Not sure what to do with this orange fir in our character home
Janet Michaylow
We bought this home and are renovating it. But I find the orangey wood color old and kind of drab. I am thinking of painting it out, but worry about wrecking the character of the home. What would you do?
Take walnut stain to it, make it darker rather than lighter if the orange isn't working for your color scheme. Use a gel stain so you can paint it on, most older wood has lost the power of its original shellac, and is dry and wide open. You could also wash it - there is a great thread today with folks who have character house with washed wood - warm greige paint watered down by 1/3 washes out all the orange but leaves the grain and character. Let me find the link to that other house - here - http://www.houzz.com/discussions/532859/I-need-help-picking-a-new-color-for-the-walls
1 Like   June 26, 2013 at 10:13PM
Janet Michaylow
Warm greige paint? Do you mean warm beige? Interested in that link. We thought about staining it dark to match the beams in the living room, but it would just make the hall so dark. thank you
   June 26, 2013 at 10:20PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
Refinish it dont paint it what else is going on the home do you have more pics to see what you are working with
   June 26, 2013 at 10:31PM
Janet Michaylow
English farmhouse. Orange wood, and the living room had the beams and window casing stained dark at some point. So it makes sense to stain the rest dark as well. Then I would pick a medium color hardwood. I am a beach cottage chic style gal.
   June 27, 2013 at 1:20PM
Rockin' Fine Finish
making the wood dark would be best don't paint it
   June 27, 2013 at 2:54PM
Warren Mullins
I might restain it to a much darker stain so that it will fit to my home.
   June 27, 2013 at 2:57PM
You can do a gray finished floor with dark woods and that would take your farmhouse straight to beach cottage style.
1 Like   June 27, 2013 at 3:16PM
Vivian
The blue is accenting the orange. I would go with a wash of some sort. I like a small bit of dark wood in cottage beach but for the most part I love the pastels and mixed patterns. Libradesigneye's link is right on for me.
   June 27, 2013 at 3:32PM
juniperjo
Greige is a real color, sort of a cross between grey and beige; usually a bit more grey than beige.

I feel stupid for asking, but what is a "character home"?
1 Like   June 27, 2013 at 3:35PM
juniperjo
Thanks, grannythedecorator. Ha, I've never heard "character home" before -- wonder if it's a regionalism? Where are y'all from? We just call those "old homes" where I'm from (Michigan)!
   June 27, 2013 at 3:53PM
Janet Michaylow
I am in Saskatchewan. Say that 10 times!
   June 28, 2013 at 11:28AM
juniperjo
Maybe "character home" is a Canadian expression then? I've never heard it before!
   June 29, 2013 at 4:27PM
DIY Design Coach
Paint it.
   June 30, 2013 at 7:03AM
jpp221
I wouldn't paint it. Painting wood out is a TV designerism, largely because wood doesn't photograph well. Also, TV designers' jobs are to make every house look "current", not timeless (they are making decisions to last an episode, not a lifetime--they will repaint annually, what do they care?)

The wood is what makes this house SPECIAL.

If you want to de-orange it, I'd consider altering the wall colour. That cool blue makes the orange REALLY orange.
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 7:39AM
Janet Michaylow
jpp221, I agree with you. We loved the wood when we found the house and to paint it, I fee would take away 100 years of character, plus look kind of bad once the paint chips (kids and wear and tear). I thought I posted a picture of the living room that has the wood beams and the window casing stained walnut. I think I will stain the rest of the wood that color to tie it all in. Hopefully, we can get it done soon! Thanks.
   June 30, 2013 at 11:03AM
What to do with this mess?
I have no idea what to do with this room!? We moved...
Dated orangey oak kitchen
Just bought a 15 year old house with mostly original...
Backsplash tile dilemma
We just had our kitchen redone and I need to make a...
Please help me tie my room together!
Hi everyone! I've been decorating my living room and...
Only two walls in Living room
My living room has only two walls , one of which is...