removing terrazzo floors?

kshanahanJune 25, 2013
I like the durability of terrazzo floors in older homes, but we are thinking of buying a new reno, and part of the design would be to open up the floor plan on the first floor. The problem is 3 of the rooms have terrazzo tile that is dated and tired, and in need of repair or replacement. We would prefer to use wood flooring, and this is what is used on the stairs. (see pic)

What are the pros/cons to consider for removing terrazzo or laying wood on top of the existing terrazzo?

Any idea on cost per sq foot? The living room is 26 x 13 and dining room is 16 x 13
Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Design Collaborative
Well the first thing you need to know about terrazzo is that it is akin to concrete. It's not a delicate topping that can being easily removed. You would have to jack hammer out the entire floor. Basically, a very unlikely scenario. If you prefer wood, or any other new surfacing, then it can be applied over the terrazzo. Wood starts at 3 or 4 plus installation and goes up quite a bit. Installation might be 1.50 to 2.50. All psf costs.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 8:59AM
kshanahan
The good news is the baseboards are all standard wood materials so there are not architectural significant. Also there are no radiators in this home to work around. In our existing home we floated wood on top of a concrete garage floor that we converted to living space, and have had zero problems. The terrazzo is in very bad shape with cracks and bubbles, but I would have a professional look at it before I covered it up to make sure it could not be restored. Thank you!
    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 2:11PM
PRO
Oellien Design, Inc.
The terrazzo and the concrete sub base have now become one. The best would be to find a floating wood floor product. The terrazzo would make a great base for the wood floor. All of that said,,,,,,,,,wow,,,,sorry to think you might cover the floors. We are working on a residence in Tulsa that has terrazzo floors and it has brought me back to loving this flooring material. Good Luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 2:20PM