Cushion Emergency! No idea...
sharon3986
Here is the living room of our weekender at the beach which ( as you can see) is small - but probably a little bigger than it looks in the pics! My dilemma is the cushions. What colour and how many? The sofas are charcoal and the accents are red and that off-white wash colour that beach furniture comes in! Would love your thoughts. PS. The window coverings are being replaced and will be a light neutral colour.
carolins
Hi,
how lovely that you have a beach home.
I know you mentioned the window coverings, but are you doing something about that carpet too? :-D

Pillows (or cushions):
here's a fun ideabook about the art of throwing pillows (just follow the link under the picture)

June 29, 2013 at 2:46am   
carolins
I would add another colour to your living room. And I would remove the bright red runway from the coffee table. I like the dining table with the red chairs, but if you keep too much to a colour scheme of dark grey, off white and bright red, you'll have a hard time to create a cozy feel and make it look less stark.
You could add orange to the mix, or turquoise/teal, blue, green, golden yellow if you like...

Chapman House
Personal Home Tour

Turquoise LA Interior Design - Venice
Hush Homes - Oakville Model Home
June 29, 2013 at 2:52am   
carolins
Currently it doesn't say Beach Home to me, which is a shame I think. Would you consider painting the brick walls? I'd say white and hang some beach themed pics on them. Or if you really don't want to paint the brick, still hang some beach themed art on them. You don't have to go over the top with the beach theme though.

Eco Pillow, Love This Place
Threshold Oversize Ombré Oblong Pillow
Color Stripe Pillow Cover
Beach Sign Oblong Decorative Pillow

Ocean Photograph by Lupen Grainne Photography
Art Print & Posters. Carlos Casamayor
June 29, 2013 at 3:00am   
www.newjerseyaccents.com
I have to agree with Carolins, the brick wall doesn't say beach at all. I love the room Carolins picked above with the pale gray walls and coral accents.
June 29, 2013 at 3:42am   
Fred S
What is it supposed to be if not brick? A sand castle? Have you ever heard the story of the three little pigs? :) :))
June 29, 2013 at 3:49am   
sharon3986
Thanks so much for your thoughts Carolins. (Not so) minor disaster with the hot water system will mean the carpet will be replaced any week now! I purposely haven't sought to go beach as our apartment is on the Gold Coast in Australia and the traditional beach thing is everywhere. The walls are quite a nice contrast in real life and while we thought about treating them, at the end of the day we don't live here full time so we are happy to make less time consuming cosmetic changes. I'm still working out the styling so your comments are most welcome!
June 29, 2013 at 3:52am   
carolins
Sorry to hear about the water damage. I was wondering why you hadn't mentioned the gaping hole in the carpet ;-)
Why don't you put a round bowl on the coffee table to break up the rectangular lines. You could even fill it with shells (I know, too much beach?) http://www.freedom.com.au/homewares/decorator-accents/bowls-accessories/23210295/bindi-platter-spun-metal-bronze-colour/

If you add some texture and pattern and different shapes it will be an even lovelier weekend retreat than it is now.
June 29, 2013 at 5:40am   
Genevieve
since you already have a lot of red going

June 29, 2013 at 5:48am     
crikit33
You can go beachy without looking like a Sunsations exploded in your home! I would add textured teal pillows like those below:

Remove the red runner and replace with beach accents like coral or a bowl of sea urchin shells. Add a sea grass basket next to the sofa. I'm also a brick purist, so I would leave the walls but add a painting over the left-hand sofa that pulls in both the teal and the red. http://www.etsy.com/listing/93077654/abstract-flower-painting-circles-aqua?ref=sr_gallery_18&ga_search_query=teal+painting&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery http://www.etsy.com/listing/108025690/painting-dog-art-acrylic-18-x-26-dog?ref=sr_gallery_37&ga_search_query=teal+painting&ga_page=2&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery
The dog photo is ridiculous - but fun! You have a lovely contemporary feel here - be playful!
June 29, 2013 at 6:25am     
Mark
I think some of these IKAT floral cushions would be a nice choice.
http://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/116311499/both-sides-ikat-floral-decorative-pillow?ref=market
June 29, 2013 at 6:27am     
carolins
crikit33, that dog is hilarious :-)
June 29, 2013 at 10:19am   
crikit33
Yes, carolins, I had to buy it myself! But theoretically, that's what should go in that spot - something whimsical!
June 29, 2013 at 10:27am     
despinach
Navy pillows of course for such a beautiful space! On etsy you can find a huge collection... I would choose something blue-white-red. http://www.etsy.com/search?q=navy%20pillow&view_type=gallery&ship_to=GR&ref=auto4
June 29, 2013 at 10:49am   

consider changing the window treatments to white?
June 29, 2013 at 10:53am     
sharon3986
I had never actually thought about bringing in another colour and am liking the idea of the teal! I also recognise that everything is quite angular and I need something round. I had intended to get a different coffee table but in the end the one matching the TV unit was on sale and that was that! Agree that it needs a round thing on it though. I have lots of fantastic art but am still getting a feel for where / what I should hang so I am not drilling holes in the bricks and then working out I don't like it! The area on the left of the widow is directly in front as you walk in the door and is crying for a statement piece. I originally thought of a lamp, then bought the light coloured one, and moved the red one, now there are enough lamps! I did see this fantastic painting yesterday though... Watch this space! In the meantime, back to my original cushion dilemma. Something like this maybe?
June 29, 2013 at 1:55pm     
sharon3986
Or this?
June 29, 2013 at 1:57pm     
portugalvba
June 29, 2013 at 2:00pm   
crikit33
I love the idea of solid teal, solid white, and some patterned ones mixed in, like the first and fourth pillows.
June 29, 2013 at 3:58pm   
carolins
Sharon, love your pick of pillows :-) Let's number them from top left to bottom right, 1 - 6.
3, 5 and 6 will make a lovely combo, chic and calm
1, 2 and 4 are a happy bunch together
3, 4 and 6 will also make a nice combo

And if you throw them all together... whayhay... fun, fun, fun. Whatever you do, they will certainly liven up your living room. Great. Keep us posted please.
June 30, 2013 at 12:13am     
despinach
So, now that we've got the numbers (well done, carolins!)... I would probably choose 1,3,4 and 6. I wouldn't choose floral. Instead of 6 you can also use a lumbar pillow (like this http://www.etsy.com/listing/127977867/teal-diagonal-linen-blend-dip-dye-pillow?ref=sr_gallery_22&ga_search_query=teal+lumbar+pillow&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GR&ga_page=1&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=teal+lumbar+pillow).
You can also use two solid ones like this (http://www.etsy.com/listing/109811297/decorative-designer-turquoise-teal-plush?ref=sr_gallery_12&ga_search_query=teal+lumbar+pillow&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=GR&ga_page=1&ga_search_type=all&ga_facet=teal+lumbar+pillow) and two x number 1 and a number 6 for one sofa and then two solid ones and two x number 4 and a lumbar pillow for the other sofa.
June 30, 2013 at 1:28am     
Picky comment here…what bothers me about #2, and I see this often, is the manufacturer, trying to squeeze as many pillows as possible from the yardage, doesn't center the print. Drives me nuts!!! :>)
June 30, 2013 at 10:12am   
I think you're putting the cart before the horse. Art comes first. Once you've got the art hung, the pillows will declare themselves.
June 30, 2013 at 1:37pm     
Nancy Hehmann
Sharon, I love the last two blue pillows. The color is sensational. Would be great with white. You might consider looking on Etsy.com. Etsy has photography, paintings, and pillows. There are a lot of shops all over the world and most people ship internationally. But if you want shops owners located in Australia just type pillows made in Australia in the search engine. You can do the same for Art or photography.
June 30, 2013 at 1:50pm   
sharon3986
Thanks everyone for your advice. I am on the hunt and will keep you updated and post pics when its done!
June 30, 2013 at 2:05pm     
2nd post for ideas to lift this area - cushion ideas
Lounge and rug need to stay, but would love some ideas...
Any idea of the source for the cushioned platform base?
Do you have a source for the cushioned platform base?...
Ideas on applying stripes to a round cushion in a kitchen nooh. Thanks
I found the perfect fabric, but have no idea on how...
Ideas for cushion colours/ style
A friend has a dark green leather lounge and a red...
Am I heading in the right direction?
My goal is cottage style with craftsman influences....
finishing our basement
The entire unfinished basement measures 1,171 cm by...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...
What can I do with this remodeled space?
This great newly remodeled area was once a small, old...
Colour Scheme with Grey tile floors
Hi! We recently purchased a new home and all of the...