Total Kitchen Gut?
d12345
June 29, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am thinking of getting my kitchen redone. After speaking to a few contractors they all said the entire kitchen needs to be gutted. My only concern is that the walls are plaster and the demo would affect the walls on the adjacent sides. I would love to just replace the floor, cabinets, countertops and appliances. The cabinets and appliances are in a L-shape and the rest of the kitchen is an open concept. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
I feel these professionals are telling you what needs to happen before it happens and giving you the facts. They are not half way through the project and holding you hostage. These professionals do this everyday and most so not want unhappy clients so the truth is their best tactic.
You will find that in order to get details from this online community you will need to upload photos from every angle.
0 Likes   Thanked by d12345    June 29, 2013 at 8:32AM
motownmom
Pictures would help. I also have plaster walls and have redone my kitchen twice, simply by changing decor and painting cabinets. It would help to see the cabinets and room layout.

In response to the advice you've been given, I'd ask if the layout of the kitchen works for you? Is it convenient to do food preparation and clean up?
1 Like   Thanked by d12345    June 29, 2013 at 8:43AM
d12345
I will post the pics later today. The layout will be the same. Looking forward to hearing your suggestions!
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 10:42AM
PRO
DMH DESIGN
d12345-for a complete update & remodel, a complete gut to face of stud is usually best. It gives all trades the flexibility to work within the wall space to change locations of outlets, lights, plumbing, hood vents (downdraft ranges), and even windows, if necessary. Codes for all trades have changed significantly over the life of your home, so especially with things like electrical, where you probably want can lights in your ceiling, under cabinet lighting, double ovens and now code requires more outlets now than when the home was built, it just makes the process much easier. Plaster and lath is typically 3/4" thick, and standard drywall thickness is 1/2" thick, so trying to work around leaving the plaster in place and trying to patch the finish is often more trouble than it is worth, for the reasons I describe. Time is money, and this will help save you both. Happy Houzzing.
0 Likes   Thanked by d12345    June 29, 2013 at 6:49PM