Experience with LED bulbs?
maximista
I have seen LED bulbs that can be used in place of regular incandescent bulbs - just screwed into the socket - anybody has experience with that and if yes, could you recommend a good LED bulb?
roosterdavis
I work at the Merchandise Mart in Chicago and they just underwent a massive LED lamp exchange. I will say the lamps I was most impressed with were Acculamps. They make them in PAR 20, 30, 38 and MR-16. Pay attention to the color you are buying and the beam spread. The PAR lamps are available in 45 degree and 25 degree floods. Choose the right one for what you want to do. General lighting? Use the 45. Highlight? 25. I'd recommend the 2700K lamp because it feels a lot like halogen and will be familiar to you. If you're wondering how many of these I've installed it's close to 600.

The only other thing I'd caution is the use of dimmers. Lutron makes an LED dimmer (the CL line if I remember correctly). Be advised that as an incandescent dimmer the load can be 600 watts. With LED, it's 150. If you get close to 150 or exceed it, the lamps will flicker. Just mind how many you've got on the dimmer. And yes, the lamps come in dimmable and non dim.

One lamp I will tell people to avoid like the plague is the Phillips MR-16. It's the brightest one, but my God, the failures I've had. If you're wondering how many of these I've installed it's close to 600.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 8:38PM
maximista
@roosterdavis - I am not sure we are talking about the same thing - I mean LED bulbs that can replace incandescent bulbs - see picture. There are now many available. I wonder if anybody has any experience with them.
    Bookmark   June 25, 2013 at 9:32PM
What should I add?
What color should the sofas be? Red? Cream/ivory? The...
lguzmanmd
Help finish decorating my living room!
We recently finished a major remodeling, enlarging...
cjhp22
Could I create a very eclectic room?
I have a stupid country room and am wondering if I...
Ann
Updating rustic family room
Hi! I'm looking to update our rustic-type family room,...
Kelly
Center island range w wood countertop?
Does anyone have any experience with Wood countertops...
jennlettswatson