Ugly ceiling beam! I need ideas! I'm about to set a match to the place
ManLand LandMan
I like modern and sleek!
erinsean
Paint beam the same color as the ceiling and watch it disappear! If it is hanging down away from the ceiling, either paint it or remove it (unless it is structurally necessary). Either way paint it the color of the ceiling.
4 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 11:43AM
I'd also remove the ceiling fan/light which brings attention to the beam as well. You could install really modern track lighting on the sides of the beam to make the beam look more modern and useful too!
2 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 11:52AM
Sleek lighting for a beam. BTW..if you can, arrange the furniture so the beam doesn't "cut into" a person sitting below.

1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 11:57AM
indianpatti
Hold your breath .. I would add more beams! If you are adding a dark wood floor, would look good!
3 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 12:15PM
pattihenderson..I was thinking that too with more beams! But I was leaning toward all white...

1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 12:21PM
Joanne Jakab Interior Design
YES, more would seem like it was a purposeful design element and I like the idea of painting them out. I see it is a pitched ceiling so even adding 2 more would make a statement. Absolutely move the fan or if you paint the beams white install a white fan that visually disappears too.
The fireplace is the focal - I would suggest creating a large conversation area around it but with furnishings flanking not facing it. Dump the current oversized chairs and go for a modern sectional like Darzy is showing you.
At the moment the only interesting element in the room is the beam with fan so of course you focus on it.
3 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 12:33PM
kathleen MK
Paint it white to fade into ceiling and add bold art work to draw eyes away from the beam. You could change window treatments to something sleeker in lines but with some color.
Also the beam wouldn't stick out so much is there were more wood elements in the room like tables and bookcases.
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 1:00PM
Need help for my powder room
What colors should I get for my window treatment and...
Denise
What's on your nightstand?
What do you keep handy when you go to sleep at night?...
Need help with my kitchen
I am thinking of remodeling my kitchen on budget......
dorota
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
stryker
Paint selection for "lighthouse" room
We have an octagonal addition on our house, that was...
The Epicurean Annapolitan