Need help on covered patio.
Derek Jones
June 27, 2013 in Design Dilemma
In my back yard we have a covered patio that is covered by our roof. There are two support post in the middle. i'm going to be building a pergola at the end of the roof that will extend out another 8ft. I would like to remove the two middle support post to really open up the space but not quite sure what I should do with the current 4x6 beam that spans 25ft for my current covered patio. Should i remove two middle post and sister in another 2x6 or remove middle post and replace the whole beam with a couple 2x8?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Harding Construction & Sustainable Solutions
You should run this by a structural engineer first. It's better to be safe than sorry and money spent on an engineer is money well spent. Good luck with your project.
June 27, 2013 at 10:05pm     
Darzy
We had a covered patio installed and I asked the contractor the same question. I wanted a wide open space and structurally, a no-no.
June 27, 2013 at 10:10pm   
kristy2
There are building codes that say how big a header has to be for it to span a certain distance ("span" is the distance between 2 posts, the header is the big beam that sits on top of the posts.) The farther apart your posts, the bigger the header has to be. You would have to think about if you want a beam that huge sitting on top of your posts - the scale would look all wrong, and the expense of getting it up there...
The reason those building codes exist is that if the span to too big for the size of the header, the header would fail, collapse your roof, and maybe hurt someone. That's why the building codes exist.
June 28, 2013 at 12:06am