counter depth refrigerator
foreverfarm11
Has anyone here ever purchased a refrigerator that is even with your counters? Did you have enough room and would you do it again. Building a new house and I am pondering having the fridge even with the counters.....plan on going with the french door refrigerator. We will have a spare fridge and chest freezer down in the basement and its for my husband and me
We LOVE ours! Best decision we ever made (ours is also french door, bottom freezer). While it technically has less room than our old fridge, it is laid out so much more efficiently that it feels like there is more (things don't get lost and forgotten at the back any more). We have a household of three. I'm not sure it would be large enough for a family with many kids, but in your situation it should offer plenty of room.
June 28, 2013 at 5:29AM        Thanked by foreverfarm11
0825sam
Same here I love ours - we ordered a standard depth and it looked terrible. I find it has plenty of room and you will certainly be fine if you have additional freezer space elsewhere.
June 28, 2013 at 5:42AM        Thanked by foreverfarm11
Adrianne
have you considered having your contractor make a niche in the wall for your fridge to extend further back?
To do this, It depends on what room is behind the fridge wall.. I've seen this done when that wall boarders the kitchen and garage or laundry room.
The complaints on counter depth are from people who entertain or have large families. If you have a 2nd kitchen you are safe but if you order unbaked large pizza's or store large cakes you might not like the counter depth fridge.
Also remember a counter depth fridge will still stick out a little so the door can swing open... Maybe 4 inches plus handles instead of the typical 8 inches plus handles.

The best thing to do is to look at fridge and bring the biggest pan you use with you... I wish I did that on my last dishwasher.. Fail!
June 28, 2013 at 5:55AM     
We have framed it so that our counter-depth fridge sticks out only 2", plus handles, and it has no trouble with door hinge clearance. It has the visual effect of being flush with the cabinets.
June 28, 2013 at 5:59AM     
foreverfarm11
I never thought about the niche in the wall and wish I would have thought of that sooner. Contracts are signed, and if I make any changes they will charge me at a minimum $250 plus what ever cost they feel a niche deservies.....to be honest - I have "Upgradded" about $50,000 worth so far - and I have to say no more somewhere -
June 28, 2013 at 6:00AM   
Adrianne
Feeny, It is flush because you customized your cabinets to make it flush.
If this is a picture of your kitchen that you are talking about.. Notice the fridge side comes out further than your cabinets.. that is typically an upgrade not in the allowance bid of a new home.

cabinet depth is usually 24". Over hang on counter top usually an 1.5"; extended fridge side should be long enough that counter top recess' into the extended fridge side making that side panel 26" Remember... cabinet are 24" deep..
So counter depth fridges still pokes out..about 4" not as bad as standard fridges but I hate telling a client why their fridge isn't flush because they chose not to do an extended fridge side with matching deep fridge wall cabinet.
Something else people forget is the depth of the fridge.. plus the depth of the fridge with the plug sticking out.
June 30, 2013 at 7:53AM   
Yes, our cabinets are custom, so our cabinetmaker measured everything so that both the cabinets themselves and the framing around the refrigerator had a little extra to make it sit flush. But my point was that at least some counter-depth refrigerators are capable of opening fully with only two inches of clearance, so you can make them look almost flush without buying a built in.
June 30, 2013 at 10:36AM   
Adrianne
Gotcha.. Thought you where saying a counter depth would only come out 2".. When they usually stick out 4" I just wanted to clarify that unless money was spent it would be 4" on a counter depth fridge. People do not like those extra two inches.. any customer I work with would be calling back to have us remake it.
June 30, 2013 at 11:05AM   
I have counter depth and love it but remember counter depth costs more so it could be an even trade to have the niche built.
June 30, 2013 at 11:11AM     
Big Mountain Builders
Since the counter depth refrigerators are more expensive, we have been recessing the wall behind the refrigerator to accommodate standard depth refrigerators. One thing to make sure of is that the refrigerator you choose has 90 degree hinges. I do feel for you on the $250 minimum change order fee plus the cost of the change order. Honestly, we would not charge for small changes like that at all. We do not believe in "nickel and diming" our customers.
June 30, 2013 at 11:15AM     
Please help completing my great room
It is a very bare space at the moment as I have focused...
Am I crazy to have black hardware in a white kitchen???
We are building a house and now that the cabinets are...
How should I hang the artwork?
Should I center this art work above the couch and let...