Help choosing wood flooring
wksalter
Hi everybody! We need to select new wood flooring to go throughout house, replacing carpet and dated tile. I'm leaning to brown tones, I would really appreciate some darkness/color/product suggestions as I am overwhelmed by all the choices in store. It seems like a medium to darker brown tone walnut with no strong red or yellow undertones would be a timeless choice. But I really don't know, and thought some of you may have some ideas based on these photos. Our walls are a whitish color, and I'm thinking of painting all our oak trim white. I'm not sure if the current wall color will look good enough that way, so we may end up painting all the walls either a different color or a different white. I'm going to go for a light fresh airy feel with a young colorful fun vibe by adding bright colors in the drapes pillows rugs, etc. and some graphic maybe geometric content more modern large wall art pieces, add in some traditional sophistication with some brass and chinoiserie accessories. Anyways, back to the floors... Any ideas? : ) PS we are getting ready for a garage sale this weekend so pardon the mess, and as far as picking floors I'm not designing around any furniture as it will be replaced.
Ann
I have natural walnut floors and I love the tone. It begins with purple hues, but in a year or so, becomes much more golden.
June 26, 2013 at 7:12pm   
c1l2b3c4
We just installed new hardwoods throughout. Went with a blend of provincial and dark walnut. Hope that helps!
June 26, 2013 at 7:13pm   
Select Hardwood Floor Co.
Agree with Ann & c1...
Walnut is always a great choice. Can't be beat for sheer beauty. We produce a lot of it.
However, you seem to have some existing oak (the post) and probably elsewhere.
So I wouldn't rule out oak... it's finally making a strong comeback.
We've been seeing an increased call for white oak in more neutral gray to whitewashed colors.
We're preparing to post some new pics on our Houzz location.

Your tile is gray, so there wouldn't be any "culture shock". But there are limitless color choices in oak AND walnut.

Although MOST folks are drawn to WIDE width planks... my experience has been to suggest that by using narrower widths, you can lower the pricing as well as visually ENLARGE the areas by using smaller increments to make rooms look bigger thru spatial relation.
Just a few observations.
June 26, 2013 at 7:48pm   
wksalter
Thank you all for responding.

I looked at a pine floor stained one part provincial and two parts dark walnut and it is really pretty. I wish we were putting in a custom floor so we could stain it ourselves, but it looks like we will most likely be putting in an engineered wood floor. I need to check out some provincial engineered samples now that you mentioned that. I didn't know what provincial was before.

We dont personally prefer the orangey red undertone of the current oak, so we are almost positive we will paint all the trim and the column and mantel white. Though we may do some accent color on the mantel for a statement, not sure on that yet. I think the white trim, column, cabinets, etc will give it a bigger more airy feel in the house, right now the eye is just so drawn to all the dark wood. We will be replacing the current granite tile fireplace surround because of the pink in it we are trying to get away from.

We won't have any of the current tile left in the house as the wood floors will be 100 percent of the floors in the house, minus the two bathrooms for which we need to pick new tile.

I really do like oak in a brown dark oak or medium to darker walnut colored stain. I will pick up some oak samples as well. I would actually prefer just to get a real oak floor instead of engineered, but our foundation is slab, and we are hesitant to add the extra height of putting in a plywood subfloor to nail down to. Plus my contractor said it would be much more expensive.

Just FYI, we will be replacing the window treatments do the red toned oak or cherry blinds won't be here anymore either.
June 26, 2013 at 10:01pm   
Oak & Broad
Hello fellow Houzzers! I personally love Walnut. Here are couple pictures of a walnut floor we just made for another Houzz user. Let me know if you have any questions. Its 8" wide and all long length, the average plank was 8' long. joel@eutree.com
June 27, 2013 at 5:38am   
Select Hardwood Floor Co.
wksalter... you have options you may not be aware of.
For example, we manufacture CUSTOM prefinished flooring in any color (customer specification) as well as a variety of species (oak, walnut, & more), and finally, in finish styles from smooth to handscraped.
Solid as well as engineered for over concrete. There's a wide range of choices in prefinished hardwood on the market today. Some are great, some okay, but many are junk (IMHO).
So weigh your options carefully.

Considerations should include but not be restricted to: product construction, wear layer thickness, color, specie, & finish choices, and last but not least... point of origin. For obvious reasons, we endorse USA made products.

If you care to inquire directly about the different aspects, feel free to follow our link to our email and ask away...
No obligation... it better serves OUR industry to have you stay out of trouble... lol
June 27, 2013 at 6:09am     
need help choosing wood or wood like floors
I am remodelling a 1980 condo & putting in new floors....
Help! What type of wood floor should I choose?
We just bought a 7yr old house with engineered wood...
I need help choosing a good low coast wood flooring
Pulling up carpet in a 2250 sq foot home. Have no...
Help! I have to choose the best finish for my new wood floors
The choice: between polyurethane or 'water-borne quick...
Have you ever had a laundry disaster?
You open the doors to the laundry machine and out falls...
Bored with my loung room- need help pls!!
Hello Experts, I need help with my loung please! The...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
what type of barstools or other chair should I put here?
This is a huge 1000 square foot basement with bluish...
help figure out how to organize glasses in modern all lower cabinets
I cannot figure out how to use this new kitchen for...