Mismatched furniture? Help!

swang5512June 25, 2013
Hi all,

Please help me with our new bedroom design. We are moving and are debating whether we should sell or keep our furniture. Ideally we would keep, but I am ok with selling if this really doesn't work.

We have a large solid wood dresser in our bedroom that we got a few years back that we adore. It looks *sort of* like the one attached, but with a dark espresso wood and a white/cool grey marble top. Our king bed is a dark espresso leather sleigh bed, similar to the attached, and our exact new bedding is attached.

The problem I have now is that we really need a dresser w/mirror for our bedroom, and I can't seem to find anything that works given our current furniture. The dressers I have seen that are similarly ornate looking are either in a different shade of wood or really obviously not the same design (even with the same kind of ornate scrolls). I also don't think anything super modern would work either, but you tell me. The scheme for the new bedroom is espresso with cream bedding and cool greige walls (though the wall color is also not firm).

Help! What kind of dresser do you think would work here? Should I just scrap my beloved chest and buy a new matching set?
jabber629
Keep looking! One of the biggest mistakes you can make is purchasing a matching set! Have you checked out online retailers like Ballard designs or gone to stores like Arhaus and stickley? I'm sure they'll have something you like, or lest comes to worst, I think a crime colored piece would work well too.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by swang5512    June 25, 2013 at 10:18AM
Oellien Design, Inc.
Matching furniture is for people who can't make decisions. So, let the piece be the focal point to the room and let the other pieces around it something different. Mirrored nightstands or painted finishes. I agree that Ballard is a great source for funishings that mix well together.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by swang5512    June 25, 2013 at 10:45AM
Sandy G. ltd.
-- I agree with both posts above. . . If you cannot match the mirror exatly, go the opposite direction and find a mirror you like that doesn't match at all - except for loosely in style. Painted, antiqued brass framed mirrors would be a good bet.
    Bookmark   Thanked by swang5512    June 25, 2013 at 11:12AM
HI -- Matching sets are no longer done . But if you want to keep your beloved furniture , you could have the dresser custom made if you can't find some thing similar. But maybe it's time to use that furniture else where and get something new . Check out along with Ballard , there is also Horchow.com and ELTE.ca .- ABC.com . Look in some high end design magazines like Veranda -- Florida Design - and so on in their ads for furniture . Maybe do a search for Italian style furniture . But I think maybe an interior designer could help you track down something to bring your furniture and your room together.
    Bookmark   Thanked by swang5512    June 25, 2013 at 11:13AM
bubblyjock
Nooo - keep your beloved dresser, because you will forever regret selling it! And......don't forget to search Craigslist, or Kijiji if you're in Canada. It's AMAZING what people are "getting rid of" at this time of year, when half the world is moving house. I just lucked out on an early Quebec pine armoir - for less than one TENTH of the price at most antique shops.
    Bookmark   Thanked by swang5512    June 25, 2013 at 12:05PM
decoratinglady5
I wish I had that piece of furniture!!!...I would KEEP it,but its up to you.
    Bookmark   Thanked by swang5512    June 25, 2013 at 12:14PM
pbrown58
Beautiful piece! repurposed it! Paint it and replace the hardware
    Bookmark   Thanked by swang5512    June 25, 2013 at 12:32PM
swang5512
Thanks everyone! A followup -- do you think something like this would work with the scheme? I think it might given my espresso/cream theme (with some hints of green in the room using plants or art). Thanks!
5 Likes    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 12:48PM
studio10001
A google search for 'Duberry dresser with mirror' will show retail options for your style. Your local antiques mall/ auction house would have a variety of marble topped options in complimentary styles, for greater visual interest. You might also look for more simple dressers and attach a marble slab to draw the connection, with the advantage of being able to choose your own mirror.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 12:59PM
pbrown58
Love it!
    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 1:00PM
studio10001
If you like this,I would suggest a marble top to balance it against the weight of your other choices.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 1:04PM
minimumjoe
Yes, to no matching here. The change of pace will create interest ... I like your cream selection. Another thought would be to get to a consignment store or an antique place ... but plan to refinish with something that is different from the other.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 1:14PM
Help me mismatch dining chairs!
We are getting a custom made dining table that will...
aliya6982
Open Living Space Guidance: A Mismatched Dining Room
I'm making good progress on the living room and breakfast...
tech8486
Mismatched kitchen
My husband and I recently purchased a new home. It...
mallorybee
Mismatched - Odd Shaped Living Room Windows
Help! Cannot figure out what would work best with these...
zoenanai
Should we paint original woodwork in Victorian home?
We own and rent out my childhood home. It's a Victorian...
ziggi10
What is wrong with this picture?
I love this wallpaper. Is the size of the mirror wrong?...
lyndao
Long narrow kitchen layout
I was hoping to get some ideas as to how to layout...
lisakro
Need design advice for living room with build-in tv cabinet. Help!
Moving from modern apartment to this old style unit...
dominiqueu
Taking out a column
We have a column at the end of our bar in our kitchen/dining...
Jennifer Fultz