Need ideas on colors to paint split foyer please!
cathyink2510
House needs help. Have to keep dated vertical wood siding for now. But want to paint the wood and also the dated brick below. Would appreciate ideas for the upper and lower sections plus accent colors for the door and shutters. Thank you!
elklaker
What color is your roof?
June 27, 2013 at 9:26am   
cathyink2510
It is brown also. We will replace it eventually but for now it stays....
June 27, 2013 at 9:33am   
Is your style modern or traditional inside? or transitional?
June 27, 2013 at 9:34am   
cathyink2510
Inside will be modern.....
June 27, 2013 at 9:36am   
cathyjoco
Hello, I think you probably could eliminate some of the vertical pieces - that aren't covering the seams. However, I would pull one of the colors from the bricks - not the lightest and not the darkest. The entire front door should only be 1 color. The light above the door should be replaced with something a bigger and bolder. I think I would cut the hedge that is closest to the front porch, to expose more of the brick, and I would put 2 large matching pots. I would paint the shutters a deep blue/green, dark berry/red or use a color chart to help assist. Also try to soften the edges of the hedges because I think it is adding to the horizontal lines of the house.
June 27, 2013 at 9:51am   
Here's some neutrals that can play both ways -
Test these two sets of ideas -
for a traditional look - paint your brick this prarie grass tone http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7546-prairie-grass/
and then above, go lighter - this tone will work like a dark white - you'll still have contrast to your neighbor. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7036-accessible-beige/ I see the rear garage is much lighter, and this will work on the wood there too.

For a traditional look, keep the shutters, and paint them avenue tan http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7543-avenue-tan/
Paint your front door a spring green - like http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6423-ryegrass/ and change out the light fixture over your door to something large in oil rubbed bronze.

If you want a more transitional/ modern look, then use this on the brick http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW0049-silver-gray/
stick with the accessible beige on the siding, but take down your shutters, and go for a more electric green front door in http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6717-lime-rickey/
If you have the patience, and want a modern look, old aluminum is usually open and pitted and will take paint well. Using a charcoal on the window sashes and trim around your door would read very modern. Somethng like sw grizzle gray

Finish with a terrific modern nickel toned entry light - they've got some nautical inspired ones / some industrial / barn ones now that are terrific.
June 27, 2013 at 9:56am      Thanked by cathyink2510
cathyink2510
Thank you! We are going to need to paint the brick though because there are actually peach colored bricks as well as brown and beige. What color might you suggest for the body of the house and then would we paint the bricks the same color or different shade? Completely agree with door and like the color suggestions and landscaping ideas.
June 27, 2013 at 9:58am   
cathyink2510
libradesigneye: Thank you for the traditional and modern ideas. You've given me lots to think about. Appreciate it so much.
June 27, 2013 at 10:02am   
cathyink2510
So, just realized that the fascia and soffit are brown. And roof is brown. So, you are saying to possibly paint the fascia and soffit as well as the window sashes and trim? If we did not want to paint the old aluminum will the brown go with the grays you suggest? Thanks again!
June 27, 2013 at 10:24am   
If you don't want to paint the old aluminum, you probably want to stick with the brown palette. To get a more modern look with it isn't difficult though - you could take off the shutters.
If you are willing to take the time, use a deep bronze tone like sw urbane bronze / or tape/mask all the glass off and use rustoleum oil rubbed bronze spray paint on your aluminum windows before you paint.

Use the contrasting deeper (brick paint tone) on trim around the front door. Paint your storm door the same green as the front door - keep that cool mod door - when it is all painted out one color it will look very modern.
Use bronze finish but more modern light fixture above - it will look just as modern as the gray but harmonize with the metal flashing better. You might even like the result better long term than the gray.
June 27, 2013 at 2:25pm   
1978 Split Foyer Exterior Colors... WE NEED HELP!!
Hi Jennifer! We have the "fixer special" with our 1978...
Really dislike our 1970's split entry home - Ideas needed! Please help!
We have a split entry home. There are so many features...
Need paint ideas for split/open concept
We're about to start a remodel on our split entry....
Need ideas painting split level open concept house...
We want to paint the house, but we are having problems...
NEED A NEW UPDATED PAINT COLOR
Sick of Red paint. Need a color that matches these...
Dining Room Rug
Working on my dining room (moved into home less than...
Please suggest a light Greige wall colour!
Hi, i need to paint my basement and I would like a...
Need help with this guest room
This room is very small. I had the head board made...