I GIVE UP! :/

newhomeowner49684June 28, 2013
Ideas for bringing this all together? I know I need a new entertainment stand, I just haven't found one I like. Same for curtains.

And I can't get a rug because my dog will pee on it.
Iris Design Studio
You can replace the ceiling lamp with track lighting, for better light, and a more modern appeal. You will need a track with 5-6 spot lights of at least 60W each. Use LEDs to save electricity.
Then choose a dominant color (orange, red, blue) and use it as pillows, table cloth and a couple of accessories like vases.
This should do the work.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 12:23PM
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend going with roman blinds instead of drapery. This way your god cant get to it and it doesnt collect hair. It also looks modern and clean.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 12:33PM
newhomeowner49684
Thanks for the suggestions, but we aren't changing anything such as the ceiling fan, or taking the curtain rods off. This room was a HUGE renovation and I'm sticking to new furniture, colors, accents, and decor.

Also, my dog is tiny and his coat does not shed.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 12:45PM
pitbulls
I BOUGHT AN INDOOR/OUTDOOR RUG FOR MY KITCHEN from homedecorators.com . I have 2 dogs. I'm very pleased
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 12:55PM
sharpkl
End tables with lamps for ambient light will make it more cozy and warm. Then a few pillows and colorful accents are all you need.
Right now you seem to have brown and green in the room so a nice ikat print with the wall color and another color o your choosing should work.
    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 12:58PM
Ann
OK. I really like your couch but I'm not crazy about the way the ottoman works with the couch. If there is another place in your home for the ottoman (maybe the foot of a bed?), I might buy a coffee table. If that's the only place for the ottoman, maybe a carefully chosen rug would make the couch and ottoman work better together. I like what you've done with the art around the TV - good job minimizing the TV look!
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    June 28, 2013 at 1:00PM
newhomeowner49684
Sorry, these pictures are awful. The wall color is revere pewter (grayish/beige), the sofa is blueish gray, and the oversided chair is brown. Our colors are gray/blue/red/brown
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 1:02PM
newhomeowner49684
I'm over the ottoman, it goes with the furniture in the basement. I'm looking for a new table, but I have no idea what color/style. Im so confused.
    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 1:07PM
newhomeowner49684
And thank you Ann
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 1:08PM
Ann
Oh, that's useful. Removing the ottoman would help very much! So, let's assume you'll find an entertainment stand that will hide the components that are underneath. Then lamps as mentioned above and a coffee table will look great. I'll look around for lamp and table ideas.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 1:16PM
Don't give up yet. Lots of great advice coming your way.

Here is my 2 cents:

Paint the t v wall a dark gray in the tone of your sofa. It will help disguise the black t v "hole". Take a look at some of the black IKEA media shelving.

Black sofa, go away. Maybe two silvery gray leather chairs instead? Play up your nailhead color with metal legs on the furniture and coffee table. Light grey linen panels on your black rods (a little higher and wider).

Is that the front door? Love it the style and the glass panels, but I can barely notice it. How about a wow color for the door and bring that over to the sofa in pillows?
Belvedere's apartment · More Info

Yellow Pillow Cover-Mustard Bird Pillow-Yellow Floral Pillow-Yellow Cushion- 16x · More Info

Whatever you choose, investigate a polypropylene rug. You can take it out in the driveway and hose it down.
Woven Diamond Black/Ivory Rug · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 1:17PM
Ann
Here are two lamp possibilities and I like this simple metal and glass coffee table from Pottery Barn. I think the taller Pottery Barn lamp (first picture) would look best with the whiter shade shown on the shorter lamp in the same picture. The other lamp with the skinny neck is Crate and Barrel. I like the idea of a silvery lamp to play up the nailhead of your sofa as judyg suggested.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    June 28, 2013 at 1:51PM
taraleigh
I think if you just flank two inexpensive end tables with lamps on the sides of your couch that would help so much. That would almost eliminate the need for a coffee table in such a narrow space. Put the ottoman that you are keeping for now by the chair and move it back to the couch when you want to watch a movie!
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 1:52PM
sharpkl
Inspiration
Smith · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    June 28, 2013 at 1:56PM
samj515
A nice floor lamp would work well in here. I would suggest something like an Arco lamp.
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 2:03PM
sharpkl
FYI
Hyde Park Loft · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 2:07PM
rwborden
I agree with other design gurus, Ottoman goes do a small coffee table maybe round metal (matching nail heads on couch) Lose the black couch, add a nice smaller scale chair, armless TJ Maxx/ Home Goods great for these and not expensive. Maybe add another on the other side near the bar stools if you can. A rug to define the space LOVE the graphic print above. LAMPS a must yes! Entertainment stand should be a small slim cabinet that you can close to hide TV, or something a little more modern like pic attached
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 2:14PM
katieannah
Love your colors. You already have heard about these: ottoman, needing area rug, coffee and end tables, So this is what I searched for to help you out. The area rug with contrasting colors would really pull the room together. I would not go very bold in color. Lighter will bring the color out in the couch and chair.
If you aren't in the market for the T.V stand find a nice table cloth and drape the table. Hope you find the right solution. Have a great day
1 Like    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 3:01PM
newhomeowner49684
YES! Thank you everyone!!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 3:19PM
Ann
So, what are you thinking newhomeowner? What ideas appeal to you?
    Bookmark   June 28, 2013 at 4:44PM
Your TV cabinet needs to be long and low, something like this:
BESTÅ Storage combination · More Info
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 1:48PM
Or this:
BESTÅ Storage combination · More Info
    Bookmark   June 30, 2013 at 1:50PM
newhomeowner49684
I like the silver lamp idea. I like the idea of a rug I can wash off with a hose. I like the idea of two smaller chairs. And I'm still looking for a coffee table.
    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:35AM
newhomeowner49684
Im going to pick up a tv stand today. A small black one.
    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 5:36AM
Don't do it. A small black one to replace your small brown one won't change the look at all.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 6:22AM
Buy a BIG black one...or a green one, or an orange one. Yes, I'm serious. I wouldn't have moved them into your room if I weren't.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    July 1, 2013 at 6:53AM
sharpkl
You are very fortunate to have such good advice on Houzz from some real good designers. If I were you I would go to some online sites such as Overstock.com-- Wayfair---Josh and Main---Kingslane--etc. and find something you feel might work and post a picture. Then get an opinion from the designers. It is easier than shopping and returning. Or worse yet living with a mistake. Believe me I am living with a lot of mistakes. Lol
You have great basic bones of a room just need to accessorize and a couple finishing pieces will do it.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    July 1, 2013 at 6:58AM
cait1204
Since there is a lotgoing on in this space, I would suggest going with a simple and small coffee table. I absolutely love the couch and think its a great addition to the room, BTW. I think two small cubes or a clear table would work the best, that way your color options aren't limited. I especially like the idea of the clear table because it gives the illusion of more space while serving a purpose.
    Bookmark   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    July 1, 2013 at 7:05AM
I'm on a mission to get a bit of color into everyone's life.
2 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    July 1, 2013 at 7:38AM
newhomeowner49684
I wish we had more furniture stores in my city!!
    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 8:52AM
newhomeowner49684
Thanks guys!
    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 8:52AM
shutterbug1964
I would go for some type of glass top coffee table.
1 Like    Bookmark   July 1, 2013 at 9:27AM
newhomeowner, I don't know where you live, but you can always buy online.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S39927155/
    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 3:52AM
Ann
newhomeowner - I needed a round side table for my living room and ordered the Tanner table from Pottery Barn. I suggested the Tanner coffee table to you earlier in this thread. I just wanted to let you know that mine arrived yesterday and it's a great, simple, classic table. I really love it! I don't think you could go wrong with the Tanner coffee table.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    July 2, 2013 at 7:16AM
newhomeowner49684
Thanks Ann.
What do you think about this for a TV stand? It would add color and bring out the red in the bar stools, bar lights, and other red accents in the kitchen.
2 Likes    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:22AM
newhomeowner49684
Heres a better pic of the kitchen
    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:27AM
newhomeowner49684
The tanner table is a wee bit out of my price range ;( this entire house was gutted in November. So, its been an expense to say the least. I posted before and after pics in a different discussion a while back.
    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:30AM
Ann
I think the TV stand you found could work. I know what you mean about the price of the tanner table. Maybe you could do without a coffee table for now and add it in the future when budget allows. If you plan to get end tables for lamps, you might not even need a coffee table (as I think has been previously mentioned).
1 Like    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 10:36AM
Timeless Appeal
In the mean time...can you push the ottoman under the table that is holding the TV? You can then pull it out for more seating, or use the ottoman on the left side of the sofa (which is really nice) in place if a love seat. Oh...move the black odd oversized chair to the basement. It's throwing everything off and the scale is wrong. Extend your drapery rods 12" longer than the windows and stack the drapes on each end. Hang high to make the ceilings appear taller. If and when you get the proper TV unit, you could always use the table (it's on) in front of the window. It will create an entrance.
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    July 2, 2013 at 10:40AM
I like your red console very much.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by newhomeowner49684    July 2, 2013 at 12:16PM
Ann
Oh yeah, the red console will look great!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 12:36PM
Ann
You know, groveraxle's picture made me think that maybe the best thing to do in the room is buy the red console and remove the black oversized chair and the ottoman. Then, just leave the rest of the room pretty blank until your budget allows you to slowly fill in with what you can afford. The couch is so great and the other stuff is kind of detracting from the great couch and you could get by with the couch and TV for now and it looks nice that way. I've got to say, I also like the look of a light colored, natural fiber rug as pictured. Great job groveraxle!
1 Like    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 2:19PM
TVCoverUps
I like the artwork hanging on your wall, however I think the TV is a distraction. You may want to consider TVCoverUps. Framed artwork(such as one of your current pieces or another work of art) adds to the room's decor until it swings upward to reveal your hidden tv. Units are available in automatic and manual lifts and allows for TV tilting hardware. TVCoverUps can built to accommodate AV equipment, Speakers, Blu-Ray/DVD, wires and other consoles. Each unit is built custom to the viewer and space, so it is always best to give us a call.
    Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 5:39PM
lntrcrts
You can put the TV in front of that window and put that loveseat where the TV is.
    Bookmark   July 3, 2013 at 10:38PM
jahrkid2
Paint the walls. Add some cool lamps with nice shades. Light that's what you need.
    Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 5:57PM
jahrkid2
But that ceiling fan light is WAY to bright.
    Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 5:57PM
Vent hood placement- new construction
Oh no- our GC used an old set of kitchen plans when...
Sarah Hughes
Where to place a microwave in my new kitchen design.
My kitchen design is nearly final using a professional,...
anncgavin
I'm no designer
I have no clue how to make this a family room. Or do...
cariewill
I [almost] give up!
I bought this pair of chairs for my LR almost 2 years...
Sandy G. ltd.
I need help with my exterior landscaping.
I have removed foundation plantings had overgrown and...
Anne Eskridge
Help w/ wall color to go with slate floor & dark wood trim in sunroom
The walls are currently painted Benjamin Moore Sherwood...
lnmelon
Narrow bathroom vanity light?
Hi all! I only have about 10" to work with above...
eesmerelda
Framed or frameless shower?
Hello everyone! My husband and I are building a house...
Marissa DiGennaro Burg
Table? Round or bigger rectangle
Looking at getting a different table. We are painting...
newhomegal