Underpainting an exterior; have I lost my mind?
Marq Goldberg
I've been trying to get a dark brown color together for my EXTERIOR and also select some compatible colors for the trim and such. I finally settled on SW Polished Mahogany. Fortunately the house faces North and I'd be doing lighter colors on the back & sides so I'm not overly concerned about the sun beating on it. But I am toying with the idea of doing some under-painting. Basically I'd like to have it come out looking like the love seat in the attached photo. You'll notice that its not a solid tone. For example I may paint a layer of black on the trim. And I may feather it instead of trying to stay within the lines of the trim. And then cover that with one or more layers of Polished Mahogany. I'm thinking this might put a bit more character into it. Is this idea any cool or would most people think it just looks splotchy and amateurish?

I'm also open to ideas on a 2nd color and I'm thinking about using a greenish gold around the front doorway. I'll probably be using SW colors. So if anyone can think of suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Rockin' Fine Finish
What you are talking about is faux painting the exterior of your home . You will need patience and know that working on a canvas that big can be overwhelming
June 26, 2013 at 9:53PM   
studio10001
Yes, it its a cool idea, and people will think it splotchy and amateurish if it turns out splotchy and amateurish.( If it turns out well they also may rename your place Goldberg's House - o -Leather). Large practice boards will help you gain traction on your technique, and give you a good idea as to whether you are going to like the final effect. If you decide to go forward, I hope you will share progress photos.
June 26, 2013 at 10:05PM     
Need a bathroom paint color & decor suggestion
For now, I have to keep the cream color ceramic tile...
Need help for bedroom wall color
Dont know what color to paint walls, bed is a gray...
Suggestions for bathroom mirrored medicine cabinet
Replacing large mirror over double sink vanity with...
Kitchen help please
My kitchen cabinets were installed recently and I'm...