Thoughts on painting kitchen cabinets
wheelhouse
We are about to take possession of a custom ranch that has maple cabinets throughout. Home is 9 yrs. old and cabinets are in new condition. My wife has always wanted a white kitchen so we are planning on spraying cabinets and island a shade of white using an epoxy paint from Sherwin-Williams. The home has painted wood trim w/ stained doors. Would like to hear others thoughts on this and if this seems like a good idea. Thanks!
Timeless Appeal
Absolutely paint the cabinets! Being you already have counter tops, be careful to use a color that coordinates with them. One suggestion is to avoid that "home depot" cheap white kitchen cabinets look, would be is after the white paint dries, apply a brown glaze over the cabinets. A very easy thing to do and it takes the paint job up a notch. It will look like a custom kitchen. Remove most of the glaze, but leave it in the groves. There are many many pictures and tutorials online (you tube or Pinterest) of this technique.
June 29, 2013 at 4:42AM     
I have a white kitchen and I love it, but my cabinets are original to the house which was built in 1967. Your cabinets are beautiful and I would not paint them at all. And Timeless Appeal's suggestion of a glaze is really a personal choice, I don't like glazes at all but a lot of people do. I would suggest creating an Ideabook with cabinets similar to yours, as well as white painted cabinets and glazed cabinets. Then before you do anything, step back and review all your picture choices to make sure it's really what you want. Here are some examples: [houzz=White Kitchen Cabinets]
[houzz=better homes and garden storage 2011]
June 29, 2013 at 5:06AM     
Agreed with not painting the cabinets yet. Try a wall color that contrasts a bit with the cabinets to add some 'life' into it.

June 29, 2013 at 5:13AM     
CDR Design
If your only goal is to have white cabints, then paint the cabinets whitel

If your goal is to update the kitchen, yet keep it timeless, I do not think it is a good idea to paint your cabinets white. You have beautiful maple cabinets and you are painting them white? I would devote my $ and time to:

-remove the stuff on top of the cabinets---looks dated and junky
-remove short backsplash and replace with backsplash that reaches to the cabinets.
-remove valance that is cutting your window in half.
-acquire all stainless steel appliances.
June 29, 2013 at 5:24AM     
I agree with cdrdesign. Personally, I would keep the maple cabinets. They are beautiful and have a more durable natural finish than if you paint them. Some of my favorite maple kitchens:
Rhodes Architecture + Light
Kitchen
Riverwoods renovation
Ellentuck Interiors
Achtenberg Residence
June 29, 2013 at 5:43AM     
wheelhouse
Thanks for all of the feedback - really good info. and links to other helpful ideas.
CDR all of what u listed will be done as soon as we have possession; we agree completely.
June 29, 2013 at 5:53AM     
CDR Design
I really like the photos Feeny posted. The Ellentuck Interiors one gives you a lot of "white" without painting those beautiful maple cabinets.

down cabinet memory lane:

80's: dark
late 80's: pickled
90's: white
2000: dark cherry
2010: white and grey

I may have my dates a little off, but you get the idea. Stick with the beautiful bones of your house. Update with accents.
June 29, 2013 at 6:06AM     
Vineela Yarlagadda
The following are the options i can see:
1) Paint the walls white.... May be change the curtain color to orange/red and match the bar stools with the same color...
2) Paint the cabinets white..(dark colors may make the house look dull because there is not enough light....
June 30, 2013 at 12:49AM     
Amy Stanley
I have to concur with not painting your gorgeous maple cabinets- I would try wall color and decor change first!
June 30, 2013 at 4:40AM     
Mary Rast Interiors
I believe that white cabinets would be fantastic. I would also suggest a solid dark counter such as Caesarstone or maybe a carerra type marble (requires maintenance or patina). I feel the speckled counters are dated. Don't use a 4" backsplash, go for a tile or continue the counter material up to the bottom of the upper cabinets. Colors are very personal and white cabinets with grey or black counters will create a nice contast with a neutral palate and will allow you to change wall and accessory colors as you wish! Good luck!
July 1, 2013 at 4:11PM   
Thoughts on using poplar for kitchen cabinets that will be painted
I am in the process of designing a complete kitchen...
Thoughts on adding cabinets to existing Kitchen?
Opinions wanted! We just bought a new house (haven't...
Penny For Your Thoughts! Which wood for New Kitchen Cabinets?
If you were getting new cabinets and your cabinets...
Kitchen Cabinet pull outs? your thoughts?
Since I am replacing my lower kitchen cabinets, I have...
To shutter or not to shutter!
I'm working on window treatments for this room which...
Patio roof question
Is it possible to do a roof like in one of the bottom...
Shutters and/or window boxes??
Hi Houzzers! I'm feeling that the addition of some...
Help for Bathroom vanity sink upgrade
Hello, I want to upgrade vanity for floating cabinet...
Making my bedroom look bigger
I'm trying to redecorate So that I feel there is space...