Which rug for the family room?
nina517
The light colored sample is the couch, the medium sample is the ottoman, and the leather is 2 reclining chairs. Which of the rugs goes best? Also, a 4th option is here: https://www.jossandmain.com/Harborside-Home-Aruba-Rug-in-Ivory~JPU5415~E5451.html
nina517
maybe this image will show up for the other rug....I understand you have to register to see the link:
June 25, 2013 at 2:58pm   
nina517
The colors are turquoise to aqua, lighter as you go from the center of each swirly thingy. :)
June 25, 2013 at 2:59pm   
I prefer the second one in your first posting. White and beige pattern on blue.
June 25, 2013 at 3:02pm      Thanked by nina517
Casey Tomlinson
try ivory rug to somehow complement or maybe try neutral black for the rug it works always.
June 25, 2013 at 3:03pm      Thanked by nina517
nina517
@Casey - do you see the images above of the ivory carpet with the blue-toned swirls?
June 25, 2013 at 4:30pm   
nina517
Anyone else? :)
June 26, 2013 at 6:00am   
I like the second rug the best, but any of them would work with the neutrals you have.
June 26, 2013 at 6:05am   
Honestly? I adore your fabric choices, but am not in love with any of the rugs. They all go with the fabrics, but aren't as special. What kind and color of floors are in the room, beneath the area rug?
June 26, 2013 at 6:06am   
Tammy Winklepleck
I'd select the Ikat styled rug if it were my choice.
June 26, 2013 at 6:06am   
I did not see an ikat style rug. Which one are you referring to, Tammy?
June 26, 2013 at 6:08am     
0825sam
I like the second one but depending on how old your kids are (if you have them) something like the first one with all that texture might be more forgiving in terms of hiding dirt.
June 26, 2013 at 6:08am   
If there were an ikat style rug, I would probably prefer it.

June 26, 2013 at 6:09am     
Nevin Nelson Design Inc.
I like the second blue rug with border as it gives some Pizzazz to the room. You might be giving yourself a maintenance nightmare with the first rug with the big loops. If food got caught in there or heaven forbid you spilled red wine on it, it may be very difficult to clean. The third rug is too weak to make a statement. Obviously, you would need to use the same color of blue elsewhere -- in a beautiful vase, draperies, etc.
June 26, 2013 at 6:11am      Thanked by nina517
nina517
Hardwood (oak) floors in a fairly dark (walnut) stain. Trim in the room is a ivory.
June 26, 2013 at 6:13am   
Tammy Winklepleck
Whoops, it was the second rug...looked at thumbnail picture and thought it was Ikat...
June 26, 2013 at 6:13am   
Yes, feeny, I too love that ikat rug!
June 26, 2013 at 6:17am     
nina517
I love the Ikat rug but I'm going more for a serene, ocean inspired colors with the rug and accessories. I thought it might be possible with all the neutrals. Thoughts?
June 26, 2013 at 6:25am   
I'd like to see more of the second rug. It looks like it might give you the serenity you want, but if you need practicality and beauty, the ikat would be a winner. However, I don't know its price point. It looks expensive.
June 26, 2013 at 6:46am     
Just in case you are interested, here are some ikats in much lighter (ivory and aqua) hues. I just like the original designs on the ikats better:
http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/171480/Safavieh/Ikat/IKT-631/Ivory/SeaBlue(A)?
http://www.rugmarthouston.com/ik108b.html
http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/171482/Safavieh/Ikat/IKT-635/Ivory/Blue(A)?
June 26, 2013 at 7:00am   
nina517
It's the one called "tile rug" in porcelain blue
June 26, 2013 at 7:17am   
I like the "tile rug" much better in the overview than in the small detail you originally included! Of the four you've been considering that one definitely gets my vote.
June 26, 2013 at 7:21am     
nina517
What about between the tile rug and the first of DVD three Ikat rugs? I do love that one too!
June 26, 2013 at 7:32am   
nina517
"The" not DVD...sorry!
June 26, 2013 at 7:38am   
Sorry, I just want to make sure I'm understanding which one you are referring to (not sure what DVD refers to in your comment). Do you mean this one? http://www.rugs-direct.com/ShopDetail/Details/171480/Safavieh/Ikat/IKT-631/Ivory/SeaBlue
June 26, 2013 at 7:40am     
nina517
Yes! Sorry. Stupid smartphone.
June 26, 2013 at 7:42am   
Okay, got it. I think both are beautiful and both will produce the effect you want. I'll be curious what others feel as I am a bit biased toward the originality and artistry of ikat and tribal designs. So personally I prefer the ikat, which looks a bit less formal and more artistic to me. And I also like the aqua shades in it just a bit more than the pale baby blues in the tile rug (though computer screens can be deceiving). But these are very minor questions of personal preference.
June 26, 2013 at 7:42am     
I should add that the most important thing is to try out rugs in your home, against your floors and walls and in the light of your room. Both Pottery Barn and Rugs Direct have free return policies, if I'm remembering correctly. I usually bring home quite a few rugs to try them out before making a decision, as they have such different effects in the actual room. Some rugs I've loved in the store have looked positively lurid in my room when I get them home!
June 26, 2013 at 7:46am     
nina517
Good suggestion. I'm interested in other weighing in on the narrowed down choices?
June 26, 2013 at 8:46am   
Please clarify what the latest choices are.
June 26, 2013 at 10:24am     
nina517
The 8x10 of the beautiful blue/orange ikat above is about $1,000. Gorgeous!
June 26, 2013 at 10:25am   
nina517
Any final words? ;)
June 26, 2013 at 1:59pm   
The blue and orange ikat would be my choice!
June 26, 2013 at 2:21pm      Thanked by nina517
If you want a calming space use the second one. If you want a more exciting vibe then use the IKAT.
June 27, 2013 at 5:56am      Thanked by nina517
Need Ideas for Dining Room
Looking for ideas to finish off my dining room. We...
Kitchen colors, help!!!
Okay, given the photo of my kitchen, my wall color...
lack luster living room with fantastic view.
I'm at a loss as to how to jazz up my living room using...
Which wood floor should I choose?
We are painting our den paneling Bleeker Beige by Ben...
Need help with best place to hang mirror
I love this mirror so I want it to stand out and add...