shower stall
coco1957June 28, 2013
I would like to remove my bathtub and install a shower stall 60 x 30-32. I would like to know how far should the glass wall go (I don't want to use a door and for those with experience, how difficult is it to clean? I have some physical disability.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Arlene Warda, Architect
For a roll in shower, I would have two reccommendations:

1. 4'0" deep, just roll in (no turning around space in wheel chair)
2. 5'0" deep. It ADA standard. (for wheelchairs) a circular turnaround.

You should get a good shower drain for water to drain into the shower not into the main bath.

If you get a 'flat' tile floor this is very important.
    Bookmark   Thanked by coco1957    June 28, 2013 at 10:40AM
coco1957
Thanks Arlene. I am not in a wheelchair but I do have a prostetic and I can stand.

The space is really configured to walk right into the shower behind the door with the fixtures on the left.

As is the tub has a showerhead so I'm not concerned about water drain because I live alone. Yes I would like to install a little "lip" to avoid water splashing or flowing into the rest of the bathroom. not sure how high the "lip" (for want of a better word) would have to be though to be code in Bronx, New York
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 10:49AM
PRO
Innovate Building Solutions
Coco - there are a lot of ways to do a tub to shower conversion in a 60 x 32 space. If you want a barrier free shower you can consider a product called a "shower shield" or "pivoting shower screen." These products provide a glass element with an opening at the entry point of the shower. I'll provide you with a page link that will show you more examples and some pictures below:
http://innovatebuildingsolutions.com/products/bathrooms/roll-in-handicapped-shower
    Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 2:09PM
PRO
Innovate Building Solutions
Sorry Coco - I accidentally grabbed the wrong image above - although this is an example of a roll in shower using a shower screen
    Bookmark   Thanked by coco1957    July 27, 2013 at 2:12PM
coco1957
Thank you ever so much for your response. The image you attached is kind of what I want but I'm wondering if a shower pan is needed to do this. Can you also send the image you'd wanted to.
    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 9:34AM
industrialing
Coco- try a white subway tile backsplash and some stone-rock mimic. like in the example below- if you want privacy- frosted glass is the way to go. It's not very hard to clean-having it at home- you just have to be careful- install non-slippery sufaces. If you want a modern look go for concrete? Its not slippery at all
    Bookmark   August 1, 2013 at 9:42AM