Living Room isn't working together
Kristi S.
I love the things in this room, I just don't think these things are working together. I am waiting on another matching chair to be delivered. I'm not sure what I need next. I think I need a rug (what colors?). Also I need something on the wall above the chair, but what else?
sugarcakes2
I'm not a pro, but I think it would help if you painted the walls a different color. Maybe white or gray
6 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 8:10AM
Brenda
For me the main issue is the wall color ... that fleshy tan doesn't complement the grey.
8 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 8:10AM
Try hanging art by the entertainment unit so its center is at 60" above the floor. Lower the piece above the sofa to 5" above it. Your mirror is not reflecting anything beautiful or interesting, so I'd remove it. Do you have a dining room with chandelier to be reflected? Between the windows would have been where I would have hung TV on the wall with a credenza underneath. Then you could have floated the furniture in the center on a large area rug to make the space more cozy. I might have suggested a gray zebra area rug, but your coffee/hassock is already providing that pattern. Flank the sofa with the two tables and add table lamps. Put a live ficus behind the chair. It should love the window and will add something living and green.
2 Likes   Thanked by Kristi S.    June 25, 2013 at 8:12AM
A rug would definitely help tie the entire space together. The wall color is a bit tan and clashes with the sofa and TV unit. Consider the following color.

1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 8:16AM
Zabet Builders Inc
sometimes its best to let the color play on you
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 8:19AM
Gantt's Decorating
As harsh as this may sound, your room is schizophrenic. Your wall unit is heavy traditional and your furniture is traditional covered in a contemporary material. The end tables ottoman and art work are contemporary. What I would, since the only true traditional thing in the room is the wall unit is go for a contemporary monochromatic look. This will calm down the conflict between periods of pieces. Paint the walls a medium grey. Put down a large plain grey carpet. Paint the end tables and possibly the wall unit a darker grey. Put a black throw on top of the ottoman to cover most of the top. Use chrome lamps and silver accessories to add sparkle. A couple of black,grey and beige stripe throw pillows on the sofa. Adding what some call a "pop" of a bright color will start making the room disjointed again. If you must ad some color only use dull greyed out shades, and keep it at a minimum.
4 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 8:33AM
Gantt's Decorating
One more thing, I am wanting to cover the top of the ottoman because the pattern on it makes it the center of attention which it should not be.
3 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 8:35AM
I think the wall color is the problem also. Texture (everything now is smooth) and sparkle would add interest as well. I was thinking a charcoal gray wall behind the sofa and the other walls a light gray. Table lamps with white shades (maybe silver bases) will pop off the dark gray walls. Here is a photo of charcoal and light gray walls. Notice the lamps pop? Here they are green. I think a monochromatic scheme of black/gray/white in various shades would look sophisticated.
]
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 8:38AM
Kristi..did you want to introduce an accent color? What color were you thinking? The problem is, again, the wall color tho. Would you like to keep the wall color? Hey all...would a purple/lavender accents work with the wall color and furniture?
0 Likes   Thanked by Kristi S.    June 25, 2013 at 8:50AM
Kristi S.
The thing is all of this furniture is new, new paint etc. I'm really looking for something to tie the "schizophrenic" room together, not redo the room. The wall color does look warmer in person. Accent colors would be good too though, I was kind of thinking I'd be tied to the blue in the ottoman for accent, but would love to hear more ideas. Thanks!
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 8:54AM
Ohhh! The ottoman is Navy. It looks black on my screen.
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 9:00AM
www.terricumming.com
Ideally you should paint, something lighter and more neutral - a warm white or grey. Square up the existing chair and when you get the new one have it face the existing on the other side of the ottoman. Purchase an area rug large enough to sit under the sofa and chairs, it will pull everything together. The rug should not have a lot of pattern due to the ottoman, possibly something that is the lighter colour in the ottoman. I agree that the artwork over the sofa should be lowered. As for the mirror, either put a narrow console under it or replace it with a large piece of artwork that fills the space better. Purchase some accent cushions, you can add some colour here, you just need to add some of whatever that is somewhere else in the room. You could do that if you do purchase new artwork to replace the mirror. As well you could add colour in the drapes, the existing ones need to have more fullness to them. The other option is to keep going with greys and off whites for the cushions, lamps etc. Basically you are fine with your main pieces, you just need a little accessorizing!
0 Likes   Thanked by Kristi S.    June 25, 2013 at 9:01AM
Kristi S.
I like these they are 23' square, maybe one over the chair?
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 9:09AM
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 9:26AM
Hi Kristi..the square art you like it nice but I don't think it complements the sophisticated piece of art you have over the sofa. Two totally different styles.
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 9:30AM
Kristi S.
I love the rug, you thing the stripes on it and my zebra can get along? Thank you so very much for all the help!
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 9:32AM
Kristi, what color is your wall? A name/brand will help. I am seeing pink and I am sure it is not pink.
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 9:34AM
Hi Kristi..yes, I think the ottoman and rug can be friends.
0 Likes   Thanked by Kristi S.    June 25, 2013 at 9:40AM
Kristi S.
This is the paint, Tamarind Sherwin Williams
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 9:42AM
bordercolliesrule
You should add some more small items...
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 9:45AM
HappyHouse
the problem is the dimensions. all the things you have in there are beautiful, but look how long/wide the wall is where the sofa is. instead, place the sofa on a different wall and that might help get the brainstorming going.
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 9:49AM
What if you:

move the tryptik to the mirror location

turn the chair at right angle to your sofa and pair it with the new one

buy Darzy's rug (shhhh, do not tell her I said this, but she is always right on)

Put the end tables on either side of the sofa with the lamps and white shades :>)

Purchase two pair more of you window panels and add to what is there to make them look fuller

Buy something like a Chinese window screen for over the sofa

Great pillows.

1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 9:53AM
Kristi S.
would something like this, smaller table, no bust work on the back wall to replace the mirror? Also would lamps like this work on the sides of the couch or on larger coffee table? Please feel free to tell me if I am off track.
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 9:54AM
That is a nice vignette you posted. I like it a lot, but I don't get the right feel if you keep the tryptic. Also that blue in on a wall has a yellow tone. . You can't put the mirror over the sofa because it will just reflect the t v. So will any artwork with glass.

The only thing in your room that has navy is the bench. And your wall color does indeed have a rose undertone. So right now it is gray, your wall color and the dark wood.

Do you really want to pursue the navy?
0 Likes   Thanked by Kristi S.    June 25, 2013 at 10:09AM
Love judyg's suggestions. The tryptic between the windows would be a nice visual when you walk in the front door and will give it "importance" framed by the windows. The Asian screen above the sofa too. Or, in the empty corner behind the chair, an Asian screen standing on the floor with a canned up light sitting on the floor behind. They are $10 at Lowe's or Home Depot. An old "trick" but I still love the glow up in dark corners they provide. Judy's pillows are perfect!

Judyg's wrong about something tho...I really come up with some doozy loser ideas sometimes! lol
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 10:21AM
Darzy, I erased the pillows…they were not hitting me after I took a look at the bench again. Kristi, is it really navy or does it lean more toward turquoise?

Now, after looking at the tryp, maybe a metal grille would go better?

Kristi, I see why you are verklempt!

0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 10:25AM
Judyg...I see what you mean about the pillows. You could be right about that. I erased my coral accents as well. :)
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 10:30AM
Kristi S.
okay so move the tryptic, love it! Then what should go over the sofa on that long wall?
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 10:42AM
I think art hung above the sofa low and long would look interesting. Maybe four prints hung horizontally. Something like this.
]
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 10:53AM
HappyHouse
Why dont you move the tv where the long sofa is. That wall where you have the TV should be your decorative wall. Its a nice wall. You have leave it that color or brush off some accent color. I love the way a navy blue looks with pewter brushed off. Hang the mirror on that wall. Place the long sofa facing the tv. In other words, if you are sitting down, your back is towards mirror. Try to create a small hall-walk way behind the sofa. The loveseat can stay as you have it, except closer to the staircase side. hang the picture where you have the mirror and underneath, you can place the lamp, this way you have light and it causes an illusion as you are walking in the door or down the stairs. You still have both end tables that can go on the sides of the long sofa or both side by side....and I would place the vase you have on top of the shorter end table.
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 11:05AM
patriciarhall
I finally bit the bullet and transformed my traditional entertainment center to be friendlier in my room. You might consider the same because yours does not fit the rest of your furnishings (which are very nice!).
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 11:19AM
izzifly
I'm so happy about HappyHouse's idea because since the beginning that was also my opinion.
But in other blogs I also suggested to change and......opinions. Unfurtunatly many homes and condos when they built they don't think much about stetics. Nowadays they are better but still find a few with the same problem. I also agree with you about the placement of the seatting. The front door faces more the left side of the room so you want to create a walkway from there to the other room, and the most realistic is your suggestion. Have fun and good luck
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 11:22AM
patriciarhall
oops here is the after
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 11:23AM
Gantt's Decorating
I'm back ! I saw your comment about tying the room together with accessories. YOU CAN'T TIE A ROOM TOGETHER WITH ACCESSORIES! If you just painted, you need to admit it's too light and repaint. COLOR is the only way to unify all your unrelated pieces of furniture. I'm Done/!!
1 Like   June 25, 2013 at 1:22PM
elementary
Please hang the curtains as high as possible. These will be too short so buy some panels with color and some sort of design. Also paint the walls a pewter color, fairly light. A very large rug would be nice with the front legs of the sofa just on the edge. Good luck!
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 1:55PM
Kristi, move the end tables next to the sofa. Take the tryptek down for now. Move the chair and pretend you have the other one. How much space is left between the chairs and the front windows?

Would you take another pix with that configuration? Thanks.
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 6:52PM
Kristi S.
Certainly! I just have my iphone for pics so they are not so clear. If it makes any difference the door in the pic is the back door of the house. The entry of the room is closer to the ottoman side of the room. The side tables are different sizes but I could get another small one so they matched. There is about 2 feet between chair and back wall but could be up to 3.5 feet. Thank you so much for helping me!
0 Likes   June 25, 2013 at 7:25PM
Morning, Kristi, just got up and have my coffee with me to clear the cobwebs :>).

It is so hard to judge a space from pictures. Is the sofa directly opposite the t v?

Do you need the fan?
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 8:08AM
1 Like   June 26, 2013 at 8:14AM
taraleigh
The color of the room needs to be changed. I agree a light grey on the walls would look great and it's neutral enough to go with anything...unlike the tan walls you are trying to pair with contemporary furniture. Paint the tv cabinet white for a more modern look. The ceiling fan is also a little traditional looking so change up the lighting and add some recessed as well. As for the rug I would not go with grey. You can add your punches of color with your rug, pillows and curtains(that I would hang higher).
Another idea that might work is to change the way your furniture is arranged. What the back third of your living area(I am assuming the windows look out to the backyard) was used as a study. You could separate the room by putting the sofa going the opposite way and putting a credenza behind it and fill it with pics in frames. Maybe a little desk, bookshelf and reading chair? What do u think?
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 8:15AM

I found a picture that is not exactly your colors, but close enough to get my idea across.

Your walls are definitely a rouge undertone. I think you have to make that work because you do not want to repaint at this time.

Bring the color of the wall down onto your sofa.

The color of your sofa and chairs down onto the floor with a rug.

Lower the tryptik a bit. Two lamps on each end table.
Move the bench between the two windows. Lower the mirror a bit.

Get a new coffee table.
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 8:36AM
Kristi S.
I love it! I also love the birch wall hanging. So would I put the bench between the chairs on that wall with the windows, or behind the chairs? Thank you so very much!
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 8:42AM
Great, Kristi, I think this will make the whole thing work for now.

No, bring the two chairs up by the sofa, side by side, looking at the door to the entry to the room. Make an L shape.

Put the bench under the mirror.
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 9:58AM
I would like to add: contemporary is an adjective and the synonym is "current" or of a time period.

Leather is certainly current, but that does not relegate it to a particular design. If that were true, all those beautiful leather Chesterfield sofas in classic homes, would be a blunder.
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 10:16AM
Speaking only for myself, I do not think that schizophrenic is an appropriate word to use to describe the decor of a person's home.

It is a long-term mental disorder, a horrible affliction which affects both the victim and the family.

I know that no deliberate insult was insinuated. I just reacted to that term with a jolt.

Maybe "eclectic"?
3 Likes   Thanked by Kristi S.    June 26, 2013 at 10:35AM
mpoulsom
yes, it's eclectic! I like eclectic personally. You can make it work with some great help here on houzz!
1 Like   June 26, 2013 at 11:06AM
Jayme H.
Thank you for saying that Judyg. Having a mentally ill family member or friend is very painful and difficult, and it is hurtful to see that term used flippantly. Although, I do assume the poster did not intend it that way, and likely has no experience or insight into this issue.
1 Like   June 26, 2013 at 11:11AM
Kristi S.
And I repeated what was said, that was not smart of me, so sorry. Judy, I just ordered those uttermost lamps! I'm going to have to save up before I put my next room up for advice :) thanks bunches folks!
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 8:39PM
Julie Abshire
Your wood floors are gorgeous!! Do you know the manufacturer and color? Real wood or laminate?
It is exactly what I want to put in the sitting room that is being built off of my master bedroom...
0 Likes   June 26, 2013 at 9:34PM
Paint is the cheap solution - walls and entertainment unit - you'll see a big change!
1 Like   June 27, 2013 at 5:40AM
Kristi S.
Julie, the box says Bellawood Brazilian KOA, it is hardwood. We didn't put it in but we really like it.
1 Like   June 27, 2013 at 6:07AM
Kristi S.
Ok one last question. I have ordered lamps and a dark gray rug, paint color is up in the air (just trying to figure out the best time to break it to hubs), so for now, with this color do I stick with curtains the color of the wall, or do as some suggested and bring in color with curtains, go white? I will be raising the curtain rod also as some suggested. Thank you much folks, happy Friday!
0 Likes   June 28, 2013 at 7:48AM
Lot 26 Studio, Inc.
I love the idea of adding canvas wall art in similar color schemes to tie everything together. Here are some ideas. Good luck! http://www.lot26.com/s/Canvas-Wall-Hangings
0 Likes   June 28, 2013 at 8:23AM
treeclimber5
Wall color is way too orange. The orange undertones are making your cool furniture look green. Cool things down with a cooler paint color and your furniture will instantly look better. A muted green, blue, or white will allow your colors to flow and will calm down the pinky-orange and greenish clashing.
0 Likes   July 12, 2014 at 3:35PM
treeclimber5
maria killam is a wonderful source for learning how colors work best.
0 Likes   July 12, 2014 at 3:36PM
Dramatic Dining Debacle
We justices on Saturday. (Please disregard the mess...
Need help with matching a couch and what colours would go???
Hi there I really need help on matching my furniture...
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
My living room needs some help with this fireplace
Help! My hubby loves this fireplace - but its quite...
Urgent, help with countertop decision!
Long story short. I was only told yesterday that the...