Too much for me! Accent color?
Kristen
Black and white overload! What to do?
alderway
I think the floor is what makes it seem like too much. If you can afford it I would replace the floor with something warmer and more rustic, maybe with the same tones as the yellow wall. I would then add colorful accents to the counter tops.
June 25, 2013 at 9:41pm     
Sandy G. ltd.
-- All of the surfaces in your galley are shiny, slick and hard. How about a hard wood floor to add texture and warmth. If you ran the boards horizontally, the floor area would seem wider. Also, do not stain the floor - leave it natural [light] with the poly to protect them.

Choose a different color for the end wall - and consider installing a hardwood counter top.
June 25, 2013 at 10:00pm     
pennyupson
I love the floor, but I would say that a bright strong colour on the wall would be great. I think a granny smith apple green would be stunning.
June 25, 2013 at 10:25pm     
taraleigh
I personally think the yellow is nice. It's bright without being in your face. Yes I agree the floor is really what should be changed. The cabinets should be the focal point and right now the floor and cabinets are working against each other. There might b a tad much black all in a row at the same time. Maybe break up the space with stainless steel appliances. If u don't want to replace the appliances cover them up with some stainless sheets. I saw a website the other day and I think it was called magnet king. Call them and ask them to send you samples of the magnet sheets they carry.
June 27, 2013 at 7:50am   
0825sam
I agree I think you need to get a light neutral floor in there and if you can eventually stainless appliances to break up the black. Some more substantial hardware could help in breaking it up as well. I'd probably paint the wall a neutral and start introducing some more decorative elements to make it less stark. Maybe a chandelier over the breakfast table or if it works with your style and you want to play up the kitchen being formal, wallpaper the back wall.
Vallejo Street Highrise
apartamento residencial l vila olimpia
June 27, 2013 at 7:57am     
David Kaas
I am a kitchen designer or 35 years experience.1st to do( GUT )and start with clean pallet 2nd switch out door and drawer front to a contemporary contrast
June 27, 2013 at 8:13am     
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Kristen -- Since I notice you're a renter, I'd bring the yellow wall and grey counter tones onto the floor to soften the checkerboard. Then you have something you can take with you.
June 27, 2013 at 8:23am   
0825sam
Oops didn't realize this was a rental! Most of these suggestions are not going to fly then.
June 27, 2013 at 8:27am   
taraleigh
Didn't know this was a rental either!
June 27, 2013 at 8:30am   
taraleigh
Didn't realize this was a rental
June 27, 2013 at 8:30am   
Barnhart, how did discover that Kristin is a renter?

I do not see where she told us that. Too bad, as so many took time posting ideas for a homeowner.
June 27, 2013 at 8:36am   
Barnhart Gallery
I went to this poster's ideabook for any cues as to her style, and noticed it on her profile page.
June 27, 2013 at 8:39am     
I'm beginning to do that first too, Barnhart. Amazing how many times you'll find the same dilemma has been posted too. Meanwhile, add a colorful runner rug down the middle to cover some of the floor!
June 27, 2013 at 8:42am   
Sandy G. ltd.
Renting? I didn't realize that either. . . Thanks for pointing that out, Barnhart! Will check profiles first from now on. . .

I'm afraid that the best solution - which you must have thought of already, is to lay down a wide runner!
June 27, 2013 at 8:45am   
Judy M
Can the backsplash be changed?
June 27, 2013 at 8:49am   
Kristen
I'm sorry - I didn't know that renters weren't allowed to post questions. If it must be aired to the public - we are leasing to buy and this will be our house eventually. We have been authorized to do any remodeling we want to do. I didn't realize I had broken so many rules here. Sorry for wasting your time.
June 27, 2013 at 8:49am   
Barnhart Gallery
Oh dear, not a problem at all Kristen! It's just that we'd give different advice to a renter than a homeowner.
June 27, 2013 at 8:51am     
Kristen
Some peoples replies came off rather snootishly, if I may make up a word! ;-) I'm just needing help on figuring out my options - I guess I could have publicized those facts of my life, I didn't realize it would make a difference. However, I do understand that some renters cant touch the ugly paint on the walls. Thankfully, that is not my situation.
June 27, 2013 at 8:53am   
Sandy G. ltd.
Oh, my! You did nothing wrong, Kristen since you mentioned it in your profile.. The thing is, renters are usually not given permission to make the kinds of changes that were recommended in your thread. That's all.

So glad that you cleared up this issue. I know that privacy and not exposing too much in the internet is a big deal, but in this case, I'm sorry to say, the more information you provide about things like this, the better.

I love to offer up my opinions but if I head off in the wrong direction through lack of information, time is wasted for everyone. Usually, responders will ask for more info if they feel the need. One more thing -- I hope I don't seem snooty - that would make me sad!
June 27, 2013 at 8:56am     
Judy M
A renter is generally not allowed to make significant changes to the space, so people don't want to make suggestions about appliances and hardware and floors, if they can't be changed.

Many suggestions were given thinking that you owned and had control, so now that we know you can change things, hopefully some of the ideas will work for you.
June 27, 2013 at 8:59am     
Kristen
I can't deny I felt judged and looked down upon from a couple of posts. My apologies for coming off as super sensitive and defensive. I understand these details are important!
June 27, 2013 at 9:05am     
loubelou
I learn something new on here everyday. Does it really matter if it is a rental? Are you going to keep the floor? If so, think of what could give you that pop of color such as green, red or yellow. I would use accents of red and green.
June 27, 2013 at 9:06am     
decoratinglady5
Even if it is a rental..it is where you live.I am a firm believer in making wherever we live ,ours..btw..you have a nice home.
June 27, 2013 at 9:23am   
K - critizing appearances always feels a little superficial, eh? Tricky business here to give advice - thank you for inviting us into your home. Everyone here truly hopes to assist you and learn more from each other too. Here's hoping a beautiful space will make the cook's food taste better.

So, here are my four: 1. search tuxedo kitchens on houzz for future ideas 2. wood vinyl plank floor (easy, inexpensive, even diy) in blond tones - the better ones you have to touch to know they aren't wood 3. IKEA butcherblock countertop / change to an undermount sink / new faucet w/ sprayer - function!! 4.increase your lighting all along the space with full spectrum bulbs.
June 27, 2013 at 9:24am     
Granite Transformations
Floor and backsplash.

You can go to Lumber Liquidators and get a vinyl wood flooring to install for a really affordable price. I think something an oak old world plank would really work well.

The backsplash is dark, you need something to break up the cabinetry and counters. I'd recommend a subway tile. I think our Diamond glass subway tiles would really help brighten up the space. You can see them here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/subway/

These two updates are pretty reasonable from a price point. I think they'll do wonders for your kitchen.

Hope this helps!
June 27, 2013 at 9:29am     
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Lighting - Use track lighting the length of the galley. This gentle sinuous design softens the look of the angles throughout the space. Be careful not to get too wild up here tho. You want good light - not a distraction to the rest of your design. These come in many configurations - loops, squares, ovals, circles, to namd a few.

Then, add a downward shining pendant over the sink for task lighting. Make this pendant noteworthy - either in black or in a color or colors. Of course, any pendant should work well with the rest of your palette - might even set it up or be your inspiration for the end wall.
June 27, 2013 at 11:36am   
taraleigh
No Kristen no judgement at all! It's just we would maybe have given diff advice knowing that usually renters can't touch much of the big stuff but since you are lease to own it doesn't matter much so all good. No offense!
June 27, 2013 at 12:34pm   
rower27
I dunno, I like the floor! and if it is good ceramic, why rip it out? gutting a kitchen is expensive! if your cabinets are good quality you can get, say the uppers, lacquered a lighter colour, or, even white. The black appliances are perhaps what pushes it over the top...maybe you could put in ie stainless applicances at some point, and I do like the wood counter idea with the yellow or cream walls, and a lighter backsplash, if possible....sleep on it!
June 27, 2013 at 12:54pm     
Sandy G. ltd.
Your black kitchen is stunning and, with a few changes that will make it work better for your aesthetic, you do not have to gut it and spend all of that money! Often people are not comfortable with a look that is outside of their experience/comfort zone. Everything in there looks like it is in great condition and it would be terrible to rip it all out.

You posted that the floor and the end wall is what is challenging to you, - that's about all - and these are easy fixes that won't cost an arm and a leg. Moving into a new home can nickel-dime you into poverty, so make some smart choices now - use the saved cash for other projects that are just bound to crop up. And, you can always renovate the kitchen.
June 27, 2013 at 1:56pm   
TileDaily
I like Genevieve's and audhalls ideas to have fun with it and keep the checkered floors. Adding brighter elements on top of that floor, like repainting cabinetry, changing the backsplash, etc., will help lift the overall atmosphere in your kitchen. If the floors are not your thing then, consider changing them to porcelain wood, or other varieties of porcelain tiles. We do carry a variety of porcelain wood tiles that are a great alternative to natural wood.
June 27, 2013 at 2:59pm   
Barnhart Gallery
Hi Kristen -- I thought I should come back and change my recommendation since this is your new, now, and future home -- congrats! Since you're able to change flooring and paint color, I picked up on the grey-green tone in your cabinets' glass doors and spread that around a bit. Flooring is a complementary wood tone.
June 27, 2013 at 4:03pm     
Adelaide Rowe
I think you have a pretty good looking kitchen. I love the floor. If it is good quality, I would keep it. I agree with the person who said apple green paint. A reddish color might work as well.
June 30, 2013 at 11:04pm   
Adelaide Rowe
I personally like a dark aqua with black two. Also, changing out the appliances was not a bad idea too.
June 30, 2013 at 11:06pm   
Adelaide Rowe
omg I meant too - is way late
June 30, 2013 at 11:07pm   
Maison Pompeii Antiques and Interiors
I think your kitchen is nice and expensive looking. The monochromatic cabinets and appliances make it look larger and very sophisticated. I do agree that you need to add some color. What about using the stainless panels mentioned earlier as the backsplash? Black goes with any color so chose one that you like and go with it. Cant tell if floor is ceramic or vinyl. If the latter change it out for a solid color tile to continue the sleek look already there. If the former then a colorful rug will do the trick and then add that color to your decorative items on the counter. I do like the contrast of teh lighter wood floor but not sure if that is the look you are trying to achieve. It appears to be a shame to change out appliances or cabinets or Granbite counter top. Also remember that the back wall is an opportunity for something really interesting.
June 30, 2013 at 11:29pm   
Hobo Jane
Sandy-what is the source for those amazing pendant lights?
June 30, 2013 at 11:46pm   
Sandy G. ltd.
-- Hey - Hobo Jane! Thanks for asking about the pendants. The colorful ones above, pictured on the lower left? They are here >

interior-outdoor-lighting.blogspot.com
July 1, 2013 at 5:07am   
Dennis Hartford
Dude, you have got an awesome kitchen. Continue the theme. Go online and purchase some used ex-race car body parts, like doors, deck lids, fenders, etc. My friend has a hood suspended from the dining room ceiling with indirect lighting and pot lights....super awesome. You already know what these design "pros" think of you, take my advice, go wild! When you get older, you you can paint something with some boring color like "sunrise yellow"! BTW...I am not a designer. I am an airplane guy, and I am working on converting a couple of surplus USAF fighter aircraft ejection seats into recliners.....very cool!
July 1, 2013 at 8:55am   
Too much or too little as an accent colour
Should I go solid or patterned with these cushions?...
Worried about too much gray. Help me choose a kitchen color!
Thanks to some wonderful suggestions to houzzers, I've...
Orange red accent wall- "to" or "too much"
I love bright bold colors but now that I'm ready to...
"To" or "too much" use orange red accent wall bedroom
Would an accent wall be too much? If not, what wall paper?
This is the design of my room and I've decided to go...
Entryway help needed
I have tried adding chairs on either side of table...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
If you were to change the look of your home...
....which style would you go for? Would you go from...
Need help with re-finishing kitchen cupboards
I have oak cupboards and I'm so sick of oak. The cupboards...
Finishing Touches on Dining Room
I have my table and buffet for dining room. I am looking...