Would like to enclose the front of this house

pegeriteJune 26, 2013
We would like to enclose the area currently bounded by the pillars but don't want it to look odd. The peak is 30' wide. Thinking lots of windows and can't decide where to put a front door....in the front center or to the side facing the driveway
Barnhart Gallery
Pegerite, I don't think it would look odd, but I do wonder whether a few extra square feet is worth the cost of demo/reno, and whether an addition off the back or up top might be a better use of your construction dollar. Definitely run this one by a local builder/architect so that you get the most for your money.
    Bookmark   Thanked by pegerite    June 26, 2013 at 4:48PM
Agreed with running by your ideas with an architect and builder to see a ballpark on the cost before moviing too far with this. Front door is usually centered in a porch.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 3:48PM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi....What is the room behind the three windows on the left, ditto the windows on the right???
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:42PM
Anne
How deep is the porch? It does not look deep enough to justify the cost of such a project. What are you intending to do with the space? Maybe if you need space, there would be some other place to add it on and not look odd. Agree that you should consult an architect.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:17PM
pegerite
The windows on the left are where a dining room is and the window on the right is a bedroom....was thinking if it were enclosed could use it as a small porch....also want it to have more curb appeal
    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 1:11PM
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
making the porch go that full width and depth of the covered area would look nice.. especially if you beef up the pose. I dont know that I would enclose it as it will only flatten out the facade. A nice railing .. a swing on the one side.. couple of chairs on the other side could really add that curb appeal.
    Bookmark   Thanked by pegerite    July 5, 2013 at 1:26PM
Casey Tomlinson
I guess it would make it more appealing and will give it more character.
    Bookmark   Thanked by pegerite    July 5, 2013 at 1:32PM
Anne
How deep is the over hang? if I were wanting more curb appeal, I would remove the current steps and hand rails. I would build a wooden porch all the way across with rails. I would make a curved path from the drive way or street to the front door. Install a new front door, possibly with side lights. Add a great set of light fixtures on either side of the door. Put a wicker set of furniture on one side, possibly a swing on the other. Flowers along the walk and in front of the new porch. Plant a tree or two in the front yard. Change out that stop sign window. Lots of options.
Horse Farm · More Info

Modern Bungalow · More Info
Stillwater Place · More Info
Stillwater Place · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 6:12PM
Anne
Porch · More Info
Knot On Call · More Info
Bayou Oaks · More Info

A GARDEN THAT TELLS A STORY · More Info
    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 6:15PM
Anne
Do a search on Houzz for front porches, there are lots of ideas!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 6:17PM
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Peg.....Now that I know what's behind the windows that helps. There are many things that need to be considered by a contractor, but here are my suggestions. I would remove the peak, the support posts, porch and stairs. Create a wide porch from the left corner to the right bushes, and at least 8' deep with stairs down to
the lawn the entire width. Build a large trellis, slightly higher than the roof line, that extends over the new porch
with heavier support posts. Covered with vine roses or whatever would work for your area. The 3 windows on the left become French doors, since this is your dining room, they would bring the outdoors in. The front door would
be a single French door, with tall shutters on either side. The existing windows for the bedroom would stay the same, their height will allow for porch furniture, which balance the front.
    Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 2:40PM
I would love ideas for how to update the front of my 1940'2 house.
We bought this house in San Jose four years ago. It...
egbertshouse
I would like my enclosed patio turned into a regular dining room
We have never had a dining room in this house and the...
judge2
We would like to enclose our open air centre atrium area with this type of ceiling.
Could you point me in the direction of a manufacturer...
usahalseys
This is the front of a house. What would you do to make it look upscale?
This house has a million-dollar view from the windows...
Laurel Ennis
Would really like some ideas on a deck design for front of house.
Found this site today and I am very excited about getting...
therealsnowman
Need help dividing great room and kitchen!
Our downstairs area is a great room and open kitchen....
Melissa Austin
Help with furniture, paint and deco!
Would like to use as office. Currently chair is desk...
tagan67394
Decorate my kitchen
My kitchen has been a nine year project. The cabinets...
tam1777
Living room is too....blah :(
I just can't make this room work no matter what I do!...
kali_rae
Need help with curb appeal
Will be painting exterior a sand color, and replacing...
Angela Martini