Need help for my kitchen
Debra Kokesch
We are remodeling a 1970 rambler and want to completely redo the whole house. I need ideas quick for the kitchen. It is 10 by 12. On the other side of the blank wall is a fireplace. I like cream cabinets or wood. Please give ideas
Debra Kokesch
Should I go with cream cabinets or wood?
1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 8:08AM
tink3l
Light color wood like oak is timeless, and for your walls if you go off white, cream , but not so it looks dirty it will look bigger already. You could do you back splash with color for a pop of color with tiles for a double purpose. Just my thoughts.. sl
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 8:46AM
Depends on what else will go in the kitchen.
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 12:07PM
Debra Kokesch
We are planning to gut the whole kitchen and do wood floor too? We also have stainless steel appliances. I keep seeing cream cabinets online and didn't know if I could pull that off or if I would get sick of it. Right in the house I live in, I have oak. We just redid ours 3 yrs ago. Then we bought this.
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 12:18PM
I would do wood look tile for the kitchen floor. White cabinets.

2 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 12:31PM
kathleen MK
Cream cabinets would be classic and look good with any shade of wood floors. it looks like the bare wall was a place for a small pedestal table(1970 Sarin?) so you could do a small breakfast bar or bistro table and a couple seats there. or add a hutch or pie safe if it's more of a cottage look you want. the best way to banish the 70's look is changing the countertop and backsplash to a nice neutral and changing the flooring. if you keep these items neutral you can change colors and styles quickly with accessories and wall paint.
2 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 12:49PM
Debra Kokesch
The bare wall we are thinking more cupboards and counters and maybe a small island in the middle?
1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 1:01PM
Debra Kokesch
Would love to do something this in there
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 1:04PM
Bethany Crenshaw, AKBD - Lowe's Bashford Manor
Make sure you have room for the island. The National Kitchen and Bath Association recommends between 42"-48" between the kitchen countertop and the island. You might see if you can find or construct a box about the size of the island you are thinking of and practice walking around it to make sure it is what you want before you order new cabinets.
1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 1:06PM
sstarr
These kitchens were built for dinette sets, not islands. As your kitchen is 10' wide, your island could only reasonably be 2 to 2.5 feet wide. Are you removing a wall? Thanks
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 1:28PM
Debra Kokesch
No we are not removing a wall
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 3:36PM
Debra Kokesch
Our table would go in this area, where the solid wall is. We are going to close up the door and put a patio door where the window is by the wall out onto the deck
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 3:42PM
sstarr
You could perhaps have a peninsula rather than an island; does that interest you?
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 5:20PM
Debra Kokesch
I don't know, I haven't thought about that
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 11:18PM
Debra Kokesch
Could I add cream cabinets even though I don't have anything else cream colored in the house?
0 Likes   June 30, 2013 at 9:39AM
sstarr
Sure, why not? If you like cream (I do too), then put them in. They will make you happy every day.
1 Like   June 30, 2013 at 9:41AM
Glass Tile Store
I agree with Darzy. Painting the cabinets white is a fast way to make your kitchen look more modern. The colors it has now make it look old--and definitely the floor tile it has now--that has to go! A modern backsplash should make it look more up to date as well. An example of white cabinets plus a mother of pearl backsplash we did not too long ago http://www.glasstilestore.com/mother-of-pearl-oyster-white-tile.html
0 Likes   July 4, 2013 at 10:09PM
nwduck
Don't know how long before you gut the kitchen (and if relatively soon leave existing, painting cabinets correctly is a pain unless you are a good DIYer). The flooring seems the worst element. Temporarily, what if you worked with the existing cabinets, added more streamlined black hardware, lose the wood band over the sink, and did a cool design on the floor with different colors of marmoleum? Work with the orange. Bring on the funk. Except for that carpet in the living room. :)
0 Likes   July 5, 2013 at 12:49AM
Need help for my kitchen (my dad's kitchen)
So want to get a kitchen renovation.. What colour do...
What doesn't need help?! My bathrooms, my kitchen, my laundry room.
My house is from 1979 and it totally looks it. We've...
Need help with my backsplash in my kitchen.
I have flat paneled Benjamin Moore "Chantilly Lace"...
i need help deciding how to trim my windows in my den/kitchen
the window is 72" x 72" , i already installed interior...
Need help with stair design
We are planning on replacing stair treads, risers and...
Is this backsplash okay?
I bought this beautiful Turkish honed marble tile for...
What has happened to this site/app?
I have been visiting this site via the app for quite...
master rooom
i want to adjust bed room, bathroom, dressing rooom,...
Looking for ideas for living room and dining room
I am looking for help on redoing my living room and...