radiant floor heating in two story home?
wilredd
We are building a new home and want hydroponic radiant floor heating. Can we install it on the first and second floors of the home? If not, what kind of heating would we use on the second floor?
Oellien Design, Inc.
Yes it can be used on the second floor and it is installed on the underside of the floor joists. A metal reflector plate is used to reflect the heat back to the flooring. A great heating source.
0 Likes   June 28, 2013 at 12:23PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Nothing like radiant floor heating! We used it on both floors of a custom home last year, slab foundation on the first floor and wood subfloor with 1 1/2" thk. lightweight concrete on the second floor! Great system!
1 Like   June 28, 2013 at 1:54PM
Kaplan Architects, AIA
If you are going to the expense of putting in the hydronic system, you will want to heat the entire house as Kevin Patrick mentions above. It generally will cost more in upfront cost but it is a more energy efficient heating system and will therefore have a lower operating costs.
1 Like   June 28, 2013 at 2:15PM
wilredd
Thanks. Can we put the boiler in the detached garage, run pipes under the sidewalk that connects the walkway to the house, and also heat the studio above the garage? Is that asking too much assuming that all the spaces would not be heated at the same time?
0 Likes   June 28, 2013 at 2:23PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Anything can be done if you throw enough money at it!! Also efficiency goes down the longer the main runs. You might talk with a local install company in your area to bounce ideas around!
0 Likes   June 28, 2013 at 2:27PM
wilredd
Thanks. Will do.
1 Like   June 28, 2013 at 2:30PM
wilredd
You all are very helpful!
1 Like   June 28, 2013 at 2:31PM
FINNE Architects
We have designed and built many 2-story homes with hydronic radiant floor heating. It is even, steady and wonderful heat as well as energy-saving. I highly recommend it.
--Nils Finne, AIA
1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 1:57PM
wilredd
Thanks
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 1:59PM
lewis + smith
There are a variety of approaches to installing a radiant system. The most efficient regarding energy savings places the tubing in a concrete topping slab on the second floor. This approach requires that the structural system is designed to accommodate the additional dead load. If you want to take advantage of the real benefits of a radiant system you should speak with your architect and engineer to coordinate this.
1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 3:44PM
wilredd
Here is a related question: What would you recommend for a cooling system to work with radiant floor heat?
0 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 3:53PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
@wilredd, my customers are using the wall mount mini split ductless units for A/C (Mitsubishi) when they go with radiant floor heating.
0 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 4:07PM
Fred S
Where do you live? It sounds like you are building the house on a slab, or have a high water table. If you are building on a slab, your climate would suggest using a heat pump rather than a boiler. If you are in a colder climate, the boiler in the garage would not be recommended.
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 4:22PM
Bar stool questions
Are these barstools okay or should I use something...
Where can I find chairs like these?
I'm looking for 4 chairs like in the attached photo,...
Need help for my kitchen
I have an old cherry table, medium oak chairs, cherry...
Struggling with styling my foyer console
Hi everyone, I was hoping for your input and suggestions...
Exterior design options...
Currently remodeling house..Ideas, options, experiments......