New roof
Stewart Maguire
I was thinking about putting a front porch to the left of the front door. Like an arbor and some pavers. Also any cool paint ideas for the exterior? I was thinking about some sort of olive color ?
TanCalGal
The roof appears gray. I'd paint the house a light gray-off-white in the tone of the roof color. Add olive accent to door and shutters. Beef up the post. House numbers in script over garage. South Facade Katie Rosenfeld Interiors Custom Script Address Signs
July 2, 2013 at 7:09pm        Thanked by Stewart Maguire
Agreed with modifying the post to a more substantial design.
July 3, 2013 at 7:07am      Thanked by Stewart Maguire
crp1234
Agree - pull the shutters and do an olive (bonefish restaurant) green.
July 3, 2013 at 12:04pm      Thanked by Stewart Maguire
Stewart Maguire
Really? Get rid of the shutters?
July 3, 2013 at 4:30pm   
Stewart Maguire
What about the porch to right of the door ? Good or bad idea ? i was gonna just put up and arbor .
July 3, 2013 at 4:31pm   
Stewart Maguire
The roof has a brown & grey look to it it called Weathered Wood.
July 3, 2013 at 4:33pm   
TanCalGal
I would not bother with the porch or arbor. I'd remove the palm tree, large rock, 2 banners, lower the hanging fern about 6-10", lower the hedge about 10-12 ".
July 3, 2013 at 4:46pm      Thanked by Stewart Maguire
Stewart Maguire
Ok I'll clean it up .
July 4, 2013 at 12:56pm     
cjpines
The porch idea is great. Take out the boxwood hedge, it's too heavy looking and plant some grasses, etc. The olive green color sounds good. If you keep the shutters paint a complimentary color that goes with olive.
July 4, 2013 at 1:11pm      Thanked by Stewart Maguire
Stewart Maguire
You like the porch ? i was gonna just gonna put like a cedar arbor from the door to th stone section,
July 4, 2013 at 1:19pm   
pamelasideas
Hi Stewart, I have to agree with fellow houzz folks,,,,,shutters out, big post in, Will add this, get rid of all the front landscaping. Start over.....follow the curve of sidewalk and add at least 3 feet to that side and up to front of house, (difficult for me to explain hope you understand) redo the front of home, add an awesome water element and quiet place for seating, potted plants, etc,patio blocks or flagstone to take the place of front porch....change front door to something that brings it all to together.....have fun...
July 4, 2013 at 1:33pm   
Stewart Maguire
Well you really cant see the front door but its beautiful . Its has wrought iron in the glass .
July 4, 2013 at 1:36pm   
Stewart Maguire
I was thinking of adding a patio like this one to the right of the entrance. What do you think.
July 4, 2013 at 1:38pm   
cjpines
I think your idea of a patio right of entrance would look a lot better than the walkway, good idea. Or do a slate patio if it would go with everything else.
July 4, 2013 at 2:24pm        Thanked by Stewart Maguire
TanCalGal
If you build a porch, the porch roof will darken the front room with the double windows (living room?). This type of porch is too narrow to be totally functional so they are rarely used as a porch. If they *are* used, they look messy with chairs facing this way and that. I say: sit in back and have front look more formal and curb-appealing.
July 5, 2013 at 10:28am      Thanked by Stewart Maguire
cathyjoco
Hi Stewart, I think your house is very pretty; I think it needs to be updated, rather than invest in an arbor, I think your money would be much better spent on a new entry. I think you should have a new walkway from the front door to the driveway, it should encompass the red area, all the way across to the wooden post. I think the new lines should be straight, eliminating the curve. At the new corner I would incorporate a light; or another option would be to add a light to both sides of the garage. I think I would use a palos verde stone, or red brick in a harringbone pattern, or a grey flagstone. After that is done, you could decorate with some large matching pots. Your numbers could be bronze and put onto the garage wall or a special plaque could be made. You can also add a kickplate to your door. Also, it you don't want to remove all your landscape, it looks like you can cut back all the shrubbery - most of the time you can do this in early fall by cutting all the side branches off of the main stem - do not cut the top. In spring you should start to see new growth and at that point cut off as much of the top as you want. Your tree looks like a beautiful shade tree, I think you just need to create some interest... (BTW, I have a flag pole too, and I had to cut the pole, hang it straight from the house in order to get it up and out of the way. I would do the same with yours and move it to the other side the wood column, so that the walkway is not obstructed)
July 5, 2013 at 12:06pm      Thanked by Stewart Maguire
Should sidelights on a front door be the same height as the door?
Imagine a horizontal plank door in the middle. This...
colours
Will it be nice if I have walnut kitchen and walnut...
Help! What to do with empty spots!!
At the advice of you sweet Houzzers, I ditched my tall...
Need help with design & planning tile layout for my small bathroom
I've finally chosen the tile for my bathroom remodel...
Window in Shower.
I am working on a remodel that we are fixing and selling,...