Need Help Revamping Living Space
laljokhadar
Hi,

I would appreciate any and all your opinions.

My living space is:
-hardwood (maple coloured)
-beige loveseat and couch
-dark wood coffee table
-maple coloured side table
-white side table
-maple rocking chair with a striped beige cushion, currently covered with a red throw.
-red, brown and beige lamps
- very colourful rug (eclectic, mexican)

It seems like everything is all over the place. I want to tie everything together so that it makes sense, with pillows and wall art or hangings, but not sure in what colours, tones, or textures.

Also, the apartment is an open concept so the living room and the kitchen are tied together. I have a beige oriental rug with red flowers in between the living space and the kitchen. In the kitchen I have a brown and beige rug. The countertops are light brown with beige in them. So whatever colours I incorporate in the living room I would have to somehow incorporate in the kitchen as well.

I am sorry for the long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
A picture is worth 1000 words. More photos please.
June 28, 2013 at 6:32pm        Thanked by laljokhadar
It sounds like your rugs do not work well together. Can you pick a favorite and show it to us? Or maybe we can get two out of three to work together, but just maybe. With all the neutrals you have would you be open to adding color, or even bright color, or would you prefer the backgrounds to stay neutral? Inquiring minds want to know!
June 28, 2013 at 6:42pm      Thanked by laljokhadar
laljokhadar
I would love to add colour as long as everything is tied together and works together somehow. Sorry about the mess by the way, we are still in the process of moving in.
June 28, 2013 at 6:52pm   
I would be inclined to keep only the colorful Mexican rug. I like your floors and your barstools. I'd move the other rugs to bedrooms and add seagrass rugs if you need more in the living/dining/kitchen area. I would take the turquoise color from your rug because that is the color I see in it that is a currently popular color. I'd add a couple of turquoise pillows to your beige sofa and loveseat, If the color in the rug is not actually turquoise, then pick another color.

I'll need to see more of the house to advise you on paint colors.
June 28, 2013 at 7:19pm      Thanked by laljokhadar
laljokhadar
Sounds great. The walls right now are off-white. Painting is not in our very near future, so what suggestions would you have for artwork? what colors should be in the artwork to pull everything together? What do you think of the attached pictures? Would artworks like this work with the mexican rug? or should i go in a different direction alltogether?
June 28, 2013 at 7:26pm   
If the rug indeed has turquoise in it, then you'll repeat that color in the pillows I suggested, and also carry it into the artwork. I also see black in the Mexican rug, and if it's not there, please forgive me, but that's what I'm seeing on my screen. So, taking colors from the rug, I would select a piece of art to go with those colors.

I like the designs of what you are showing above, but I'd try to match the rug colors more closely.
ABSTRACT LARGE PAINTINGS
Turquoise Poppy Wall Hanging
Bamboo Abstraction modern art, contemporary art, canvas art, wall art, art print
June 28, 2013 at 7:44pm        Thanked by laljokhadar
laljokhadar
Your ideas are wonderful thank you so much!
June 28, 2013 at 7:45pm   
Need help to revamp my living room
I desperately need to update my living room, new fire,...
Need help with revamping my living/dining room
I am still confused on what colors to paint my plain...
Need help in revamping my living/ dining area
Help!! Revamp Space
We have this little nook in our open floor plan lower...
New help with revamp small living room
Small living room connecting into small kitchen as...
I am buying a property with too much marble and stone
The kitchen is the worst part - granite counter tops...
How do you make a rented space feel like home?
If you're not allowed to make any drastic changes,...
How do you keep your belongings safe?
Jewellery, watches, passport, a secret diary - how...
Decorate the Houzz UK Office walls!
Hi everyone. We are looking for some good ideas for...
Help me re-style the buffet please
This antique buffet also serves as a foyer piece and...