when you and your partners tastes dont match
Ahmed Fathi
I am just having this issue that my fiancee's tastes are totally different, she likes traditional classic warm neutral tones of color, etc. while I am more of the modern comfy bold colors king of guy so we have an issue with the finishing and furnishing of our new apartment..
what would you do in that place? someone suggested splitting the rooms between us for decoration work, she would decorate the kitchen and salons and I would get the living room and the entry way, but won't this make it difficult to keep the space (open space mostly) coherent?

what would you suggest to help with such case?
OnePlan
Hi ! Compromise compromise compromise !!! In order to make the apartment flow right - some continuity is needed throughout - so if that can be achieved in a paint colour for example then you could have some modern areas ( as long as the flow continues ) by having modern style American walnut furniture with cream leather soft furnishings in one area with more traditional American walnut furniture with cream cotton soft furnishings - to get the balance right and to make sure it doesn't end up a mess though I would strongly suggest you hire a designer to guide you through the process !! That word 'compromise' comes up a lot in married life by the way !!!! :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   Thanked by Ahmed Fathi    June 29, 2013 at 1:15AM
Ahmed Fathi
you wouldn't believe I am an architect myself =)) .. thank you for your advice
1 Like    Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 1:19AM
Debbie Basnett, Vintage Scout Interiors
Like One Plan, my first thought was to hire a designer. We often deal with situations like these and it's easier for both parties to compromise when ideas are suggested by a third party. Would be money well spent.

Without seeing the space, I would basically suggest off white/ light neutral walls, clean line, no oversized, traditional style upholstery in neutrals: linens or leathers. Glass cocktail table, parsons style case goods. Keep window treatments simple: shutters or drapery panels on rods. Then your bold tastes can be brought in with art, pillows, accessories, occassional furniture, even area rugs.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Ahmed Fathi    June 29, 2013 at 3:10AM
Fred S
If you are an architect, save your creativity for work. Come home to something more neutral. Let your wife have her creativity here. Just find a few things you like to compliment it, with her permission of course.
3 Likes    Bookmark   Thanked by Ahmed Fathi    June 29, 2013 at 3:25AM
apple_pie_order
A designer will help find solutions that both of you like. Compromise is key. If you use your home to entertain potential clients for your architecture business, it is nice to have a unified and coherent scheme rather than a hodgepodge, but it is even more important to have both of you love the space.
    Bookmark   Thanked by Ahmed Fathi    June 29, 2013 at 6:00AM
Ahmed Fathi
so it's basically compromise and try to get in a few touches that would fit in with her style, I think I can live with that .. hmm, thank you guys \ ladies
1 Like    Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 8:42PM
Madeline
And always bring her flowers!
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 9:15PM
kathleen MK
At work we have an unofficial support group of wives of architects who share our home decorating woes. After 31 years of design disputes and compromise we are still in love and still don't agree on everything. Treat your wife as well as you do your clients. Happy wife , happy life.
2 Likes    Bookmark   June 29, 2013 at 9:17PM
Is the stripe rug a do or don't for the space?
Working on decorating my sitting room. Found the attached...
pharkins
What should you know when you buy an old home?
There are special challenges when buying an older home....
Caviar taste on hot dog budget! PLEASE help me PIMP MY KITCHEN!! :)
Downsized from a home that had a designer kitchen w/all...
addicted208
Our house is so big and empty - I don't know what to decorate first
This is NOT a common problem I know - but we ended...
Tracey Ewart
Sister does not agree with my pillows not matching
Today my sister for the 2nd time mentioned "its not...
tea7779311
Furniture Layout in Living Room
My living room has a beautiful brick fireplace and...
thomast1223
Help! Is this mirror too big for Powder Room?
I found a rectangular silver metallic mirror for $40,...
Kelley
Lobby redecorating-cost estimate
As a committee member for our condo lobby I am trying...
ali4gator
Which tiles to use for tub deck?
I'm having a tub deck dilemma, and would love your...
magsmayers
Furniture arrangement help for new Family Room!
We are finishing a renovation that opens up the kitchen...
khinlei