Need flooring ideas for lake cabin with cedar walls and ceiling

skyebrayJune 25, 2013
Any ideas as to what type of flooring we should install in this darling little lakeside cabin? The interior walls and ceiling are covered in stained cedar planking and beams, and we do not intend to paint over the wood in an effort to keep the rustic feel. Cabinetry in the kitchen will be creamy white, as will sofas, rugs, linens, etc.
Dar Eckert
I think I would paint the wood floor. A lot of cabins have painted wood floors.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 9:25AM
B.L. Rieke Custom Home Builders
If you have the option of getting tile, I would suggest tile. It is low maintenance, beautiful, and has lots of options to choose from. In our houses, we often use flagstone or slate tile. The first picture below is of a custom home we built; it has a California slate tile floor. The second is a picture of Mongolian Spring slate flagstone tile.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 10:39AM
Walter Comstock
Will your floor hold the weight of tile? if so Mexican tile or the flagstone mentioned above would look great, you sure don't want wood.
    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 10:51AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
I like the idea of painted floors. As they age they will give character to the room.
8 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 10:59AM
crystahooker
If there is good quality concrete under the wood, it looks awesome stained. The process is cost effective and quick.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 12:54PM
If you could do underfloor heat, then stone tile has a lot to recommend it for the rusticity - slate has terrific colors for wood but it is not very level. Otherwise, it is hard to stand on for a long time, and cold. If your cabin was someplace hot, then stone would be ideal, but if it is someplace that gets cold, definitely stick with wood if you can't heat it.

I like the idea of painting the floor you have / washing it with warm gray paint so you get some contrast but you still have the rustic feeling. Something like sw garret gray - cut 2/3 paint, 1/3 water - use what you have before you rework it, I say.
7 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 1:17PM
portabella
I live in a log house that was built in the 30's and I tire of texture being everywhere so I would paint the floor. You could consider a muted checkerboard...but I love the above idea with the gray wash too.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 2:16PM
meatpie
I also agree...paint the floors. My aunt and uncle have a low country home with painted white pine floors. It is amazing and just gets better some seven years later. You can also add some durable oriental type rugs to give it more softness in places. We just rented a beach cabin with wood floors layered with jute and oriental rugs
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 2:26PM
Tremeshia Ellis
I am all about poured concrete floors. They are durable and will add a modern touch to counter balance the feel of the walls and ceiling. Yes, the concrete will be cold if you don't add heating elements.
    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 2:31PM
I have to disagree with concrete floors - the perfect way to ruin your body. I have too many friends whose health has been badly influenced due to standing on concrete floors all day long. Only in a basement rec room would I want them. Our cabin has recycled wood floors out of an old warehouse.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 2:38PM
Tremeshia Ellis
The recycled warehouse floors sound cool, but would be a little overwhelming in my opinion. I think the owners are looking to break up the current "wood, wood, wood" interior design scheme. Maybe doing something different with the walls is an option? Also, I am aware of the risks of standing all day on concrete floors. However, you wouldn't be standing on your home's floors for 8 hours a day. I'm sure they will have some sort of seating. Also, anti-fatigue mats/rugs can be used in the kitchen area to provide relief when preparing meals, etc.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 2:52PM
Well, my personal preference is a floor i can stand on all day, as I cook three meals and would not want a mat or rug as a tripping risk. I do think concrete floors have their place and have seen some beautiful ones, just not for me.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 3:54PM
skyebray
The little cabin currently has dreadful cheap vinyl fake tile and fake wood flooring throughout, so unfortunately I can't simply paint it, although I kind of like the idea. There is no concrete slab, as it is built off the ground, so I can't stain it either. Love the idea of the flagstone tile, but wondering if that would be costly to put throughout the entire house?? Would a whitewashed or whitebrushed wood laminate be insane? Or simply a crime??
1 Like    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 4:06PM
Karen Heffernan
flagstone would definitely be costly, and hard on your feet. I have Pergo Coastal Pine in my house, and I love it. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Pergo-XP-Coastal-Pine-10-mm-Thick-x-4-7-8-in-Wide-x-47-7-8-in-Length-Laminate-Flooring-13-1-sq-ft-case-LF000343/202882908#.UcpChxZyii0
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 6:23PM
jennimarquette
I just left Home Depot and the "slate" looking laminate was beautiful. Cost of Pergola and the look of tile or slate. Check it out.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 7:20PM
mendys
I'd go slate or slate-like tiles on the floor. Another option would be concrete with an etched/stained pattern to look like natural stone. Wood floors would be too much wood.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 7:35PM
ZS Interior Design
Slate in the largest tiles you can get or large random slate pieces with a dark grey grout. I agree wood floors would be to much.
5 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 7:46PM
Select Hardwood Floor Co.
I'm a little biased... but I know one thing for sure... we supply an awful lot of hardwood flooring to the Lake Tahoe area. And most of those houses are mountain cabin d├ęcor.
Wood is a much better insulator and a lot more forgiving than stone if you drop something on it.
Easier on the "hoofs" as well.
I wouldn't let the other wood dissuade me. There's plenty available in species that will coexist with your knotty cedar. Hickory is a definite option... light, creamy tans & soft browns in natural hickory.
Maybe just a touch of color to accent your other accessories.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 7:59PM
fredm51
I'm a woodworker and love wood but think about white pickled finish on the walls. And you would not have to be some picky on the floor.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 8:20PM
Select Hardwood Floor Co.
Fred makes an excellent suggestion (that I was thinking, but was too cowardly to voice...lol)... bravo Fredm51 !!!
That would really open a LOT of doors to numerous options.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 25, 2013 at 8:51PM
nmwma
Oil the walls to add a soft glow and use either random width square cut pine and paint it, or Marmoleum tiles which can resemble the old linoleum floors and give you color. Tile floors are cold and noisy. Think about painting the wall with the clock to give a color punch.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 3:02AM
Kay
Marmoleum Click is a eco-friendly, vintage-style, floating floor that you might love for your cabin. We're using it in our 30's kitchen; I blogged about it here: http://redbirdv.wordpress.com/2013/05/27/i-want-a-retro-tile-floor/.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 4:00AM
colourlove
I have white painted wood look laminate flooring in my home and love it. It is a a bit cold underfoot in winter but i dare say less cold than tiles would be. your cabin would look great with a white floor.
    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 5:05AM
Select Hardwood Floor Co.
Okay final, final comment...
I'm not an Interior Designer (but I've played one on TV... not really).
However, we have the good fortune to work with some of the finest... and thus SEE the results of great ideas.

Lighten the walls... the space would look SOoo much bigger!
Whitewash, (or off-white if you "washed" over the existing)...
Not talking about paint, but that's an option as well.
Added benefit of opening many doors to flooring options
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 5:54AM
ellyn143
We just finished a vacation lake house last year and installed a Shaw wood-look laminate product. It's been great in terms of the look and low maintenance at an affordable price. I agree you would probably want to select something other than wood with all the pine, so what about using a slate-look laminate like the photos below? I'm sure there are lots of other selections that might suit your needs as well.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 6:08AM
bonrud
Cork flooring may be a good option-variety of colors, patterns, etc. Tile or plank. Warm, easy on legs for standing long period of time, hypoallergenic, resists mold and mildew, shock absorbing, insulating.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 6:26AM
gailc33
Tile or slate sounds a bit too "grand" and modern, or a rustic cabin by the lake. Grey painted wood would soften the look beautifully, it is a cheap option, and it ages well. We have left our cabin by the lake with the old pine panelling which just gets more buttery with age., and the floors are the traditional fir I think. To break up the monotony of wood, area rugs do the trick and keep it cosy in the shoulder seasons.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 6:37AM
reknew
We too have a lakeside cabin needing a flooring upgrade. Most lake cabins here are built off the ground on blocks or on a crawlspace. The cabins tend to move...that is expand and contract with seasonal temperatures. Tile , slate and concrete are problematic because of weight and movement resulting in cracking. We are exploring wood plank laminates with a moisture/insulation underlayment. If moisture is an issue for you consider vinyl wood look laminates. Good luck and post your completed project......Oh and keep the cabin look with the stained cedar walls and beams....Wadco Wood Oils are a good enhancer for dry looking wood walls.......just check for compatible base first.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 6:40AM
wilfredgray
I would go with reclaimed wood. I would leave the wood that you have and try to match the width of what you have for the rest of the cabin. Strip it down and leave it the natural lighter color. For interest in certain areas, you could stain "carpet" looks before adding a top finish. The taping off part is the hardest part of the job, but once done it is beautiful. I have done this with my deck and it looks incredible. I wish I could show you but I don't know how to download pics. Take the color from the wood walls and make that one of the colors in the floor carpet pattern and that will pull it all together. I wish I had a place like this. Good luck!
    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 6:50AM
Antique Building Materials, Inc.
Wow, folks have plenty of great suggestions. Despite the fact we sell flooring from reclaimed antique structures, I would install new #2 (selection grade) white oak flooring, in wide planks of up to 7.50". White oak is my preferred species, but other hardwoods would be perfectly acceptable. New pine flooring can be way too soft for my tastes The new oak will be very hard/durable and have much the same appearance of character seen in antique flooring, but at roughly 1/2 the price. My recommendation for max widths of 7.5" is limit the possibility of cupping or movement.
Regardless of what wood flooring you may choose, MAKE SURE the producer kiln dries the wood to at least 160 degrees and for a minimum of 4 hours. I underand this is the approved method of the USDA. This is THE ONLY method to ensure there will be zero live infestation. Powder post beetles eggs can remain dormant for up to a year. When they hatch..... suffice to say nothing good occurs. Don't let them try to convince you that there dehumidifiers and a little heat accomplish the same goal.

My suggestion of the new, versus antique flooring, is based on seeing this type flooring installed in local homes. If I had not known beforehand, I would have assumed they were indeed antique.

Color is a matter of personal preference. In this project, I would be inclined to apply something close to a white-washed finish or a light pickling. You are welcome to contact me directly for further suggestions on finishes and without being subjected to sales spiel, just assistance.
Shalom, Fletcher Horn (Fletcher@ABMWOOD.com )
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 7:17AM
margaretk
I live in a cabin also. Don't paint the floors - leave that wood alone. Why spend money to change a wood floor to another wood floor. Just sand and stain this one in a color you like.

Your color should come from the furniture, area rugs, and art work. A nice bright rug would change everything. A great painting hung where that clock is would add color too. I find that reds and blues look great against the wood. Black and white looks great too.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 7:44AM
kika_in_dc
I would stain the floors darker and paint the interior wooden walls either gray or off white. The ceiling and the floors would keep the cabin look and the walls would have a more cottage feel to it.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 7:59AM
Nevin Nelson Design Inc.
I haven't read all comments, but if I were you, I would go to Lumber Liquidators and get some really wide wood planks for the floor, then put some wonderful colorful rugs on top.
    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 8:43AM
Dar Eckert
I have white vinyl floors in the kitchen at the lake and they show every bit of grass and sand that gets drug in. When we have a crowd there it's a matter of minutes before it looks dirty. So, with that said, I think I would go lighter on your floor color but not necessarily white something a little more forgiving. Maybe you should live with what you have for a while and add light color furnishings and rugs to lighten the room up a bit.
    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 8:57AM
citgirl
Check out this link to a norwegian cabin. Maybe the pictures can give you some inspiration. :)

http://m.finn.no/realestate/leisuresale/ad.html?finnkode=40495400&price_from=6600000&no_of_bedrooms=4&situation=1&m2min=130

To me this cabin lacks some rugs, but otherwise it is fantastic.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 9:40AM
kroze
I would opt for wood floors with large area rugs. A cabin should feel warm and snug! Stone floors or even tile would be harsh and cold IMO. I love your cabin. It is a real jewel!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 9:59AM
Leslie Kreger
Distressed white cork flooring would probably look awesome and preserve the rustic feel of your cabin while lightening up the interior. Warm and soft underfoot and easy maintenance...

Good luck with your project! Great space!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 10:04AM
vancity tiles and stones ltd
Check out our website for great ideas: www.vancitytiles.com
    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 10:04AM
Kathryn Peltier Design
You might be able to paint over the flooring that you have now (vinyl and laminate?) as a inexpensive, shorter-term solution. Talk to a good paint store to find out about it. If you decide to replace it, and you want a very inexpensive solution, you can install plywood (or similar) and paint it. It would give you at least the same insulation value as hardwood, I would think (fewer seams), it's inexpensive, it's easy to install, and you could stain it (although I think that would be too much more wood), paint it or paint it in a pattern. We used this on the porch at our cottage, painted, and it looks great. Otherwise, I would install a utility grade oak and stain it white or paint it. I think that stone in your climate would be too cold, plus it would probably be too heavy for your structure.
    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 10:46AM
Kathryn Peltier Design
This has clear-coated plywood walls, but it looks like the floors are, too (and stained in a white?)
Pine Forest · More Info

If you use a deck paint it will wear like iron
Spring 2012 · More Info

This one says plywood floors with concrete paint (???) - might be worth investigating!
open loft · More Info

This could be an interesting idea in your cabin: create a pattern which would have both natural stained, color stained and painted portions. That way, the wood tones would be brought into the floor but in a smaller way.
Victorian Pool House, Atherton, California · More Info

In this house, they removed the flooring down to the subfloor, stained the plywood and dark color and then polyurethaned. This dark color would certainly be too dark for your house, but the same concept could be used with a color stain. Maybe you wouldn't have to do anything more than remove the flooring that is there and use the existing subfloor.

Even OSB can work
Northcote Studio · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 10:56AM
Shannon Olden
wood for sure. much cozier. add an area rug like a berber or sisal in a neutral colour. add cushions and accessories in colours you love.sage green, tan and dark red would look awesome and keep the rustic feel.
4 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 12:05PM
I like the floors just add area rugs. If you want stone go slate 14" tile.
    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 1:41PM
beacon1414
We've owned a cabin for 20 plus years. We love warm and cozy, but at some point, it can just be too dark. Over time, we've added more windows, put a light-color vinyl floor in the kitchen and bath, and raised the flat living room celling to a vaulted ceiling with adjustable can lights to augment floor and table lamps and our ceiling fan light. It has made a huge difference for the better. With all of your pine/wood walls and ceilings (like ours), I would highly recommend going light on the flooring. As an aside, we have nice plaid sofas (medium plus light blue, with cream and touches of gold ) in the living room and a large oval braided rug. I just added a wall quilt and I couldn't be happier with the rustic cabin look and feel. Go for more light. You'll be pleased in the end.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 1:55PM
Aegean Designing Whims
Darling cabin. We just bought one and didn't change a thing. I'm attaching a photo of the painted kitchen floor, and some of our bleached white oak flooring that had been sanded and refinished. I'd stick with narrow oak which is very true to the style. see if you can find someone who will slightly bevel the edges to give an older look. There's also a shot of our master bathroom with white painted pine floor. Do remember though, knots show through naturally with any paint. Chrysteen
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 4:40PM
kroze
Lovely cabin Whims. Thanks for sharing the pretty pics. Makes me want to buy a cabin!
    Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 4:46PM
quantumnerd
I love your cabin! I had seen Sarah Richardson's cabin and they too had a lot of wood, only she white washed her ceiling and walls. And left the floor a natural wood color. But you could do the reverse and white wash the flooring, here are some pictures of her cabin, I always thought it was a really beautiful design. The idea with the light cream colored cabinets in the kitchen is a great idea in fact that's what she did so there would be too much wood competing. Either way maybe you could pick up some decorating ideas from her cottage. They're very similar. :) There are video's on HGTV of the decorating process to. Good Luck!
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 26, 2013 at 5:09PM
sherrybullard
We have a camp and we also have the wood on the ceilings (although our walls are painted. It's very natural and so when we remodeled we wanted to go with something that would be easy maintenance (lots of coming in and out from the lake and 4 pugs) and also look really good. hardwoods are not so good if they are going to constantly be getting wet. In the upstairs we did a Berber carpet and all in the downstairs we did this thick linoleum that looks like stone. Honestly everyone who comes is asks what kind of stone it is lol and it is so much softer on your bare feet!!
    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 27, 2013 at 11:06AM
mab5
I know you said you wouldn't paint the walls or ceiling because you want to keep the rustic feel, but maybe you should reconsider? I think the feel of the cabin could remain rustic if you keep the floors wood with a stain and paint the wood walls and ceiling a white (Dove White) or match kitchen with creamy white. A mix of modern and antique furnishings and kitchen/fixtures would be beautiful in your space! Use of simple whites, grays, and slate colors would also be beautiful fabric choices.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 28, 2013 at 3:59AM
njmomma
" Cabinetry in the kitchen will be creamy white, as will sofas, rugs, linens, etc."

If you are going creamy white then I would leave the floor and walls as is. When you start adding area rugs and a creamy white kitchen, sofa, etc. You will see a big difference in the place. It will definitely open up. Keep the windows treatment free to bring in light. Add light or cream colored area rugs, accessories, large light colored pictures on the walls, white wash some of your accent tables etc. It will transform before your eyes.

Love your place!
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 28, 2013 at 4:15AM
Dar Eckert
Maybe you would want to remove the divider with the clock on it for a more open area
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 28, 2013 at 6:00AM
skyebray
Good eye, Dar! We are demo-ing the divider (it's a pantry!) ASAP!
    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 7:39AM
sstarr93
If you want cost-effective slate, buy the prepackaged kits, which come with a variety of sizes, shapes and colors to make a pattern. Then, as I did, throw out all the red pieces. Worked beautifully for me and cost very little.
But if it were my cabin, I would look for big, rustic stones, and then seal and polish.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    June 28, 2013 at 7:46AM
Glad to hear you are removing wall. I like slate in cabins. Area rugs will room it up. Love Tahoe, lucky you.
    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:26AM
Oak & Broad
Some simple white oak floors would look very nice. Our client finished these floor with Cabot's Bittersweet stain. These are 10" planks with average length of about 8'. Let me know if you have any plank flooring questions. joel@eutree.com
    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 11:52AM
Artwork
I love the idea of painting the floors. I stayed in an old house in Conn. where all the floors were painted almost black. They were gorgeous...rustic but finished. Of course the more coats of paint you put on it the better it will look.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 12:16PM
cohoek
I wouldn't touch the floors, they 're beautiful and a much better wood than the walls, you mijght want to lighten the walls, aren't they pine? Youcould see if you could lighten the wooden walls, we finished our 17 th century pine ceiling with a clear finish with alittle white in it, looked like yoghurt. The walls will only get darker with time....
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 7, 2013 at 2:47PM
snydbc7
Lake Barcroft, Falls Church,VA a porch room was destroyed by a fallen tree from a windstorm. Charlie and crew did a great job in restoring and improving the room. they were very easy to work with . They had good suggestions and the end result is a beautiful glass enclosed room with a cathedral ceiling. We love it, ..
    Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 8:44PM
Victor
I'm late to the party but here is my 2 cents. I have a chestnut cabin built around 1950. The family room where the fireplace is we have a 4 ft wide hearth done in slate in a herringbone pattern. The floor (was covered in an awful rug) we sanded and stained English Chestnut and it looks amazing. The kitchen, eating area and entrance way all tie in together and we did a natural stone travertine which really looks great as a contrast against the darker stained interior logs. You also have to think about foot traffic coming in from outside. We felt that in those areas the wood finish would get chewed up pretty quick with three kids and lots of friends. We didn't touch the walls or ceilings. Also, for the loft and bedrooms we did wall to wall carpeting as I think most would.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by skyebray    July 15, 2013 at 7:55AM
kroze
Gorgeous cabin Victor. You did a wonderful job on the floor! Wish we all had such a beautiful retreat.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 9:42AM
Victor
Thanks Kroze but I can't take too much credit. I know what my limitations are so the floor was out of my wheelhouse lol. I did do the demo on it though which was brutal because of the barf colored 1960 tile they had put down.
    Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 11:45AM
Carini Lang
Go for a beautiful rug with jewel tones. Perhaps a good antique design or even an abstract modern. Use that to create a foundation and the rest of the room will fall into place.
    Bookmark   July 22, 2013 at 11:11AM
Need ideas for replacing a Lopi free standing fireplace in Lake Tahoe home
Have a beautiful 3 sided river rock surround and floor...
abuelita2012
Cabin Interior
My husband and I have been building a cabin since 2007,...
Jenny Edwards
Please help me with my lake house walls and ceiling
I am building a lake house and I have pine walls and...
Tami Colston
We need ideas for the exterior of this humble cabin.
We bought this 1200 sq ft rustic cabin in Island Park,...
janicejohns
Need ideas to update/modernize my cedar walls
We have cedar walls in our living room. I HATE them....
msdunco
Light maple hardwood dilemma
We need advice for our expansive remodel of master...
sister66
What do you guys think of this as a living room chair
Hi friends! I was looking for an upright and ergonomic...
iamhopscotch
Refacing This Fireplace
We have a lot to do with this room. It is paneled with...
Darlene (GreenCurls)
Is it too much?
I ordered this painting from pier1 expecting that it...
adb75
Need ideas for remodeling small bathroom
We need to reconfigure this 5'x9-1/2' bathroom to be...
machapman1