1970's raised ranch - crown moulding?
jkdewinter
Hi there
We will be moving into a 1970's raised bungalow. I was wondering if crown moulding would be appropriate and if so what size and style? We want to add some character to the principle rooms but do not want to fight the era of the house. The pic is the listing pic- we will remove the carpet as well- original oak hardwood underneath - stained light. We will want to add baseboards as well.
CDR Design
I would not add crown molding, as I believe it will, as you say, fight the era of the house. The floor will be beautiful. Good call there.
June 27, 2013 at 4:19am   
We have a '67 ranch with the larger baseboards and crown molding. The crown is in the living room only and I love it!
June 27, 2013 at 4:25am     
Carolyn C. Interior Decorator, Brampton, ON.
Here is a link to a blog on a 70's make over. http://thebrickstreetbungalow.blogspot.ca/2011/11/70s-weekender-makeover-odd-thanksgiving.html

If you love crown moulding it shouldn't be a problem. Because the ceilings are 8' you don't want one too large, but too skinny won't work either. I would consider removing the built in valance over the windows. It will make the room feel a bit taller and it's wise to do it before you add the crown.

Here is a link to a discussion about crown and ceiling heights from houzz. worth looking at, there are guidelines as to the proper height for ceiling heights. You can see that a substantial crown can look very good in a room with an 8' ceiling.
http://www.houzz.com/discussions/144460/Crown-Molding-or-not-on-8-ft--ceilings--

The key to installing crown moulding is to ensure that it's installed properly and the proportions are right.

Do consider a consultation with a local pro to help point you in the right direction and possibly provide you with some ideas that you may not even consider.

Good luck in your new home.
June 27, 2013 at 4:37am     
Judy M
I own a small 936 sq ft ranch that is a beach rental, and I added crown molding in open kitchen and living room and hallway.

So I say go for it, it is a detail no different than adding chair rails.
June 27, 2013 at 4:38am     
annabelle88
Yes , it might be nice to paint the ceiling light blue with BM cameo white walls, and white trim on the crown molding. Another idea would be to add wide bead board on the ceiling. Love a beach cottage . Have one too.
June 27, 2013 at 4:58am     
Galileo Construction Inc.
Bonjour, I would add the crown moldings, they would have to be smaller than the window box. Find something similar to the window frames. For color go with the same finish as the floor.
June 27, 2013 at 5:03am     
1950s Ranch vs 1970s Ranch
I am not a designer by any stretch. We just purchased...
Need help with this 1970s ranch style house
We have done a lot of work on the inside of our home,...
Need help with a 1970's ranch!!!
HELP!!! I am going crazy with this house. I bought...
Need help with coffee table !
Hi! My small 12x12 formal living room is a work in...
Exterior design and color
Our exterior desperately needs updating. We cannot...
Stain or Paint Deck
I'm not sure which is best. Should I stain or paint...
Do you sleep with blackout curtains?
Are you enjoying the bright nights? Although the shortest...