Need help...Roman Blinds Dilemma...
cgyn53
I have just moved in and these roman blinds were recently made and installed. I do not know what to do and neither is the one who made it. I am very frustrated. Can someone know what is the problem? it does not sit well when opened as shown in the pictures.
Brenda
can you show a photo of them pulled up?

they look a bit DIY -- did a professional make them?
June 26, 2013 at 5:50AM      Thanked by cgyn53
A Crew of Two
I think the wrong fabric was used- it is too light weight on it's own to be used for this purpose. Were they lined at all? Most Roman shades need a heavier fabric so they lay properly when down and fold up nicely when open. Have you tried steaming the fabric?
June 26, 2013 at 5:54AM      Thanked by cgyn53
cgyn53
Thanks, sorry there was problem with the Internet connection when I tried posting the pictures. here's one that's pulled up.
June 26, 2013 at 6:37AM   
A Crew of Two
Yeah, I think the issue is the type of fabric used. It is just not stiff enough to do the job.
June 26, 2013 at 6:44AM      Thanked by cgyn53
Sandy G. ltd.
-- This might be due to a couple of things . . . wrong fabric choice for either the top fabric or the lining fabric or both. If there is a big difference in stiffness between the top layer and the lining layer, the stiffest layer will dictate where the folds end up on the lighter weight layer.

The top layer might also have a fabrication that will never take a sharp crease and will never behave, and will always billow out - as in many 100% polyesters. A clue is in the softness of the seams in the valance - it looks like the top fabric does not have that crisp edge that comes from a good press.

Sometimes, if you take them to a cleaner and have them professionally pressed, it helps. Natural fibers, like cotton, linen and silk always work well for roman shades because of their ability to take a good press.

Or, they might just need to be "trained" to hang correctly. For the training, using a soft hand, arrange the folds into their proper positions and then steam them. Leave them drawn up until dry, and hand pressing often, and then steam again.

Bottom line, pretty sure it was the wrong fabric content.
June 26, 2013 at 7:01AM        Thanked by cgyn53
cgyn53
Thank you, I guess it is the wrong fabric, I will try to do steaming of one fabric, I hope it will work.
June 27, 2013 at 12:09AM   
A Crew of Two
Crossing our fingers x
June 27, 2013 at 2:35AM   
JMittman Designs
I see you have two dilemmas on this same issue. I responded on the other one. Seeing this picture with the shade in the down position, what is the horizontal distance between the rows of rings? For this size shade, it should not be more than 8 inches, and probably only 6 given your fabric choice, which is why your folds are not drawing up nicely. As I mentioned in the other dilemma, there are some fabrics that take more training to raise properly, and there are different fabrication techniques used to help this. Since I don't know what your contract was with your window treatment person, I can't tell you if you paid for those added techniques or not.

My professional opinion? These shades were not professionally fabricated. I can see several details that were left out that would have made for a much more professional looking shade. I would talk to your fabricator about the shades not functioning properly.
June 27, 2013 at 5:31AM     
cgyn53
Hi jMittman Designs. I can't see any rings at the back of the fabric. You're right it is not professionally made. The sample she made were much nicer. I think I have been tricked. She just told the its the best that she can do. I might have get rid of these, it cost me a fortune thus the dilemma. I am now contemplating of redoing everything and maybe just have drapes?.. And find someone else definitely.
June 29, 2013 at 4:28PM   
cgyn53
If I have the drapes done, do I need a valance or a pelmet?. Can anyone give suggestions and some pictures. I can't afford to make another mistake this time.thank you everyone for helping.
June 29, 2013 at 4:30PM   
yoboseiyo
really, it just looks like the one didn't train well.
when you raise it, pull out the folds so that it looks as it should.
open them and do this every day, and leave them open most of the day.
after a couple months, the fabric will learn how it's supposed to fold, and will do so without being "fixed".
steaming them definitely helps with training.
but i agree, it does look like there aren't enough rings on the back to pull the fabric evenly.

with drapes, you don't /need/ a valance or pelmet. you can have one if you like, but it's not necessary.

a pelmet is generally made of wood and either stained/painted or upholstered.
pelmets generally go the full height of a window, and lots of people confuse them with cornices.
a cornice is shorter, usually only the top 1/3 of the window or less, but it's also made of wood and upholstered or stained/painted.

a fabric topper is call a valance, and it's a much softer look, you can have one attached to a board so that it screws into the wall with L brackets, or they can be made with a pocket, to go onto a drapery rod.

valances are generally a little cheaper, depending on the fabric used, and if you only want a simple straight line, you can use premade curtain panels or even table runners to make them (just cut to length + width of board and staple on. attach to the wall with L brackets).
June 29, 2013 at 5:18PM   
JMittman Designs
I am sorry you are disappointed with your roman shades. Clearly, your shades are not functioning properly. I don't know what arrangement you had with your fabricator--I don't know who chose the fabric, who approved it etc, but if they cost you a fortune, they should function. If this happened to a shade I made for someone, I would want to fix it What was different about the sample?
I would ask her to put the rows of rings, or whatever technique she used to make the rows that draw up into the folds, closer together. If that doesn't help, and again, depending on your arrangement, I would be tempted to ask for some kind of refund. To be completely truthful, if she can't make these shades work, she should not be making roman shades.
June 30, 2013 at 5:13AM   
Sandy G. ltd.
-- This fabric is on the dressy side and I am wondering what the rest of the room looks like. In order to help you decide on a different window treatment, more information would be great. Is your style traditional, contemporary, clean and simple, etc.?
June 30, 2013 at 9:43AM   
Blinds Direct Canada
These were not made properly there should be bars to hold the fabric in place I will attach a picture below to show you how it should have been done.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
July 1, 2013 at 11:16AM   
Yes, stiffening "bars" put at the bottom of each fold is one way to help train them - you ought to ask your seamstress to add those - you can make great romans out of any fabric when you use that method. These are stays just like collar stays in a man's shirt - lightweight / plastic stiffeners sewn into the bottom of each crease in a "pocket" made with the lining. Insist she try that before giving up and going in a different direction.
July 1, 2013 at 12:20PM   
JMittman Designs
Honestly, I am not sure this fabricator has the skills to add ribs to these shades and make them look good. :(
July 2, 2013 at 6:20AM   
Blinds Direct Canada
I dont want to sound rude but I would ask for a refund or have the manufactuer fix them . Its not somthing you change often it should be make correctly so it will last you a long time.
July 2, 2013 at 2:16PM   
Need help with Relaxed Roman Blinds, Just want to get them on line!
Who sells well made Relaxed Roman Blinds on line?
Need help choosing roman blind for my living room.
I don't know whether to go plain or striped. I've included...
Need help for my New Roman Blinds....
I have these new blinds installed. As you can see the...
Need help in picking curtains and roman blind for my kitchen
I have walnut floors, cream kitchen presses and granite...
Am I going about this the right way?
So my daughters are getting a bit older, nearly 6....
New front door, what color to stain it?
Apparently I need to decide ASAP on my door color....
Shutters or no shutters?
We are in the process of spicing up our exterior. We...
Any suggestions for finishing my kitchen/living room
Hi all! I have been working on my kitchen for a while...