Need help with my Living Room
Southern Belle
I have been in my house for almost a year now and haven't decorated hardly anything....:( My walls are Sherwin Williams "Favorite Tan" which will stay... but I need help on everything else. I bought curtains about 6 months ago for the living room which are red. I haven't put them up because I can't seem to find a curtain rod I like. I know it's sad but I have brushed nickel fixtures and just don't know where to start! My living and dining room and kitchen are kind of open separate only by one 8 foot wall. HELP!! Any ideas are appreciated.
Southern Belle
I did buy end tables from Ashley Furniture in the Shelton collection.
June 25, 2013 at 11:34AM   
HappyHouse
Why dont you move the TV (if possible hang) on the wall where that doorway is. Place the longest sofa on the longest wall. You dont necessarily need to push the sofa all the way back to the wall where you have those 2 windows. Windows are not meant to be blocked. Push the sofa further in, to create a more cozy feeling.
June 25, 2013 at 11:42AM      Thanked by Southern Belle
Rica C
The layout looks fine especially with the akward angled wall. Wall art, a nice plush rug, tables, and lower level lighting would improve the ambience. Also consider pillows and throws that coordinate (not match) your red curtains. From the photo the plant seems to be in a weird spot try relocating it to the wall with the opening leading to the hall. Is the fireplace mobile? If so I would consider buying a lowboy or redoing a dresser to use as a media center. It would function better at eye level.
June 25, 2013 at 12:06PM      Thanked by Southern Belle
Nancy Hehmann
My husband makes frequent trips to Lowes so I just happen to know they have really nice curtain rods! JCPenney.com does too.

I think I would start with photography or other art work. Find something you love. Etsy.com is a great site to browse and has a ton of shops. Just input what you like in their search engine. And you can "chat " with the shop owner. What you purchase will be unique- unlike what you will find in big box stores which are frequently drab too. I have a photography shop on there, Etsy.com, nancyhehmann. Or you can click on the green name in the upper left corner and view samples of what I have on HOUZZ. Photography is very realistic. I can customize and if you would prefer it printed in black and white or Sepia, I can easily have that done. Photography can also be printed on canvas and you do not require a frame. You can either have one large piece or several smaller photographs in similar colored frames ( a collage)

Once you have your wall art or photography, you can choose one of the colors in it to use for accent colors in an area rug or pillows or vases. You will want to repeat one color more than one time for a wow factor.

You are right to do a little at a time. Then you will have a space you truly love.
June 25, 2013 at 12:23PM      Thanked by Southern Belle
www.terricumming.com
How about moving the TV to the wall between the two windows? That way you could see the TV while in the kitchen and it would get the TV away from the angled wall. You can position the one sofa along the long wall and the other facing the windows and TV. Then add a rug to connect everything that incorporates the red of the drapes & some accent cushions. As far as your drape panels just have them stack to one side of the window (right window right side etc). For accessorizing Get a large piece of art to hang over the sofa that is along the long wall, a large square coffee table or ottoman, an end table & lamp. It would also be great to add a sofa table behind the sofa facing the TV to give the back a finished look!
Southern Belle
Thanks so much for the ideas..... Rica C, That is a media center/fireplace we purchased from Sam's... We put that there only because the angled wall side is not large enough for the sofa.
June 25, 2013 at 2:24PM     
Cordless table lamp
Can anyone recommend a quality manufacturer for cordless...
Please help with furniture layout - 12.4x22 living room
I have no clue where to even start with designing a...
patterned rug vs. plain
I am slowly getting my house back together after having...
Need help finding a rug for the entry
Hi Houzzers! I am having trouble finding a perfect...
What color to paint the bedroom walls.
The plan for my daughters room is installing wainscoting...