Would like to enclose the front of this house

pegeriteJune 26, 2013
We would like to enclose the area currently bounded by the pillars but don't want it to look odd. The peak is 30' wide. Thinking lots of windows and can't decide where to put a front door....in the front center or to the side facing the driveway
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barnhart Gallery
Pegerite, I don't think it would look odd, but I do wonder whether a few extra square feet is worth the cost of demo/reno, and whether an addition off the back or up top might be a better use of your construction dollar. Definitely run this one by a local builder/architect so that you get the most for your money.
    Bookmark   Thanked by pegerite    June 26, 2013 at 4:48PM
PRO
Dytecture
Agreed with running by your ideas with an architect and builder to see a ballpark on the cost before moviing too far with this. Front door is usually centered in a porch.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 3:48PM
PRO
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi....What is the room behind the three windows on the left, ditto the windows on the right???
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 4:42PM
Anne
How deep is the porch? It does not look deep enough to justify the cost of such a project. What are you intending to do with the space? Maybe if you need space, there would be some other place to add it on and not look odd. Agree that you should consult an architect.
    Bookmark   June 27, 2013 at 8:17PM
pegerite
The windows on the left are where a dining room is and the window on the right is a bedroom....was thinking if it were enclosed could use it as a small porch....also want it to have more curb appeal
    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 1:11PM
PRO
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
making the porch go that full width and depth of the covered area would look nice.. especially if you beef up the pose. I dont know that I would enclose it as it will only flatten out the facade. A nice railing .. a swing on the one side.. couple of chairs on the other side could really add that curb appeal.
    Bookmark   Thanked by pegerite    July 5, 2013 at 1:26PM
Casey Tomlinson
I guess it would make it more appealing and will give it more character.
    Bookmark   Thanked by pegerite    July 5, 2013 at 1:32PM
Anne
How deep is the over hang? if I were wanting more curb appeal, I would remove the current steps and hand rails. I would build a wooden porch all the way across with rails. I would make a curved path from the drive way or street to the front door. Install a new front door, possibly with side lights. Add a great set of light fixtures on either side of the door. Put a wicker set of furniture on one side, possibly a swing on the other. Flowers along the walk and in front of the new porch. Plant a tree or two in the front yard. Change out that stop sign window. Lots of options.
Horse Farm · More Info

Modern Bungalow · More Info
Stillwater Place · More Info
Stillwater Place · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 6:12PM
Anne
Porch · More Info
Knot On Call · More Info
Bayou Oaks · More Info

A GARDEN THAT TELLS A STORY · More Info
    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 6:15PM
Anne
Do a search on Houzz for front porches, there are lots of ideas!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 5, 2013 at 6:17PM
PRO
Matilda Bos Design Studio
Hi Peg.....Now that I know what's behind the windows that helps. There are many things that need to be considered by a contractor, but here are my suggestions. I would remove the peak, the support posts, porch and stairs. Create a wide porch from the left corner to the right bushes, and at least 8' deep with stairs down to
the lawn the entire width. Build a large trellis, slightly higher than the roof line, that extends over the new porch
with heavier support posts. Covered with vine roses or whatever would work for your area. The 3 windows on the left become French doors, since this is your dining room, they would bring the outdoors in. The front door would
be a single French door, with tall shutters on either side. The existing windows for the bedroom would stay the same, their height will allow for porch furniture, which balance the front.
    Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 2:40PM