Total Kitchen Gut?
d12345
I am thinking of getting my kitchen redone. After speaking to a few contractors they all said the entire kitchen needs to be gutted. My only concern is that the walls are plaster and the demo would affect the walls on the adjacent sides. I would love to just replace the floor, cabinets, countertops and appliances. The cabinets and appliances are in a L-shape and the rest of the kitchen is an open concept. Any suggestions?
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
I feel these professionals are telling you what needs to happen before it happens and giving you the facts. They are not half way through the project and holding you hostage. These professionals do this everyday and most so not want unhappy clients so the truth is their best tactic.
You will find that in order to get details from this online community you will need to upload photos from every angle.
0 Likes   Thanked by d12345    June 29, 2013 at 8:32AM
motownmom
Pictures would help. I also have plaster walls and have redone my kitchen twice, simply by changing decor and painting cabinets. It would help to see the cabinets and room layout.

In response to the advice you've been given, I'd ask if the layout of the kitchen works for you? Is it convenient to do food preparation and clean up?
1 Like   Thanked by d12345    June 29, 2013 at 8:43AM
d12345
I will post the pics later today. The layout will be the same. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 10:42AM
DMH DESIGN
d12345-for a complete update & remodel, a complete gut to face of stud is usually best. It gives all trades the flexibility to work within the wall space to change locations of outlets, lights, plumbing, hood vents (downdraft ranges), and even windows, if necessary. Codes for all trades have changed significantly over the life of your home, so especially with things like electrical, where you probably want can lights in your ceiling, under cabinet lighting, double ovens and now code requires more outlets now than when the home was built, it just makes the process much easier. Plaster and lath is typically 3/4" thick, and standard drywall thickness is 1/2" thick, so trying to work around leaving the plaster in place and trying to patch the finish is often more trouble than it is worth, for the reasons I describe. Time is money, and this will help save you both. Happy Houzzing.
0 Likes   Thanked by d12345    June 29, 2013 at 6:49PM
Totally gutting kitchen, need help
Who is cabinet manufacturer? What type of wood and...
victor7136
Total gut kitchen/dining/living
We are closing on a 1970 beach house next week. Need...
kawa kawasaki
Need help on New Kitchen in a 1930's home that is totally being gutted
The home is stone and we used the outside walls on...
pamedpet
Total gut renovation for guest / room
These were 2 bedrooms. One was a normal size bedroom...
tigers008
Totally Gutted House - Now What?
Remodeling kitchen, dining room, master bedroom and...
hamptonurn
What is the forecast for kitchen cabinets?
I am building a new home. I will be making choices...
mzurad
I need help/ ideas for covered porch proeject
Through out the entire porch ceilings we are installing...
clandry77
Furniture Dilemma: Beautiful Rosewood vs. Bachelor Pad
Three people are moving into a two story condo; a mid...
asianp
Fireplace mantle too high?
Recently remodeled this fireplace, but it feels like...
lindseylulu00
Bedroom Design Help
Hi! I recently re-did my teenage daughter's bedroom,...
simerjit