Need help how to paint my kitchen cabinetts.
smorgenstern
Cannot afford new cabinets. Will paint the old once. Tips and advise is very welcome. Technique, what is the best paint to use, etc. Thank you all for helping me out. Sigrid
studio10001
Good prep is important. Wash sand w med., fine, and steel wool followed by a tack cloth. Oil Alkyd gives a superior cleaning surface and maintains its gloss, but if you paint white, you will notice yellowing with age.( If that is a problem, stick to high gloss latex and a good quality brush)Cure time is two to three weeks) Apply oil based primer, two coats paint (sand and tack between) with a sponge roller to eliminate brushstrokes.
June 27, 2013 at 10:51pm     
NexG Interiors
satin or semi-gloss.

A quick refresh on paint finishes: Most paints offer your pick of sheen preference, from flat to high-gloss. In general, the flatter (or more matte) the finish, the harder it is to clean; the glossier (or shinier) the finish, the easier it is to clean! When it comes to kitchens, you definitely want a paint finish that can handle a little water, soap, and elbow grease. This makes satin or semi-gloss paint finishes a perfect choice.

A satin finish is often used interchangeably with an eggshell finish, but it actually has a little more of a sheen to it. When used in the kitchen, a satin finish will look soft, silky, and a little glowy. Satin finishes are also good at resisting mildew, stains, and dirt, and are pretty scrubbable.

A semi-gloss finish has even more gloss in it, typically anywhere from 40-70%. It reflects a lot of light, and has a lovely gleam and glow to it without being too over-the-top shiny. The higher gloss content also means that it's very durable and wipeable — a great choice for a kitchen, and especially for the backsplash.

Regards
kitchen designers
June 27, 2013 at 11:11pm     
Keitha
There is a new product out just for painting kitchen cabinets that several houzzers had used with good success. I will try to find the thread for you It could be very helpful ????
June 27, 2013 at 11:58pm        Thanked by smorgenstern
Keitha
Found it! The thread is PAINTED KITCHEN CABINETS by Jordan26 posted 3 weeks ago. Shows before and after pics.
June 28, 2013 at 12:03am        Thanked by smorgenstern
studio10001
If a low sheen is desired, you might try chalk paint for a hard wearing surface. If you choose latex, be aware that all sheens will be reduced with wear. The paint kit on the market that I think Keitha is referring to (can't locate the thread quickly) also contains coloured glazes to apply for additional depth, or an aged look. First-time Houzzer painters seem to enjoy them. Glazes are available through your local paint dep't. too, but the kit streamlines both choices and process for you.(at a fee). Happy painting!
June 28, 2013 at 12:43am        Thanked by smorgenstern
smorgenstern
Thank you all for so much good information. I will digest it and will give a status report about my kitchen.
June 28, 2013 at 5:47am     
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
I have actually used a product from Lowes that you buy in the paint department. They have 2 different kits! One just restores the color the other completely changes the color. Sooo easy to do! FIrst you take the solution that comes in the kit and put it on a towel, which also comes from the kit, and wipe all the surfaces. That's it for the prep...no sanding required...it takes the shine and dirt off!. Next you put one coat of the paint on with a foam brush or bristle brush. This step does not do a good coat...so do not panic! The second coat will totally surprise you! They have a finishing coat that is the third step. That's it! It has lasted for years with no chipping! You take the kit from the shelf at Lowes, go to the paint counter...choose from the list of colors available and they will mix the paint for you! A box can do more than kitchen...we had quite a bit left over. This is a weekend project! Costs around $75.00!!
June 28, 2013 at 6:00am        Thanked by smorgenstern
jcorn1
You got some great tips here! Having painted my kitchen, including the walls and cabinets, I would only add that I needed the entire weekend to get it done. It was my first major paint job and I worked slowly and carefully. Also, leave plenty of time for prep and use old sheets or other material to cover anything you don't want drops of paint to hit. I used a high gloss white in a formerly dark hole of a kitchen and the difference was amazing. Just painting our cheap (came with the house) dark wood cabinets with a glossy white made a huge difference in the light in the kitchen. And they were easy to clean! Good luck. Hope you show before and after photos!
June 28, 2013 at 6:14am        Thanked by smorgenstern
smorgenstern
I thank everybody for the great advise. Have not started yet, as I have so many renovation projects going on at the same time. However, I will take photos from before and after. The Lowes paint kit sounds very interesting to me. Especially, that I can get the paint color I want. I appreciate so much the time you all took to help me out.
July 3, 2013 at 4:37am     
studio10001
You're welcome. Looking forward to the results!
July 3, 2013 at 8:47am     
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
Check out this transformation using the Lowe's product I was talking about. It looks amazing!
August 10, 2013 at 3:38pm     
studio10001
Stacy, what are we seeing on the upper far right cabinet? (wine bottle atop)
August 10, 2013 at 4:20pm   
smorgenstern
What a great job you did. I will get started next week. I am getting excited after seeing your kitchen. Thank you.
August 14, 2013 at 12:21pm   
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
I had nothing to do with the bottle!!!
August 14, 2013 at 6:36pm     
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
Hope you enjoy the look when you are done! Don't forget there are 2 types of cabinet transformation kits...one restores the finish...that is NOT the one you want. The other TRANSFORMS your cabinets...double check with them at the paint counter...as they will take the cans from the box and mix the finish you want!
August 14, 2013 at 6:38pm   
studio10001
*L* I was wondering about the cabinet face in that spot. Have limited knowledge of the kits and the lights seem to be highlighting something there- besides the beautiful colour, is there grain, variations of glaze?... dirty laptop?
August 14, 2013 at 6:59pm   
Exciting Windows! by Stacey Hudson
Nope...that is the kitchen pot lights shining down...it is really nice coverage. The ladies put 2 coats of stain, I would like to see three. You have to decide based on how the stain takes to your cabinets. There is so much glaze and paint in the kit, we did the bathroom and kitchen and still had left overs!
August 15, 2013 at 1:47pm     
i need help deciding how to trim my windows in my den/kitchen
The window is 72" x 72" , i already installed interior...
So far i have had custom wooden shutters installed...
I need help choosing my paint colors for my kitchen.
I am antiquing my cabinets and cabinetry, but would...
Need help. What color do I want to paint my walls in my kitchen?
White cabinets (not sure yet whether we're going to...
HELP! Need help on idea of what color to paint my kitchen cabinets!
Need help with what color to paint cabinets and island....
Carpet or Hardwoods
I'm redoing a basement family room. it's is fairly...
Redo Coastal Living Room
I have ordered a new white slipcovered sofa and two...
Pros and cons of metal shelving in kitchen
It's a small kitchen renovation. I was thinking of...
Cabinet Door Replacement
I have a cabinet door with a large crack in the wood...
What's your best vintage find?
Finding a gem in a vintage or antique shop is better...