Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nlmackay

Need help coordinating rugs & decorating on a budget

nlmackay
10 years ago
My dining room and living room are one giant space...which I hate both! I need color and need to add the finishing touches to these rooms to jazz it up. I like elegant and transitional spaces. I really want to start from scratch in both these rooms, but need to keep the furniture due to budget. I figure the first thing I should change in these rooms are the area rugs. Do you think a zebra rug (brown, stenciled cow hide) would work well in the living area? I also like trellis patterns or a geometric pattern for the dining room. Thoughts? I am at a loss because I dont know how to get two rugs that coordinate well! Please help! Would love to hear suggestions for colors and rug patterns. Also, I'm not a fan of earth tones.

Comments (14)

• elcieg
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Put the heavy leather chair over where the cute little chair is now. Bring the other over with the back to the dining space.

Both rugs are too small. Because I don't know the measurements of your space, figure 2' smaller all around than the designated space of the room, possibly 8 x 10 for both?

What is the pattern on the little chair? Looks cute.

I would get plain, but with interest, rugs. Look on overstock.com for good buys or go to your local rug store and see if they have good remnants that can be bound.

With your left over money that you have saved on the rugs :>), invest in two upholstered chairs for either end of your table and put three of the ladder backs on each side.

Replace the mirror with a colorful canvas wrapped picture from Home Goods that matches the chairs. Then pillows, your last pick, for the sofa.

I love your rooms. Are you in an old house with a bay window street side?

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Nourison-Hand-tufted-Natural-Cosmopolitan-Rug-8-x-106/6201312/product.html
  • Warren Mullins
    10 years ago
    Since it's more of an earth tone in your living room, I suggest you pick rugs that will complement your living room area. You can place a neutral color preferably white or gray will do but for something unusual, you might try a much lighter brown something pastel just to complement with your hardwood floors and dark brown furniture.
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Hi - the big leather chair doesnt fit between the windows. The two rugs I have are 8x10, but I'm unsure of the room dimensions. I had bassett furniture do an in home consultation, and I ended up with furniture too big for my space. We initially were going to get 4 chairs in the living room but were talked out of it. I spent over 10K and my living room doesn't look completed at all. Here are a few more pics. Please dont mind the kids table and mess in the kitchen, we just had a playdate. The house was built in 2001.
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Did their in-home designer suggest all your purchases?

How long have you had your furniture?
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I bought my furniture 5 years ago. They suggested all of the furniture. I just bought these curtains from restoration hardware and I have yet to shorten them because I dont know if I'll keep them. I'm thinking of adding a band to them to jazz them up. I did have green raw silk from pottery barn that I just took down because I was so sick of green! I have been so stuck because I don't know how to move on from this boring brown. Also, my husband is in between jobs so I want to update our look for minimal money. I love the look of this room. Not necessarily the pops of yellow, but the overall look: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop/williams-sonoma-home/home-living-room/?cm_type=lnav

I figure I'll start with the rugs, then alter the curtain accordingly, get some throw pillows, and then some art. I'm thinking etsy for art to get some originals :)
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Also, here's my den (kids and tv watching area - hence the cheapo ottoman and microfiber couch!) that's off the kitchen, just so you can see most of my whole space. I'm working on looking for some cornice board inspiration to DIY some curtains. I'm thinking along the lines of this style:
    Betsy Burnham · More Info

Living Room Chic · More Info
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    more pics...
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Do you like any of these colors?

Don't look for advice on this post for the den. Just concentrate on the living/dining right now.

Greek Key Trim Tape · More Info

Greek Key Jacquard, White/Navy · More Info

Athens Key Trim, Sky · More Info
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sorry, for the confusion. I wasn't looking for advice on the den, just showing you the first floor of my house. I like the blue and the orange, and I love the Greek key pattern.
  • groveraxle
    10 years ago
    Your inspiration room (below) has light furniture. You have brown leather. Have you considered switching the furniture in the living room and the den?
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I wish I could, but it would NEVER fit. My den is about 4x the size of the living room and the sectional wouldn't ever fit in there. Thanks for the suggestion though.
  • nlmackay
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I was just looking at the greek key patterns again. I tend to gravitate towards blue and feel like a lot of colors go with blue. The green and gold looks nice together, too.
  • elcieg
    10 years ago
    Helen Slate Blue and Brown Rug · More Info