the scale. This will create an intimate seating area for you and your significant other. Then consider a much larger piece over the fireplace, do take your window treatments to the ceiling or almost to the ceiling. Co-ordinate your prints on the chairs and the bedding and you should have a most wonderful space.

Hope your elbow heals soon.
1 Like   June 26, 2013 at 6:36PM
oops, attached one chair twice so here is the other one
1 Like   June 26, 2013 at 6:37PM
Chairs above for style idea only, not the fabric on them, Chairs in the photo below are nice as well.
0 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 26, 2013 at 6:39PM
Another view and ottoman option
3 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 26, 2013 at 6:41PM
Alicia
I love your ideas and just told my husband what you said......and he just smiled ;) b/c guess who gets to move the bed? I also have this beautiful duvet cover from arhaus....but thought it was too beige.......
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 7:02PM
Alicia
here is that corner
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 7:09PM
bumblebee728
That duvet cover is beautiful. I think if you add some color to the bed in shams and a coverlet, and then color around the room in art and maybe lamps, you'd be we'll on your way to loving your room. Also, consider a larger lamp next to the bed.
Is there, by any chance hardwood under the carpet?
2 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 26, 2013 at 7:34PM
I agree, Am hesitant to advise on colours as on one computer your room appears green and on another it appears gray and sometimes beige but it looks like you are able to mix colours on your own but just have a bit of trouble with scale etc. So yes, definitely larger lamp or lamps and pieces over the fireplace. Chairs look lovely and you can face them in front of the fireplace with the ottoman in the middle if you like. Great art with lovely colours would really make the room sing :-) Enjoy
1 Like   Thanked by Alicia    June 26, 2013 at 7:44PM
Alicia
bumblebee....no that is brand spanking new carpet......it does not look as pretty as in person......ok, by larger do you mean wider? i LOVE the circle mirror over the fireplace....and am planning on getting that! :) Carolyn, the paint changes colors depending on what room it is in.......if there is natural wood...it appears green/gray, if there is a lot of white it becomes more gray?
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 7:54PM
Alicia
bumblebee.......we debated on hardwood in the bedroom, but I sometimes just like the feel and warmth of carpet :) but I LOVE that picture you posted for me above .......I believe we will move the bed, and i will start trying to bring in some accent pieces . thanks for your time and help, it is much appreciated :)
2 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 8:03PM
Consider adding crown moulding, a good size one, not a tiny little one and then taking your drapes up to sit about 3" below the crown. If they are too short and you want to use them add a band of print across the top or bottom. I really think they would look nice in a printed fabric that pulls your colours all together and then add some as one side of a throw and a cushion or two.
4 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 26, 2013 at 8:19PM
bumblebee728
Alicia, you're welcome, I love your room.
And I too, love the feel and warmth of carpet in bedrooms. I was admiring the chairs and ottoman, and was trying to think of a way to add contrast around them so they would stand out more. That's what made me wonder if you had hardwood under the carpet.
The lamp(s), since it or they (not sure if you'll have one or two end tables), will be next to your bed, I think a little taller, and 'heftier', to add more visual weight.
For accent colors, I'd say they should be in some darker colors, whether it be in art, pattern or accessories, also for contrast.
I also love crown molding for this room, as Carolyn C suggested.
Can't wait to see how your room progresses, hope your elbow is healing well!
2 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 26, 2013 at 8:58PM
carolins
Oh dear, I'm so sorry for you. A broken elbow, that must be really painful. Hope it heals well and quickly.
1 Like   Thanked by Alicia    June 27, 2013 at 1:07AM
jeh1111
Could you please share the name of beautiful green paint color and co, I will use it in my new house, thanks
0 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 3:22AM
Priority One Coatings
The interior of your home has a very natural look, so a warm and natural colour will suit it most. I believe for the time being you are not thinking of changing your floor look, so you better go with a natural color that matches both your floor and walls or best listen to your heart and color it.
2 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 27, 2013 at 3:47AM
Alicia
jeh1111 The color is Gateway Gray by Sherwin Williams ......here it is in another part of house.....we loveit!
0 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 4:12AM
carolins
You do have a beautiful home.
I agree with the above posters who said that you could use some more substantial lamps in your bedroom, a bit of 'bling' (the mirror for example) and some luxurious fabric window treatments.
You could keep everything in the greyish tones or add some sage or mossy green perhaps?
I'd rather hang a mirror over the dresser in stead of over the fireplace. And a larger, more colourful painting over the fireplace. Something that is about the size of the actual hearth/opening of the fireplace.

I do like the colour palette and the curtains in this bedroom (ánd the mirrors).
Tholen House

The Good Earth, landscape painting
Evening Mystery, Landscape Painting
Hendrick Table Lamp
Bellesol Mirror
Vintage Velvet Drapery
3 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 27, 2013 at 8:10AM
I'd start with the vignette of FP and windows because those are not dependent on where the bed moves. Neither is crown molding, so that would be a third "kick-starter" for your space. As those progress you'll begin to see how the bed and other furnishings need to come into the picture. I might only suggest that you retrieve the SW Gateway Gray chip card and see if there is a darker version on it you'd like to try in this room. It is a bit washed out on my monitor and could use a deeper shade of your favorite color.
2 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 27, 2013 at 8:27AM
Serra Design Inc
Hi Alicia, I am really liking the direction Carolin/Carolyn C is taking you in, each have furniture and design elements that would work in your room. However i would like to suggest that since there is a lot of "blank space" on your walls and in order to create interest I would suggest raised moldings around the room. (see pix) Also by adding a crown and beefing up the base moldings this will give the room a more expensive look. The Fireplace feels alone in the room and is screaming for a relationship, by adding moldings around the windows and adding frame moldings to the walls this will help to build this relationship, and will take the room from ordinary to extraordinary, especially if you contrast your wall colors with white trim as you did in the kitchen.

I am sure the fan is a necessity however a chandelier would be amazing in this space. (see pix)
4 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 27, 2013 at 10:23AM
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend a Roman shade for this room it will give you the darkenss you need and there are many colors and textures you can choose from.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
2 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 27, 2013 at 2:22PM
Love the mouldings Serra Design. It would look lovely
2 Likes   Thanked by Alicia    June 27, 2013 at 7:08PM
nitaking
The good news is you are starting with decent bones. The furniture is great, I wouldn't paint it as suggested by another post. Did you say you just painted this room? If not, I would consider a color like Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams - I have this color in one of my rooms and I absolutely melt when I am in there - totally soothing like a bedroom should be. Just adding a little color on the walls will make the fireplace, chairs and window coverings pop. I also think the answer to your windows is bamboo wooden shades. They add texture, a natural element, and they are a classic. The bedding is a good base but you need to splurge a little on the pillow situation or a coverlet for the foot of the bed. Add three euro shams and a couple king size shams or a long bolster. I'm always trying to stretch my dime and ready made bedding works but you have to go custom on your pillows. It makes all the difference, fall in love with a couple fabric combinations and go for it. Repeat one of the fabrics in a throw pillow or two on the chair. Good Luck!
1 Like   Thanked by Alicia    June 27, 2013 at 7:28PM
julieloveandrews
Hiiiiiiiiiiiiiii,I recommend this ceiling light for you,It will bring your room more attractive,if you like,you can visit jollyhome.com,I ever bought some items from them,excellent!!!!
0 Likes   June 27, 2013 at 7:33PM
carolins
Haha... just after I commented on your living room it dawned on me that I'd seen that living room before :-) It's yours. Absolutely lovely!
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 5:43AM
Karin Madgwick
I agree with Carolinns and her first example.
1 Like   Thanked by Alicia    June 29, 2013 at 6:52PM
Lin Doyle
I just got the same mirror (from Ballard Design, right?) Great price for the size and I looked everywhere. And I also like glass lamps but this shape is what we went with-http://www.laylagrayce.com/Products/Jamie-Young-Lighting-Table-Lamp-Base-Saint-Charles-Clear-Seeded-Glass-Small__JY1STCHSMCL.aspx
Sorry, talking about what Carolinns suggested.
0 Likes   July 28, 2013 at 3:29PM
carolins
Oh wow, I didn't know the laylagrayce site, but they have gorgeous stuff :-)
0 Likes   July 29, 2013 at 11:43AM
Stephanie Long
Your space is fantastic, and I have no doubt it will turn out great. I would suggest a largish piece of art over the bed to add some character and your own style to the space. There is a new iPad app called ARTtwo50 that allows you to see art virtually hanging in your space. All the works are original and 250$..and I've found a lot of work i love. You can browse through the works and then compare them and see what you like best in your space. You can find it at www.arttwo50.com. Hope this helps! I would suggest something sort of natural and whimsical judging by the colors and current direction of the space.
0 Likes   July 29, 2013 at 2:04PM
1 Like   July 29, 2013 at 2:08PM
Please help with furniture layout in my new Master Bedroom
We are trying to decide how to arrange furniture in...
Karen
Master bedroom paint and angles...and NO FURNITURE...PLEASE help!
This is a huge dilemma, and I don't know what to focus...
christi
Need help with new color paint for Master Bedroom.
We are looking to repaint our Master Bedroom which...
chucktine
Bold paint colour for new master bedroom...please help!
Sooty, no pics because we aren't finished building...
lizzy2fire
Help with New Master Bedroom/Master Bathroom
HI! I am very excited, I am finally to the point of...
natehi
Need help with decorations
I have this weird area in my condo that I have no idea...
bksamuel
Need to fit five kids in this room
Need to fit five kids in this room. Two 13yrs olds...
happycl8
Not happy with new drapes :(
My designer is telling me the new drapes are perfect....
angelewing
Dilemmas without end.
Not exactly a design question, but is there a competition...
flopsycat1
Creative search in progress. Wardrobe
A great example of our creative ideas to lift the mood...
Vanguard development LA