Does crown moulding need to match the base board?
scooterpig
I'm about to redo the master bedroom, it's a decently sized room but actually has the lowest ceiling in the house at 8ft. I'm planning on painting the headboard wall in a rich plum and the other walls in a warm mink shade. We'd like to add crown moulding to give the room some polish and have found a nice clean style in alder which looks beautiful when stained dark brown, and which looks great against our furniture.

Trouble is, all the existing baseboard, moulding (downstairs) and door and window casings are white, as are all the interior doors, which are standard 6-panel doors. The windows are also white vinyl. Would it look odd to have dark moulding and white baseboard? Should we change the baseboard and casings too? But then, what do we do about the doors?

As a side note, I'd actually like to change the doors in the master bedroom and the ensuite anyway, but can't do it just now and am worried it would look odd if they don't match the rest of the interior doors!

As you can tell, I'm very confused! Please help!
Fred S
I'll just cut right to the doors. You can probably find a wood six panel door to match your existing doors, and paint the hall side and stain the room side. Doors and windows look good with white if the casing AND jamb are stained. The jamb is the tricky part. Changing over everything and matching up the latch and hinge mortise. It is best to do that part of the job all at once, not in stages as you suggest. With the windows being white, I would be inclined to decorate around that. Stain the jamb and casing, but leave the doors painted. Maybe 2 shades lighter than the wall if white isn't doing it for you. Then the only jamb you would need to replace is the bath door, as the bedroom jamb is technically in the hall.
June 28, 2013 at 11:14PM   
Karin Madgwick
Is crown moulding what we in Australia call cornice? If it is, then the cornice should be white as is the ceiling, skirting and windows. The doors and frames should be white as well leaving the feature wall as the feature.
June 29, 2013 at 2:10AM   
Nick Dellos Creations
The question you are asking is about taste and design. The funny thing about success or "unsuccess" in design is that it is based on the amalgamated final effect and very small differences can make big impact on that outcome. Rules can be broken and bent, but experience and talent are what will prevail. So the short answer is to try what you like in theory and see if it looks like you had envisioned. If not, adding a coat of paint can pull you to the safer place. I have seen rooms that looked "all wrong" suddenly come to life when the furniture and staging were finished. The designer had planned it all in their mind and the broken rules seemed to make it more dynamic. In other cases, broken rules came out poorly. Look at it as an adventure and a learning process and it can't be too bad!
June 29, 2013 at 4:53AM   
In theory all the mouldings should have similar style / profile in order to have a more cohesive feel.
June 29, 2013 at 5:02AM   
Timeless Appeal
I would keep the crown molding white to match your other trim. If you stain the crown dark, it wouldn't stand out against the mink color on the wall as much, and would give the room a "where did this come from" look, rather than a cohesive look with all the trim colors matching.
June 29, 2013 at 5:08AM   
scooterpig
Thank you everyone for your responses. We've decided we're going to take the chance and stain the moulding (cornice) a dark tone, and if it doesn't look right we'll paint it white! The stain will match our lovely dark bedroom furniture and the floating mantel over the fireplace, so hopefully it will look cohesive. We have a couple of other rooms in the house where we've installed dark and contemporary wooden pelmets which hide functional curtain hardware and they are stained to match the furniture and look 'right', even though the trimwork is white, so hopefully this will be the same! We're doing the job ourselves anyway so it's not a big issue to paint it again if needed.
June 30, 2013 at 5:04PM   
Island Lighting
On a 10' x 4' island, I want 3 pendants. What should...
Question re: Flow - Keep the same style throughout house or not?
Hi there, We are in the process of redoing our basement....
Exterior paint color
White? or Dark color trimmed in White? Siding is...
Yay or nay? Mirrored kitchen cabinets
Creating a disappearing strip of cabinets in your kitchen...
Help! 70s tile bathroom
I just rented a new home and the bathroom is great,...