azsuperchick
I am purchasing this home and trying to decide paint colors. The tile is light to medium brown. Can I go with greys for the walls with brown tile? I wanted to try the cool tones of greys/teals/greens/blues in the open rooms living room/kitchen/dining room/family room. Also, what to do with the arch? I don't really like the stark contrast they have now, but wondering if I should paint it all the same color or add some contrast to make the arch stand out. Any thoughts appreciated.
bepsf
What fabrics are you using in these rooms for upholstery or drapery? What rugs?
Those are where you should pull your color from - not someone's random suggestion...
...tho whatever you do, definitely paint out that arch and accent wall - Since you have an open plan space - you should have all the walls the same light color so your spaces will flow and feel open.
September 16, 2011 at 7:30am   
azsuperchick
Thanks for your thoughts. I really don't have anything for in this room yet. I was going to start with the paint, since we would like to have the home painted before having the movers deliver our stuff. Maybe I will have to shop for an area rug or accent pillows as a starting off point?

I was thinking of doing greys in the living room and a green or teal in the kitchen and using that as an accent color in the living room. Would that tie them in well enough or should I stick to the same color paint in all these rooms? I was also thinking choosing two colors (grey and green) then doing one shade different in kitchen/dining room and living/family room to add some interest. Does this work to tie them together or is it still better visually to use all the same color? Thanks again for thoughts.
September 16, 2011 at 1:17pm   
bepsf
Since your space all runs together - I would still treat it as one large room, using the same paint colors throughout.

A grey might not be a bad starting place - There's that band of diagonal tile between rooms that appears to have cream & grey, or even the grey of the grout for the tile would be a good tie-together element.

The point is to repeat elements, shapes, colors and textures to make the entire space feel cohesive & welcoming rather than a random & jarring mish-mosh.
September 16, 2011 at 2:19pm   
Marie Hebson's interiorsBYDESIGN Inc.
May I make a suggestion - NEVER start with the paint. When I am designing new show homes for builders, paint is the absolute last thing I choose because it needs to tie in everything, If you floor and your countertops are staying, start with that - pick a gray, brown, white and cream that go with those two items that are staying. Add fabrics that compliment all of those things - its a chain reaction that once you've decided on one thing, the next has to go with previous decisions etc. Definitely start with an inspiration point of painting, fabric for toss cushions - something to tie-in your flooring and countertops - Good Luck!
September 16, 2011 at 10:54pm   
crystalbeachmom
What we did when I bought my big empty white box, was to get the fabric that I just completely fell head over heels in LOVE with, lay a huge piece of it out on the floor, then dump all the paint chips I could get on top and have a seat. One of my best friends helped me and we picked every color for every room right there. I already ha the furniture and drapery fabric, everything just fell into place. It was the best thing I ever did.
September 19, 2011 at 7:13am   
Curtain Lady Design
I like a warmer color with that color tile- There is a "Pony Tail" color (Lowe's) that is warmer and picks up the golden colors nicely. The arch detail around the fireplace- I would go darker on that to tie with the tile- not contrast. Grey doesn't seem to go with any of the floor or counter top- but maybe I am just not seeing it in the natural light- but in the photos that's what I see. The white in the kitchen looks very stark and the red wall is just unsightly! But that's just an opinion. I agree that you need to know what rugs are going to be used as well to choose the wall colors. As far as pulling in greys/silvers (furniture, accents), I see alot of that combination with yellowy/golds(walls). The tile just looks really brown toward terra cotta in these pictures. It would be nice to paint first- but consider getting your furniture and colors going, and then paint room to room- to see it come together. Nice open spaces to work with- this would be a dream to decorate!
September 19, 2011 at 7:15am   
leyla
I agree with Cmariehebson. Don't rush the paint, move in and live in it and let your inspiration come to you. Nothing worse than rushing paint and then having to redo later. What if you find a rug you love 3 months after living there and now the walls don't go? What if you find some great pillows only to have the dog chew them up and now you made your whole room around it? Those walls are tall and you have a ton to paint. I say figure out what "look" you want and wait for it. Piece it together over time. Also, I do not agree that you have to do the same color everywhere. You have clear delineation of rooms judging by your photos. Good luck, you have a blank canvas.
September 19, 2011 at 7:17am   
Hilari Younger
if you want to use grey, chose one that has browner pigment...taupe is a basic way of blending the brown and grey. Neutrals are amazing but they can clash too. If you didnt want to fight the archway...i would suggest changing the ceiling fan to a fun chandelier. Have fun and let us see your progress!
September 19, 2011 at 7:19am   
NEMM Design Group, Inc.
You have an amazing space! When in a dilemma and if the client needs time to pick out furniture and decorate, I go with Greige color, it's a perfect neutral, not really grey and not really beige...What I did for someone in a similar situation that had to paint before furnishing, I used 3 successive paint colors in the same color palette and placed them on the walls according to how much light each wall got, it worked out great...Best of luck!
September 19, 2011 at 7:20am     
colettedornblum
I agree with both Nemm and Cmariehebson. Starting with paint should not be your first step.

But sometimes clients want to start with paint first and as long as you are using a neutral color paint I think you will be fine. I would stay in the GREIGE color family that will compliment your tile and give some warmth to the space

The Bennington Gray color above by Benjamin Moore is a nice choice as is Revere Pewter (I've used multiple times) and accent in a softer, less stark white, cream.

Tie the two rooms together with the same color making your space appear larger and the kitchen with a muted, cool teal shade.

Good luck!
September 19, 2011 at 7:41am   
Brian Frailey
Are you planning on keeping the tile or changing it?
September 19, 2011 at 8:23am   
dlglasky
I would totally paint your living space a pretty charcoal gray. Change out your blinds to shutters (white) and those with your white trim will just pop! There are so many cool area rugs out these days, the sky is the limit. Go neutral with your furniture and turn up the volume with throw pillows, accent chair(s) and throws. Don't be afraid to mix silver finishes and gold tone finishes with accent tables. If you want to keep the fan, just change it out to some a bit more modern. You have a very cool space; you can do so much there!! Teal (kitchen) with splashes of orange is to die for!!
September 19, 2011 at 8:45am   
Alison
I do colour consultations professionally with my clients all the time and yes paint is the last on the list for choices, only because there are so many options... As a painter though, I understand the logic behind painting before you move in... You already have some things you wont be changing right? (countertops, cabinets, flooring etc) so pull a fabulous neutral from there. If you are wanting to stay neutral then your fabrics etc will probably work but anything you can bring in to use in your selection will help a lot. I rarely recommend painting one colour throughout I am a big fan of layering colours... ie cream, mid tone grey and charcoal... use the cream and mid tone for 70% of your walls and then use the charcoal sparingly. In other rooms you can then use one of the two lighter "transition" colours and pull in a teal rather than the charcoal.... and do colour blocking. It is extremely effective and looks decorated AND if you get sick of the teal it is one or two walls to paint not a whole room or house.... couple of colour selection tips...

Do NOT look at colours against any colour that is going to be removed. Hold your chip up against the door (if colour is not changing) or the cabinets or couch etc... when we hold a colour up against a wall colour we are changing, it distorts our perception of the colour

Do NOT think that because there are 4 or 5 colours on a chip from the paint store that they match... rarely is that the case. Look at one colour at a time (same concept as above)

It is process of elimination NOT selection... just keep throwing away the colours you DON'T like...

Do NOT pick your colours anywhere other than in the room you are putting the colour.

Good luck and have fun
September 19, 2011 at 8:57am     
Alison
Sorry... one more thing... it looks like your corners are rounded... PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE do NOT run a tape line down that corner and do a colour change unless you ABSOLUTELY have to... it looks so awful... treat your space like one giant room and carry the colour to the next inside corner... it works amazing...
September 19, 2011 at 8:59am   
ltbeck
I agree with the "live with it" before deciding. But I would for sure paint out the trim around and above the fireplace in a color that blends into the tile. It would make the fireplace look a lot bigger..that is a teeny fireplace for such a large room.
September 19, 2011 at 10:09am   
woofwoof
If you're not changing the tile, you have to pick what goes with it, which may not necessarily be what you want (i.e., grays). I see a brown with lots of yellow/gold undertones. Don't see gray anywhere in there....what about a creamy warm white? Also, you've got dark kitchen cabinets. Keeping them dark? A light warm white will play off greatly. You've got lots of wall space to buy half a dozen paint samples and try them before you decide. Or get your stuff in, but don't position it near the walls yet and see what happens when you get your stuff inside. Good luck! I had to do the same thing -- my crew is painting interior walls as I write!
September 19, 2011 at 10:33am   
Terry Mulligan Gallery
If you're looking for more information, here's a great article … just Google ... Yahoo! The Color Perfect: Finding The Perfect Colors For Your Furniture, Flooring, Walls, And Accessories … It's an easy read with lots of tips you can use on the subject.
March 20, 2012 at 7:11pm   
Need help with this master room ceiling
Hi Everyone I totally don't know how should i handle...
Need help styling my kitchen.
My kitchen is missing the wow factor that is created...
Curb appeal -- how can I get some?!
What would you do to give this house curb appeal??...
Need help decorate niche which is beside fireplace?.
We have a entertainment niche beside fireplace that...
Too much painted furniture?
With the strong advice of Houzzers, I painted our entertainment...